Movie theaters are dead: Spidey opens with $50 million in Thursday previews

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I really don’t think Matrix would indicate a whole heck of a lot in any event. It is nearly 20 years after the end of a disappointing trilogy of movies. I would have been entirely uncertain of how much I expect out of this if Covid had never been a thing.

Sing 2 is more interesting as it has many better comps both over the last decade and within the pandemic itself with films like Croods, Raya, Boss Baby, Encanto, etc. provide. 

What do you think of the idea of making smaller films than blockbuster cost less at the theater? So if you want to see West Side Story or Nightmare Alley, it’s be cheaper than Spider-Man?

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Hoping my new receiver will be in by early January, and I will be looking for this movie shortly afterwards. We don’t have HBO Max up here in Canada but should be able to find a copy “somewhere” with hopefully the Atmos track included 

If you have Crave they get all the HBO Max stuff I believe. 

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

If you have Crave they get all the HBO Max stuff I believe. 

I think they only did it for the Snyder Cut of Justice League and everything else has been theatres/PPV . . . depending on lockdowns it seems. Plus Crave is just now getting a 4K feed but I still think lack anything higher then a plain Dolby 5.1

14 hours ago, johnny said:

i thought 2 was good but 1 and 3 aren’t that good imo 

The fight between Spidey and Green Goblin at the end of Spider-Man feels like it has higher stakes than just about every other superhero fight that's been filmed since. Pete gets his ass whooped by Norman worse than Cap gets worked by Thanos in Infinity War. Then it understands Spidey better than almost every other superhero movie understands its lead character by ending with Pete not telling MJ who he is because it's the right thing to do.

I get that it's over the top, I appreciate that in 2021 the Macy Gray cameo feels weird and superfluous, etc. I don't think it's a perfect movie. But I do think more superhero movies could stand to wear their hearts on their sleeves a bit more. I think it's a fine line between letting your character be vulnerable vs. just putting them through a meat grinder and Spider-Man aces it IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

The fight between Spidey and Green Goblin at the end of Spider-Man feels like it has higher stakes than just about every other superhero fight that's been filmed since. Pete gets his ass whooped by Norman worse than Cap gets worked by Thanos in Infinity War. Then it understands Spidey better than almost every other superhero movie understands its lead character by ending with Pete not telling MJ who he is because it's the right thing to do.

I get that it's over the top, I appreciate that in 2021 the Macy Gray cameo feels weird and superfluous, etc. I don't think it's a perfect movie. But I do think more superhero movies could stand to wear their hearts on their sleeves a bit more. I think it's a fine line between letting your character be vulnerable vs. just putting them through a meat grinder and Spider-Man aces it IMO.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
  • True 1

There is a real power to the Raimi movies that have allowed them to exist in public consciousness for as long as they have. How many other superhero movies from the early 2000’s are still as beloved as they are? This movie wouldn’t be getting near the same level of hype if it weren’t for its connection to the Raimi trilogy.

I can’t see the Holland movies having the same staying power, tbh.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Not every villain can be Gotham's recoiulkjdhfldshjfnmm, but we make do.

That is a great example of one movie that has much higher stakes and much more weight than the first Spider-Man’s climax, but I’m thinking of most of the superhero movies I’ve seen, and most of them rank above as far as stakes.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

@skillzdadirecta, I didn't know you wrote headlines for Forbes.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

Hollywood needed a hero to save them, and 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' (with $302 million worldwide thus far) wasn’t just going to sit there and wait.

I mean the writer just knows what everybody in the business knows. The only place "Marvel fatigue" exists is in the haters  heads :shrug:

45 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:
DF-00994_r-H-2021.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The tentpole is the fourth live-action superhero pic ever to earn the coveted grade.

and the second Spider-Man film to earn an A+ after the first multiverse movie, Into the Spiderverse, earned that.

I legit have only heard raves from people leaving

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I really don’t think Matrix would indicate a whole heck of a lot in any event. It is nearly 20 years after the end of a disappointing trilogy of movies. I would have been entirely uncertain of how much I expect out of this if Covid had never been a thing.

Sing 2 is more interesting as it has many better comps both over the last decade and within the pandemic itself with films like Croods, Raya, Boss Baby, Encanto, etc. provide. 

not sure you can completely compare all those titles as movies like Rya were avail on D+ and Boss Baby was on Peacock...and wasn't Croods on HBO? As far as I know Sing 2 is only going to be in theaters, heck even though Encanto was released as an in theater only flick it hits D+ on the 24th

Its definitelly bad for mid-range movies from a theatrical perspective. Those projects at those budget levels witll still get made, they just will be made for TV. I don't know how you convince the audience to go to the movies to see certain kinds of films when they just don't want to. TV has finally caught up to cinema in most areas except one. The blockbuster big budget movie and streamers like netflix are even blurring the lines with those. I don't know what the answer is, but I think everyone needs to prepare themselves for the movie going experience to become more niche in the coming years like theater. I don't think its going to go away completely... it's just going to change. 

Little tone deaf to bitch about people going back to the theaters in full force when the pandemic is hitting record high numbers. 

And I think theaters were always heading this way anyway. Theaters are going to have to lean harder and harder into the experience model like Alamo Drafthouse. 

