Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade announced for PC (EGS) on December 16

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Im fighting a house. This is a weird game.

Well in the original the Hell House was just a random enemy. It was added to this as a bit of... well, less an easter egg and more a big callback. First game had a lot of just strange enemy design.

FFVII - Level 1 Hardcore Challenge, Part 43: Hell House - YouTube

And yes, it was strange. It's a Final Fantasy game. They're all weird. Half the fun is seeing the weird shit. (Although it's not like... Hylics 2 weird or anything. Just a kind of familiar fantasy-themed weirdness.)

12 hours ago, legend said:

I mean, the story is basically an anime story, so yeah, it's all pretty fucking weird :p 

(but I love it)

10 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Well in the original the Hell House was just a random enemy. It was added to this as a bit of... well, less an easter egg and more a big callback. First game had a lot of just strange enemy design.

FFVII - Level 1 Hardcore Challenge, Part 43: Hell House - YouTube

And yes, it was strange. It's a Final Fantasy game. They're all weird. Half the fun is seeing the weird shit. (Although it's not like... Hylics 2 weird or anything. Just a kind of familiar fantasy-themed weirdness.)

Okay that makes sense! I never actually played through too much of a ff game, about 15 hours into FF15 is probably the furthest. I knew it was anime, but thought it was more serious anime for some reason. It’s really weird and goofy almost all of the time, which, is actually a positive part of it for me though yeah. I feel like maybe fans treat it like it’s more serious than it is.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

Okay that makes sense! I never actually played through too much of a ff game, about 15 hours into FF15 is probably the furthest. I knew it was anime, but thought it was more serious anime for some reason. It’s really weird and goofy almost all of the time, which, is actually a positive part of it for me though yeah. I feel like maybe fans treat it like it’s more serious than it is.

The "serious" impression probably comes from the fact that also like a lot of anime, there are some very serious moments, but everything outside those moments has a lot of lightheartedness.

17 minutes ago, legend said:

The "serious" impression probably comes from the fact that also like a lot of anime, there are some very serious moments, but everything outside those moments has a lot of lightheartedness.

Yeah that makes sense also I don’t know anything about what happens really, I don’t even know who Seperoth actually or what the deal with him or the greater threat is yet, but I do know that one big sad thing that happens. That’s the only spoiler I wasn’t able to avoid and that probably shaped my perception too.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah that makes sense also I don’t know anything about what happens really, I don’t even know who Seperoth actually or what the deal with him or the greater threat is yet, but I do know that one big sad thing that happens. That’s the only spoiler I wasn’t able to avoid and that probably shaped my perception too.

Yeah, it's hard to miss that one since it was big for the time it was made. There are some others too, though obviously not as big as the one you're almost surely thinking of :p  In fact, one of the things I like about Remake is how much better the emotional moments are conveyed thanks to improvements in technology in comparison to say a uber polygonal Barret smashing his hand against a wall in despair with an almost comedic sound effect :p 

Those strong emotional beats are then coupled with other stuff like the Don Corneo arc which is hilarious as shit and also even more funny in the Remake thanks to the technology improvements.

• Like 1

This was patched to 1.1 now, saying it fixes issues with resolutions 90+ and “various fixes”.  DX12 still seems broken to me, but maybe a little better. Either way all they needed to do was put in a direct option for DX11 and fix the hdr setting in DX11 and they would have mostly resolved it sigh.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, legend said:

Yeah, it's hard to miss that one since it was big for the time it was made. There are some others too, though obviously not as big as the one you're almost surely thinking of :p  In fact, one of the things I like about Remake is how much better the emotional moments are conveyed thanks to improvements in technology in comparison to say a uber polygonal Barret smashing his hand against a wall in despair with an almost comedic sound effect :p 

Those strong emotional beats are then coupled with other stuff like the Don Corneo arc which is hilarious as shit and also even more funny in the Remake thanks to the technology improvements.

lol yeah this whole Don Corneo/wall market section is wild

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

This was patched to 1.1 now, saying it fixes issues with resolutions 90+ and “various fixes”.  DX12 still seems broken to me, but maybe a little better. Either way all they needed to do was put in a direct option for DX11 and fix the hdr setting in DX11 and they would have mostly resolved it sigh.

1.1 you say? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

umMKxwU.png

You can have 1.1 in 99 patches.

