Jump to content

Steve Harvey Says No More Comedy Specials for Him Due to Cancel Culture


Recommended Posts

He would have to wait until the end of his career to do a special because cancel culture has killed comedy.

 

161287_0464.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Comedian Steve Harvey says he has no immediate plans to do another comedy special because political correctness has killed comedy.
Quote

Every joke you tell now, it hurts somebody’s feelings, he said. “But what people don’t understand about comedians is that a joke has to be about something and somebody. We can’t write jokes about puppies all the time. The joke can’t be about bushes all the time. Some of these jokes will have to be about people because that’s the most interesting topic. So if I come back, I’ll have to wait until I’m done and I’m not done. I want to do one more. I’ll probably have to call it, ‘Well, this is it.'”

Interesting... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly find him to be a funny dude and the best host of Family Feud since the original, Richard Dawson. But regardless as to whether someone is born with a silver spoon or is rags to riches, there's something about seeing a rich, successful guy complain about what they're not able to do.... even though stand-up comedy is alive and well, with people who don't have two sticks to rub together doing it for a living.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Guy's a turd anyway. Like honestly he's not a very good person. 

 

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

His a misogynist and he sucks, nothing of value has been lost by him not making a special.

 

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Tyler the Creator is right, "fuck Steve Harvey"

 

See? He's right. You guys have already pre-cancelled his non-existent comedy special.

  • True 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, stand up comedy is going strong, with plenty of great jokes; the jokes just punch up, not down. It's Always Sunny is one of the darkest comedies on TV, and no one's canceling those guys for the same reason.

 

Same BS as with others who whine about cancel culture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also hate when these aging comedians complain that you can't do comedy anymore, which really just strikes me as an excuse for them to be assholes. If you can't think of a joke that wouldn't be considered offensive then you're not all that creative to begin with. Bitch, I think it was John Mulaney who once did a whole bit about his refrigerator. Go back and listen to guys like Mitch Hedberg make non-sequitors. Assholes like Harvey, Dennis Miller, Dave Chappelle, etc, who complain about cancel culture and political correctness just seem to think jokes have to be edgy, and make fun of someone. Even George Carlin, who was absolutely edgy and not PC, knew that you don't make fun of people who have historically been looked down upon like women, gays, and Jews. Too bad he's not still around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Emmy Award-winning TV host and best-selling author Steve Harvey advises women not to date atheists because you don’t know where the man’s “moral barometer” is, and says that as far as someone not believing in God, “well, then, to me you’re an idiot.”

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/steve-harvey-atheists-me-you-re-idiot

  • Guillotine 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point I don't even know what cancel culture means, because there doesn't seem to a consistent definition. Chapelle says he is cancelled but he's still performing at huge venues like the Hollywood Bowl. I assumed cancelled means your career is completely over but some comedians seem to think its whenever your receive any criticism whatsoever.

 

And yet these same comics claim that they have thick skin and not care what others say about them. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A guy I used to work with knew waitresses that worked in a restaurant that he used to frequent. Maybe in Vegas? I dunno, but they said he's a big racist piece of poo. I can't stand him on family fued. They ask questions, obviously loaded with innuendo, and he makes his silly, shocked face when the people give an out of pocket answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Komusha said:

At this point I don't even know what cancel culture means, because there doesn't seem to a consistent definition. Chapelle says he is cancelled but he's still performing at huge venues like the Hollywood Bowl. I assumed cancelled means your career is completely over but some comedians seem to think its whenever your receive any criticism whatsoever.

 

And yet these same comics claim that they have thick skin and not care what others say about them. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Admitted sex pest Louis C.K. recently released a special that he recorded with an audience of over 5,000 people. To a certain extent, these guys are bulletproof. Yeah, he might not be able get steady work on a network sitcom or something like that, but he can keep doing standup and people will show up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bloodporne said:

I don't care if he's an asshole in real life, his biggest crime to me is just not being funny so oh no I guess?

 

I think he’s a legitimately good game show host; I get why people like him on Family Feud even though I think he / the show go fishing for some of the classic Dawson moments a bit too much.

 

But his comedy boils down to “men are like this, gay men are like that, Asian men are like this other thing.” Etc.

 

Is it “being cancelled” when people do not give a shit about the comedic takes of a 64 year old straight man on groups of people he clearly cannot be bothered to get to know? Probably not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

 

I think he’s a legitimately good game show host; I get why people like him on Family Feud even though I think he / the show go fishing for some of the classic Dawson moments a bit too much.

 

But his comedy boils down to “men are like this, gay men are like that, Asian men are like this other thing.” Etc.

 

Is it “being cancelled” when people do not give a shit about the comedic takes of a 64 year old straight man on groups of people he clearly cannot be bothered to get to know? Probably not.

I don't think I've ever actually watched Family Feud in my life. It's one of those shows I know exists somewhere but yeah. And yeah, I've seen some of his standup before and thought it sucked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I don't think I've ever actually watched Family Feud in my life. It's one of those shows I know exists somewhere but yeah. 

 

Family Feud is perfect “I’m over at my grandmother’s / relatives’ house and something needs to be on the TV” content. You’re missing out on absolutely nothing by never having seen it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

 

Family Feud is perfect “I’m over at my grandmother’s / relatives’ house and something needs to be on the TV” content. You’re missing out on absolutely nothing by never having seen it.

 

Bitchin NES game too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only know him from Family Feud, and he's a fantastic game show host. The dude is just a natural.

 

I've never seen his standup. Whatever. As soon as any of these nipple brains start whining about cancel culture I instantly stop caring about anything else they have to say.

 

I feel the same way about anyone who uses the word "woke".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...