25 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I just really enjoy casual moviegoing and it seems like within a few years casual moviegoing may no longer be a thing. I think it is a okay thing to be upset by as a movie fan. Sure, things change, but it’s not like change is an inherently good thing.

I don't think casual movie going is going anywhere. It's just going to look different. Cinema has survived changed before and it will survive this. It will continue to evolve. I love going to the movies to and because of how the industry has evolved in the past, I'm not worried.

Being very directly connected particularly to the cinema market in Texas, which has been really leading the way in enhanced experiences for movie theaters like dine-in concepts (Studio Movie Grill and Alamo Drafthouse) or family entertainment centers (Cinergy, Santikos) and even drive ins, I’ve been very vocal that creating experiences that people actually want is the way forward.

For most of the last 20 years the majors have been solely focused on enhancing the A/V presentation, and the truth is that most people don’t actually care about the particulars there. They don’t notice a difference between 2k and 4K, between Xenon lamps vs laser phosphor vs 3P laser vs 6P laser, and they definitely don’t notice 5.1 vs 7.1 vs Atmos. Big screen + loud sound is all the average person thinks of when they go to a movie theater on the A/V side.

The interesting thing though is looking at the demographics. The enhanced dining concepts like SMG and Alamo are some of the very few theater chains that skew older. The 3 major chains all have an average age of customer in their early 20s, while those dine in concepts are north of 30. There certainly are things that can be done to encourage people in the 30-50 demo to keep coming, but even that group largely wants spectacle.

I understand people who love both the theatrical experience AND things outside of the tent poles being sad that those sorts of films are struggling more and more each year, but there really is no better time in history to being a fan of good movies. More content that is more easily access today than at literally any point in history.

I do think there will be a coming explosion in micro-cinemas though. Think brewpubs and the like that will have one or two small auditoriums that seat 15-20 people and will play a variety of smaller titles. The price of the cinema tech to do it is dropping rapidly. GDC, one of the companies that makes a very popular DCP server, released an all-in-one DCI compliant laser projector for micro-cinemas that is the projector, server, and DTS-X audio processor all in one box. All you need is a screen, speakers, and amps, and you have all the tech to play encrypted studio content. Unit lists for $25k, but will soon be under $20k street.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think casual movie going is going anywhere. It's just going to look different. Cinema has survived changed before and it will survive this. It will continue to evolve. I love going to the movies to and because of how the industry has evolved in the past, I'm not worried.

We will see. If Joe Russo is concerned about the future for the industry then I’m willing to bet there is good reason to worry.

4 minutes ago, Komusha said:

We will see. If Joe Russo is concerned about the future for the industry then I’m willing to bet there is good reason to worry.

Joe Russo is concerned about a certain budget range of movie playing well in theaters. He isn't too concerned about "the future of cinema" considering his and his brother's deal with Netflix :p

Study film history and you'll see that Movie Theaters have been "dying" since the television was invented. Theater owners are have cried wolf everytime a new technology came out that they saw as a threat, yet theaters still survived. They just changed. Multi-plexes killed the drive-in and the big, single screen movies houses. The industry evolves but it isn't going anywhere, I promise you.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Joe Russo is concerned about a certain budget range of movie playing well in theaters. He isn't too concerned about "the future of cinema" considering his and his brother's deal with Netflix :p

Study film history and you'll see that Movie Theaters have been "dying" since the television was invented. Theater owners are have cried wolf everytime a new technology came out that they saw as a threat, yet theaters still survived. They just changed. Multi-plexes killed the drive-in and the big, single screen movies houses. The industry evolves but it isn't going anywhere, I promise you.

There is actually a step after the multi-plex, which is the “mega-plex”. In the late 90s you really saw the big 3 begin to crush even the 80s era multi-plexes which averaged around 6 screen by building these 16, 18, 24, and even 30 screen monstrosities which often killed off multiple multi-plexes in the region.

There will always be something both within the exhibition industry and from outside that will substantially alter the economics of the industry. Some will thrive, some will flounder. It honestly is the same thing for retail. People have been saying retail is over after the mall collapse of the 90s and the Dotcom entrance of e-commerce.

And yet there are tons of innovative retail

outlets that continue to thrive even in 2021. Is the marketplace the same? Certainly not! But there are few industries that stay largely the same decade after decade after decade.

I also think there are some structural changes coming on the way studios distribute content and the sorts of restrictions that are placed on exhibitors that will make it easier to give screens to smaller titles. But some of that is still a few years down the road. Big things we need to get rid of are policies on minimum engagements (often 3 weeks, even if a film flips) and having to run a screen “clean” which means you can only play that one film on that screen all day, which is dumb given that things like PG cartoons do no business after 8pm and R rated horror does no business before 5pm. Schedule optimization will allow even small theaters to play much more content than current license agreements allow.

I am on the studio relations committee for the Independent Cinema Alliance and we just hit our fundraising goal to hire a law firm to get us approval from the DOJ antitrust division to allow our trade association to negotiate on behalf of all members with the studios. NATO is doing the same so that the big 3 chains can collaborate on negotiations with the studios as well. This will make it far more

likely that the exhibition industry can get the studios to move on these and other issues which will be beneficial to customers in the long run.