The Boys: Season 3 (Amazon Prime, 03 June 2022) - Official Trailer

Just finished episode 2 tonight and things are getting messy good. Homelander just gets fucking creepier and creepier and he plays it to a T. 

Spoiler

Fuck they just went full out Trump with Homelander at the end there. Love the nods to them torch nazi buffoons. I wonder how many Trump&The Boys fans will actually put the 2 of them together. 

I like this season more than 2 so far. It feels less meandering and bleak. And I dunno what will end up happening with the single dose compound V or whatever but it’s interesting that they’re moving to a place where the gang can kind of hope to have a shot at actually fighting back 

That said I think the show still has doesn’t know what to do with some of the characters. There’s nothing this show can do that’s going to make A Train or Deep even remotely sympathetic. I don’t care about their struggles, they deserve every bad thing that happens to them. 

So about that party scene. The writers of the episode did what they did because 

Spoiler

they wanted to show the Ant-Man jumping up Thanos ass and killing him theory. So they decided to sort of do it for all the fans out there, like themselves in their own disgusting Boys way.

• Haha 1

As much as I really enjoy the moment-to-moment insanity of this show, I cannot help but get the sense that we're essentially still in the same spot narratively that we've been in since the end of the first season.  Hopefully as @Kal-El814 observed, the events involving Soldier Boy (I'm REALLY looking forward to The Boys heading to Russia and that potential for utter mayhem!) and the introduction of Compound V24 will meaningfully advance things!

On 6/5/2022 at 12:39 AM, silentbob said:

So about that party scene. The writers of the episode did what they did because 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Was that his ass or his penis? I initially thought the dude went into the other’s anus, but, he was facing penis side from the table that the termite(?) went in from, plus when he sneezed and went back to normal size he was facing toward the guy’s frontside.

Solider Boy is old school misogynist, makes sense for being a guy from WWII. Not sure how much this show has differed from the source comics (probably a lot), but I was expecting him to be more of a coward since I think I remember seeing a panel where he pisses himself. I suppose that could still happen. Not sure how they're going to bring him to modern times, which is surely to happen. 

Great first three episodes so far. As for A-Train and Deep @Kal-El814, they aren't good people, but they provide interesting social commentary and insight to their respective characters and powers/fields (as well as great comedy), which is why they continue to be around. But they aren't as bad as Homelander either by a long shot, and you could argue being under his reign has made them worse over time (who knows what they were like before Homelander and joining the Seven, right?). You could even argue that we're seeing A-Train and Deep get their comeuppance, something audiences should want. A-Train will likely die if he ever uses his powers again, and is slowly growing fat, lazy, and impotent, with Homelander fat shaming him constantly. Deep is made to be a pawn of a cult, then his wife, and now Homelander and the Seven again, and is forced to go against basically his one moral principle he's kept, his defense and love of oceans and water creatures and such, yet is forced by Homelander to eat a live octopus (this is after previously not being able to save a dolphin, etc.). Is this not what A-Train and Deep deserve? You're getting the plotlines you want! :p I think the show is asking us not to sympathize or empathize with these two characters, but to pity them and their lack of self-awareness and intelligence, and how they get used and bullied by Homelander, Vought, and others. Just because you have super powers doesn't suddenly not make you pitiable.

Also, the scene with Timothy was both funny but . . . tough. Also, anyone find it weird Maeve was basically missing this season so far and why wouldn't Hughie and Starlight get her involved after Homelander's counter-threat to the airplane video? Also, do we believe Homelander's threat?

Anyways, looking forward to more, haven't seen today's episode that dropped yet, episode 4. 

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Great first three episodes so far. As for A-Train and Deep @Kal-El814, they aren't good people, but they provide interesting social commentary and insight to their respective characters and powers/fields (as well as great comedy), which is why they continue to be around. But they aren't as bad as Homelander either by a long shot, and you could argue being under his reign has made them worse over time (who knows what they were like before Homelander and joining the Seven, right?). You could even argue that we're seeing A-Train and Deep get their comeuppance, something audiences should want. A-Train will likely die if he ever uses his powers again, and is slowly growing fat, lazy, and impotent, with Homelander fat shaming him constantly. Deep is made to be a pawn of a cult, then his wife, and now Homelander and the Seven again, and is forced to go against basically his one moral principle he's kept, his defense and love of oceans and water creatures and such, yet is forced by Homelander to eat a live octopus (this is after previously not being able to save a dolphin, etc.). Is this not what A-Train and Deep deserve? You're getting the plotlines you want! :p I think the show is asking us not to sympathize or empathize with these two characters, but to pity them and their lack of self-awareness and intelligence, and how they get used and bullied by Homelander, Vought, and others. Just because you have super powers doesn't suddenly not make you pitiable.