• Sad 1

I gotta say bad initial impression from having to fix the pc port aside, this has been absolutely fantastic and I am happy I waited to play it here, 120fps during battles just feels so damn good. I’m nearing the end I think on chapter 17 and I did all the side missions as well, and yeah I don’t really have many complaints with the game itself. It’s pretty damn rad. The combat, FUCK they finally nailed it huh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I gotta say bad initial impression from having to fix the pc port aside, this has been absolutely fantastic and I am happy I waited to play it here, 120fps during battles just feels so damn good. I’m nearing the end I think on chapter 17 and I did all the side missions as well, and yeah I don’t really have many complaints with the game itself. It’s pretty damn rad. The combat, FUCK they finally nailed it huh.

Yeah the combat is really well designed in this game. Going to real time was a gamble given the roots of the game, but they really struck a good balance between the strategic commands and the real-time action. It's probably my favorite real-time RPG combat engine.

51 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah the combat is really well designed in this game. Going to real time was a gamble given the roots of the game, but they really struck a good balance between the strategic commands and the real-time action. It's probably my favorite real-time RPG combat engine.

Yeah it seems like they’ve been trying to get here for awhile, probably at least since 13 but they finally reached something that as an action fan is fun to play, but offers a strategy element and options for fans of turn based. 

I just beat the game (not Inregrade yet) and it seems like they did a good job slicing this section off as it’s own game. I feel like some things could have been answered by now even if they weren’t originally like who exactly Seperoth is, how Cloud knows him, what’s with Cloud’s visions and what does he get them and is anyone going to confront him about that, why did Cloud leave Soldier? I’m assuming these get answered later but it seems like I didn’t unravel a lot of even my own main character in the game yet. But yeah it’s a unique situation and overall was a solid arc and I’ll be pumped for the next one.

Im assuming Intergrade doesn’t answer my questions but I’m going to just dive into that next.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah it seems like they’ve been trying to get here for awhile, probably at least since 13 but they finally reached something that as an action fan is fun to play, but offers a strategy element and options for fans of turn based. 

I just beat the game (not Inregrade yet) and it seems like they did a good job slicing this section off as it’s own game. I feel like some things could have been answered by now even if they weren’t originally like who exactly Seperoth is, how Cloud knows him, what’s with Cloud’s visions and what does he get them and is anyone going to confront him about that, why did Cloud leave Soldier? I’m assuming these get answered later but it seems like I didn’t unravel a lot of even my own main character in the game yet. But yeah it’s a unique situation and overall was a solid arc and I’ll be pumped for the next one.

Im assuming Intergrade doesn’t answer my questions but I’m going to just dive into that next.

Yeah I think its biggest weakness as a standalone is they're kind of banking on you being familiar with the original, because they tease about the connections way more at this point in the story than the original did at this point (at least that's how I remember it, it's been a while since I played the OG). There are some pretty huge revelations about those questions you have later in the original FF7 storyline.

Part of the reason they tease it more might also be because (Spoilers only for people who haven't finished FF7R; you should be fine to read it though stepee since you finished it now)

Spoiler

FF7R is not actually a remake. It's more of a sequel with time shenanigans.

Also, here's something that probably wouldn't have been clear to you. The final scene where (again FF7R spoilers only)

Spoiler

You see Zack (the dark haired character) walking off with Cloud is *not* how that's supposed to happen. Like, that's a seriously huge fucking difference for the storyline. But you won't know that without having played the original :p 

I actually haven't played Intergrade yet! For a long time I was just waiting to get my PS5 before I did. Now I have it and am planning on doing another playthrough of the main game and intergrade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legend said:

Yeah I think its biggest weakness as a standalone is they're kind of banking on you being familiar with the original, because they tease about the connections way more at this point in the story than the original did at this point (at least that's how I remember it, it's been a while since I played the OG). There are some pretty huge revelations about those questions you have later in the original FF7 storyline.

Part of the reason they tease it more might also be because (Spoilers only for people who haven't finished FF7R; you should be fine to read it though stepee since you finished it now)

Reveal hidden contents

Also, here's something that probably wouldn't have been clear to you. The final scene where (again FF7R spoilers only)

Reveal hidden contents

I actually haven't played Intergrade yet! For a long time I was just waiting to get my PS5 before I did. Now I have it and am planning on doing another playthrough of the main game and intergrade.

Regarding the last spoiler, I still have no idea what that means or who that guy is or what is with that scene anyway, was it a scene in the past from when he was in soldier?

Sounds like my questions will be answered later, and that I mostly have them because they had to tease some stuff for fans, and that’s fine, it’s in a difficult place and I get that. 

As far as your first spoiler

Without spoiling ff7 if possible, by a sequel with time shenanigans, is the whole changing fate part of it you battling destiny to change what happened in the original FF7, is that kind of the idea?

