Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

18 minutes ago, number305 said:

Microsoft has repeatedly said as much.  However with the tag of - wherever gamepass is available.  I do think that if PS or Nintendo allowed gamepass to be on their system that MS would be all for it - but it would pretty much dry up sales of games for their hardware.  MS is getting pretty close to checkmate.

Imagine if Nintendo adopts gamepass via cloud streaming for switch :lol:

This is a mildly hopeful take. We've seen MS willing to let studios do their own thing to some degree. I don't think there's ever going back to "the old Blizzard," but if the structure of Xbox Gaming post acquisition has Blizz out from under the pressures of Activision, it could be really good.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

With Overwatch, Call of Duty, Halo, and Gears, Xbox has become THE premier place to be called the n word over voice chat.

This was soooo good I screencapped and sent it to my Halo crew iMessage group

I was half listening to the radio when at the end of the national news segment they tossed in a quick line where I heard "Microsoft, Candy Crush, Activision Blizzard to help with their metaverse ambitions."

I thought "What? No way!" I looked at my Google news feed and saw nothing. I came here next. This is crazy. I haven't played anything from them other than Diablo 3 in years, but I'll take a look at their other games once they hit Gamepass.

Blizzard has run their real time strategy games into the ground. Warcraft 3 Reforged is a joke and Starcraft 2 is running on legacy support.

Meanwhile Microsoft has breathed new life into Age of Empires by funding really well done definitive editions of the old ones and releasing Age of Empires 4, which has sold well.

Given those two things, I'm hopeful that Microsoft sees money in a new Warcraft RTS or at least fixing reforged. 

30 minutes ago, johnny said:

this is massive. doesnt really mess with me because ive played maybe one or two activision games in the last 5 years. BUT this is definitely not good for Sony no matter how people try to spin it. 

Eventually, these consolidations will mess with all of us who have used this line. As I said after Bethesda, that was just the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

None really, but WoW is still a helluva revenue generator.

Oh no doubt. The revenue streams from CoD, WoW and that mobile division alone are probably worth it. 

Im just looking at it from the “Sony is shitting themselves” perspective. This really only complicated CoD for them. Which, granted, is a pretty massive complication. 

I will bet very good money that largely the portfolio of ActiLizzard titles will indeed be Windows/Xbox exclusive.

It is easy to think “they won’t give up those millions that PlayStation users drop on CoD every year”, but MS will not care about temporary reductions in revenue for the company, this is about driving customers to their platform and retaining those who are there.

An absolute brutal play by MS

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

Oh no doubt. The revenue streams from CoD, WoW and that mobile division alone are probably worth it. 

Im just looking at it from the “Sony is shitting themselves” perspective. This really only complicated CoD for them. Which, granted, is a pretty massive complication. 

I really don't put much stock in the "Sony/Nintendo/etc. is shitting themselves" perspective at all.

For all intents and purposes, these companies have been operating with EXTREMELY different corporate strategies for more than a few years now to the point where I'm not even sure that they're even competing in the same market space.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I will bet very good money that largely the portfolio of ActiLizzard titles will indeed be Windows/Xbox exclusive.

It is easy to think “they won’t give up those millions that PlayStation users drop on CoD every year”, but MS will not care about temporary reductions in revenue for the company, this is about driving customers to their platform and retaining those who are there.

An absolute brutal play by MS

The only ActivLizzard products that I foresee remaining multiplatform are those with a significant GAAS presence, i.e. Warzone.

It will be pretty much identical to how Fallout 76 and The Elder Scrolls Online remained multiplatform after the Bethesda acquisition while Starfield, TES VI, and future projects will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

And let's face it: the MS platform is GamePass (not Xbox) and for that content is king.

24 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really don't put much stock in the "Sony/Nintendo/etc. is shitting themselves" perspective at all.

For all intents and purposes, these companies have been operating with EXTREMELY different corporate strategies for more than a few years now to the point where I'm not even sure that they're even competing in the same market space.

Nintendo perhaps.  But Sony is playing largely to the same demographic as Microsoft.  What they each keep off the other's platform is even more important now than their hardware and subscription plans.  It's why the Bethesda and Activision buyouts happened.

Even Nintendo isn't operating in its own niche anymore with the Deck encroaching on them.  The industry is circling around itself, and whoever gets the short end of the stick in these mergers and acquisitions will find themselves with a slimmer piece of the pie.

29 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I wouldn't doubt it.  Everyone's for sale.  Maybe it's more likely we see a merger soon.

By sheer coincidence...

1232439596.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

And the Senate will take on antitrust enforcement this week.

On Tuesday, the Justice Department and Federal Trade Commission launched a joint effort to modernize antitrust enforcement, seeking comment on how the agencies can apply current law in cases against tech companies like Meta (parent company of Facebook) and Google.

The announcement came at a joint press conference from FTC Chair Lina Khan and Justice Department Antitrust Chief Jonathan Kanter, who described the move as a wide-ranging enforcement modernization effort. While the announcement spans markets, it specifically questions how regulators should approach merger approval in digital markets, potentially setting new legal standards around data aggregation, interoperability, and market consolidation that can affect competition.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Microsoft Buys Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion in cash
16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Nintendo does not give a fuck about Steam deck and those platforms are not going to compete in a meaningful way.

Nintendo would be wise to give a fuck if they don't want to end up in a Wii U situation again with a Switch successor.

The Switch sold on the back of its form factor, indie appeal, and a genuine killer app (BoTW).  With the Deck entering the picture, Nintendo's historical disadvantages come back to the fore.