Also, the scene with Timothy was both funny but . . . tough. Also, anyone find it weird Maeve was basically missing this season so far and why wouldn't Hughie and Starlight get her involved after Homelander's counter-threat to the airplane video? Also, do we believe Homelander's threat?

Anyways, looking forward to more, haven't seen today's episode that dropped yet, episode 4. 

I don’t think Deep or A Train are interesting enough to warrant the additional attention, nor nuanced enough to be used as any kind of effective commentary. Deep’s connections to aquatic life or A Train’s inability to keep running just get completely outweighed by them being pieces of shit. They’re not competent foils for Homelander, they’re even less interesting apart from him, and they’re not pathetic enough to pity. 

I haven’t seen today’s episode yet either. The issue I have with Homelander now is that I don’t get why he’s not zapping or at least more intimidating with Stan? If he’s threatening Starlight with the destruction of New York and her hometown, I don’t get why he puts up with Stan’s shit? “So there’s a story,” obviously but it’s a bit weird. 

And I agree about the Maeve stuff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think Deep or A Train are interesting enough to warrant the additional attention, nor nuanced enough to be used as any kind of effective commentary. Deep’s connections to aquatic life or A Train’s inability to keep running just get completely outweighed by them being pieces of shit. They’re not competent foils for Homelander, they’re even less interesting apart from him, and they’re not pathetic enough to pity. 

I haven’t seen today’s episode yet either. The issue I have with Homelander now is that I don’t get why he’s not zapping or at least more intimidating with Stan? If he’s threatening Starlight with the destruction of New York and her hometown, I don’t get why he puts up with Stan’s shit? “So there’s a story,” obviously but it’s a bit weird. 

And I agree about the Maeve stuff. 

It might be just a different strokes for different folks thing, as my wife and I are usually laughing our asses off at Deep storyline stuff, and A Train stuff too usually (the cringe-y presentation to Vought was particularly good). The comedy is there, if nothing else - I do pity them both by comparison, but again, I definitely don't think they're redeemable. A-Train has killed at least two people basically without remorse and Deep raped a woman so yeah. I guess we'll see where their plots go, but I figured it was mostly for laughs.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Am I forgetting something that would suggest that Hughie would be well known enough to get mocked on Russian television?

EDIT - Also the show giving A Train a moral quandary for about 3 minutes of screen time for him is very "The Boys" :p 

They show in the first episode of this season that he was making press appearances with Starlight, so he would have at least been known as her love interest. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:11 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Am I forgetting something that would suggest that Hughie would be well known enough to get mocked on Russian television?

EDIT - Also the show giving A Train a moral quandary for about 3 minutes of screen time for him is very "The Boys" :p 

The minute Alex told A-Train I knew that was the end of that plot. Starlight should have made clear to Alex/Supersonic to run any potential candidates past her first. A-Train can't be trusted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The minute Alex told A-Train I knew that was the end of that plot. Starlight should have made clear to Alex/Supersonic to run any potential candidates past her first. A-Train can't be trusted.

Yea true. Unless his superpower is resurrection that’s a bunch of time spent to establish… literally nothing new about any of the characters that were a part of that plot. :p

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Brick said:

Btw I haven't watched the animated series Diabolical. Is it any good and worth watching? 

Yes, yes they sure are. Loved the Looney Toons like first episode, Justin Rolland and his shows animated style is the 2nd, and the most touching one was written by Andy Samberg. Still a shit ton of swearing, blood and good times to be had. Plus they are like 15mins of less an episode and easy to binge through 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

Btw I haven't watched the animated series Diabolical. Is it any good and worth watching? 

Yes, it's a lot of fun, it is confirmed it is canon (most of the shorts are, anyway), and it being animated allows for a good bit more absurdity, I'd say it's worth watching for sure. It's getting a season 2 as well. The Andy Samberg written one, as mentioned by @silentbob, was surprisingly impressive and moving.

Edit: In fact, the entire writing crew for the show is impressive: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg write episode 1, Justin Roiland co-writes episode 2, Garth Ennis writes episode 3, Awkwafina writes episode 4, Aisha Tyler (Archer) writes episode 5, and Andy Samberg writes episode 6 (this is out of 8 total episodes). That's pretty good.

• Like 1