Movie theaters are dead: Spidey opens with $50 million in Thursday previews

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Topic should be titled "I'm so sick of these Marvel movies" or "How I learned to stop caring about these super hero movies because Ridley Scot told me to." or "How superhero movies are ruing the world and cause Covid."... I could keep going.

Many fitting titles 😂

I'm not going to theaters these days, mainly because I usually start getting for work at like 2:30, so unless I go on my days off it ain't happening. That was true pre-covid, too, though.

I might sail the seven seas for this one, at least until it hits Disney+, which I'm assuming it will (the other Spider-Man MCU movies are if they haven't already)

I don't know. There's a room in my house with comfy chairs and a 9 foot projector. Perfect for getting a theater experience while also being able to watch movies at 2am

44 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I don’t think anyone doubts the fate of superhero movies. But I am worried about the future of movies if classic crowd pleasers like West Side Story are bombing.

the thing is WSS doesn't appeal to the those that are willing to go to the theaters these days. It also opened kind of early for its target audience. A Christmas opening would have made more sense.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Topic should be titled "I'm so sick of these Marvel movies" or "How I learned to stop caring about these super hero movies because Ridley Scot told me to." or "How superhero movies are ruing the world and cause Covid."... I could keep going.

Millennials are killing the movie industry with their love of superhero films. 

• True 1

7 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

the thing is WSS doesn't appeal to the those that are willing to go to the theaters these days. It also opened kind of early for its target audience. A Christmas opening would have made more sense.

It’s totally worth pointing out that only movies aimed at younger audiences are doing well :p And it’s still not a healthy sign. We already know that kids are going to see movies. This news isn’t telling us anything that we don’t know.

19 minutes ago, Komusha said:

We already know that kids are going to see movies. This news isn’t telling us anything that we don’t know.

But I thought Ridley Scott said that kids raised watching movies on their phones AREN'T going to the movies. I think it's a lot more complicated than just the young going to the movies... 18-35 year olds have ALWAYS been the primary drivers of the theatrical business. Personally I think movies aren't gving audiences compelling enough reasons to movies. Most films are underwhelming at best and television is doing such a better job at telling compelling stories that people will literally just wait until they can watch a film in the comfort of their own homes unless it's an event film.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But I thought Ridley Scott said that kids raised watching movies on their phones AREN'T going to the movies. I think it's a lot more complicated than just the young going to the movies... 18-35 year olds have ALWAYS been the primary drivers of the theatrical business. Personally I think movies aren't gving audiences compelling enough reasons to movies. Most films are underwhelming at best and television is doing such a better job at telling compelling stories that people will literally just wait until they can watch a film in the comfort of their own homes unless it's an event film.

Ridley Scott didn’t say that and kinda weird to bring him up when I certainly didn’t mention him.

And I’m well aware of how theatrical trends are going, it’s just that I’d rather have more than one kind of movie do well in theaters. I think audience definition of what qualifies or doesn’t qualify as an even movie is becoming narrower as years go on. West Side Story could have been sold as an even 10-15 years ago but it certainly isn’t seen as one now, even though reviews for it couldn’t be any more positive.

55 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Ridley Scott didn’t say that and kinda weird to bring him up when I certainly didn’t mention him.

That wasn't directed at you. i brought him up earlier in the thread and was calling back to that. And he DID say that.

The-Last-Duel-Actor-Matt-Damon.jpg?w=100
VARIETY.COM

On Marc Maron's podcast 'WTF,' 'The Last Duel' director Ridley Scott blamed his film's box office failure on millennial audiences.

“I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cell phones. The millennian do not ever want to be taught anything unless you are told it on the cell phone,” Scott continued. “This is a broad stroke, but I think we’re dealing with it right now with Facebook. There is a misdirection that has happened where it’s given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think.”

Again, my Ridley Scott comment wasn't directed at you particularly but he DID say that.

I agree that what audiences will go to theaters to see has gotten narrower and narrower over the years. As home viewing technology has gotten better and movie going has gotten more expensive, it's going to take something special to pull folks out to go to theaters. The only films that seem to do well are superhero films, Horror movies (Always Reliable) The occasional comedy, and Fast and The Furious :p 

Plus I don't think we can underestimate how much piracy is eating into the box office too. 

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That wasn't directed at you. i brought him up earlier in the thread and was calling back to that. And he DID say that.

The-Last-Duel-Actor-Matt-Damon.jpg?w=100
VARIETY.COM

On Marc Maron's podcast 'WTF,' 'The Last Duel' director Ridley Scott blamed his film's box office failure on millennial audiences.

Again, my Ridley Scott comment wasn't directed at you particularly but he DID say that.

I agree that what audiences will go to theaters to see has gotten narrower and narrower over the years. As home viewing technology has gotten better and movie going has gotten more expensive, it's going to take something special to pull folks out to go to theaters. The only films that seem to do well are superhero films, Horror movies (Always Reliable) The occasional comedy, and Fast and The Furious :p 

Plus I don't think we can underestimate how much piracy is eating into the box office too. 

He’s not saying that millennials don’t see movies, he’s saying that they don’t have an interest in a historical drama like The Last Duel because they “don’t like to be taught anything”.

51 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am more interest in how the Matrix does. I think that will be a better indicator

A little tainted don’t you think with it also on HBO Max day one as well? I would be watching Sing 2 more then The Matrix, as I don’t think they are putting this on Peacock at the same time. Although Peacock isn’t nearly as big as HBO Max, as Halloween Kills had an impressive opening weekend even with Peacock release too. 

Also I was thinking this would easily do +200m opening because of the hype/rumours and it’s a MCU movie. I think this would of easily beat the opening weekend record if it weren’t for the pandemic. Still, it’s gonna be a fucking impressive opening weekend.

• Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, silentbob said:

A little tainted don’t you think with it also on HBO Max day one as well? I would be watching Sing 2 more then The Matrix, as I don’t think they are putting this on Peacock at the same time. Although Peacock isn’t nearly as big as HBO Max, as Halloween Kills had an impressive opening weekend even with Peacock release too. 

Also I was thinking this would easily do +200m opening because of the hype/rumours and it’s a MCU movie. I think this would of easily beat the opening weekend record if it weren’t for the pandemic. Still, it’s gonna be a fucking impressive opening weekend.

Is it? I didn’t know that. 

Key And Peele Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Is it? I didn’t know that. 

Key And Peele Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Hoping my new receiver will be in by early January, and I will be looking for this movie shortly afterwards. We don’t have HBO Max up here in Canada but should be able to find a copy “somewhere” with hopefully the Atmos track included 

I really don’t think Matrix would indicate a whole heck of a lot in any event. It is nearly 20 years after the end of a disappointing trilogy of movies. I would have been entirely uncertain of how much I expect out of this if Covid had never been a thing.

Sing 2 is more interesting as it has many better comps both over the last decade and within the pandemic itself with films like Croods, Raya, Boss Baby, Encanto, etc. provide.