Man what a great game. I hope they have development of this project under decent control and we have 3 year waits at max for the next entries!

Regarding the last spoiler, I still have no idea what that means or who that guy is or what is with that scene anyway, was it a scene in the past from when he was in soldier?

Not too major spoilers just to give a little more context to that scene:

Spoiler

The dark haired guy's name is Zack. The ambush that he fights in while Cloud is unconscious takes place pretty close to right before where FF7 starts, and Zack was not supposed to survive, though you don't learn about Zack at all until much later in FF7. Him surviving has radical consequences for the trajectory it would have sent Cloud on, but I won't say how and why to prevent from giving too much of away of rather significant later revelations :p 

There is evidence, however, that this is a different timeline than the one you play in FF7R (or FF7 for that matter), so it's unclear how it will play into the subsequent FF7R sequels. The evidence is in that scene with Zack, the Avalanche dog flyer flies by and it's a different dog mascot than the one we see in the rest of FF7R.

As far as your first spoiler

Hide contents

Without spoiling ff7 if possible, by a sequel with time shenanigans, is the whole changing fate part of it you battling destiny to change what happened in the original FF7, is that kind of the idea?

Man what a great game. I hope they have development of this project under decent control and we have 3 year waits at max for the next entries!

More or less. Here's a bit of an overview without talking about what happens later in FF7.

Spoiler

As you play through FF7R certain things are different than the original game, the most obvious being there were no "whispers" in the original FF7. Moreover, every time things start to diverge a little from FF7 in the core structure, the whispers show up and make it play out more similarly to how it originally did in FF7. As mentioned earlier, Sephiroth wasn't even supposed to appear this early in the game, and when you see him kill Barrett, the whispers show up and undo it because Barrett wasn't supposed to die then. 

The conclusion is for some reason time is being changed, possibly because Sephiroth has somehow managed to go back in time and start changing things, and the whispers are showing up to try and keep things on course. At the end of FF7R, Cloud and the party start having visions of future events in FF7, particularly some of the more terrible parts of what happens and decide they want to fight for a better future, so they go into that battle with the whisper bosses to stop them from keeping things on course.

By the FF7 characters beating the whispers, it seems like the future has become undetermined; things can happen differently now. This may be an advantage to Sephiroth, but we really don't know what his end game is here and how he's involved in the timeline getting changed or why. The whole "7 seconds till the end" is pretty vague at this point and we don't really know what's going on. Things could end up better or worse for the party. That we see yet another possible alternative timeline where something as critical as Zack living means there's even more time shenanigans going on than we realized up to that point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

Not too major spoilers just to give a little more context to that scene:

Reveal hidden contents

More or less. Here's a bit of an overview without talking about what happens later in FF7.

Hide contents

As you play through FF7R certain things are different than the original game, the most obvious being there were no "whispers" in the original FF7. Moreover, every time things start to diverge a little from FF7 in the core structure, the whispers show up and make it play out more similarly to how it originally did in FF7. As mentioned earlier, Sephiroth wasn't even supposed to appear this early in the game, and when you see him kill Barrett, the whispers show up and undo it because Barrett wasn't supposed to die then. 

The conclusion is for some reason time is being changed, possibly because Sephiroth has somehow managed to go back in time and start changing things, and the whispers are showing up to try and keep things on course. At the end of FF7R, Cloud and the party start having visions of future events in FF7, particularly some of the more terrible parts of what happens and decide they want to fight for a better future, so they go into that battle with the whisper bosses to stop them from keeping things on course.

By the FF7 characters beating the whispers, it seems like the future has become undetermined; things can happen differently now. This may be an advantage to Sephiroth, but we really don't know what his end game is here and how he's involved in the timeline getting changed or why. The whole "7 seconds till the end" is pretty vague at this point and we don't really know what's going on. Things could end up better or worse for the party. That we see yet another possible alternative timeline where something as critical as Zack living means there's even more time shenanigans going on than we realized up to that point.

I wish I could like this post multiple times! Thanks for taking the time to explain all that, since I wouldn’t be able to look myself without getting spoiled. That answers all my questions besides those I need to wait for!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I wish I could like this post multiple times! Thanks for taking the time to explain all that, since I wouldn’t be able to look myself without getting spoiled. That answers all my questions besides those I need to wait for!

Glad to help! :) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Also Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII is a PSP game and the main character is Zack

Did you see they have Crisis Core:Final Fantasy VII Reunion on PS4 & PS5? Which i guess came out this past December. Remastered with new dialogue and soundtrack $49.99 on PSN.