NPD July 2018: Octopath/Switch No. 1, God of Legs, Detroit still charts, yes GTAV is there again stop asking how

SaysWho?

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/22/july-2018-npd-octopath-traveler-and-grand-theft-auto-v-own-the-charts/

“Nintendo Switch was July’s best-selling hardware platform in both dollars and units sold,” said Piscatella. “This is the seventh month that Switch has led in hardware dollar sales since launching in March 2017, and the first since December 2017. Unit sales of Nintendo hardware in July 2018 reached its highest point for a July month since 2009.”

Microsoft and Sony are both doing just fine, though. Xbox One hardware sales are trending up. In terms of dollar sales, the Xbox One platform grew by 50 percent year-over-year in July. Year-to-date, it’s up more than 60 percent.

Software

1. Octopath Traveler*
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Mario Kart 8*
  4. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  6. Far Cry 5
  7. Super Mario Odyssey*
  8. The Crew 2
  9. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  10. Mario Tennis Aces *
  11. FIFA 18**
  12. Lego Incredibles
  13. God of War (2018)
  14. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker*
  15. NBA 2K18
  16. Call of Duty: WWII
  17. Detroit: Become Human
  18. MLB 18: The Show
  19. Minecraft**
  20. Destiny 2**

The best-selling games of 2018 so far

1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War (2018)
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Dragon Ball Fighterz
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. NBA 2K18
  9. MLB 18: The Show
  10. Super Mario Odyssey

The best-selling games over the last 12 months

1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2**
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Far Cry 5
  7. Star Wars: Battlefront II**
  8. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. God of War 2018

Xbox One

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  3. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  6. The Crew 2
  7. FIFA 18
  8. Call of Duty: WWII
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. Overwatch

PlayStation 4

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. God of War (2018)
  3. Detroit: Become Human
  4. MLB 18: The Show
  5. The Crew 2
  6. Far Cry 5
  7. FIFA 18
  8. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  9. Horizon Zero Dawn
  10. NBA 2K18

Nintendo Switch*

1. Octopath Traveler
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. Mario Tennis Aces
  6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  7. Splatoon 2
  8. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  10. Lego Incredibles

Nintendo 3DS*

1. Pokemon: Ultra Sun
  2. Pokemon: Ultra Moon
  3. WarioWare: Gold
  4. Mario Kart 7
  5. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  6. Super Smash Bros.
  7. Super Mario 3D Land
  8. Minecraft
  9. Super Mario Maker
  10. Detective Pikachu

*No digital sales
**No PC digital sales

My unofficial, unreliable, unimportant observations:

1) God of War remains charting, and I can't wait to see how it does with a sale. Exclusive game staying on top and will likely be one of the Top 10 of the year, and it's the fastest-selling Playstation exclusive for any PS console.

2) Detroit remains on the charts. Quantic Dream/Sony are likely very happy about this.

3) Nintendo is the best-selling software publisher of July and the year (which isn't even my observation as it's in the link). They still have Pokemon/Smash left this year.

4) Was there a sale on Breath of the Wild? Mario has sold better this year, but BOTW has edged it this month. It's not significantly higher, so maybe nothing triggered it, really.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Octopath Traveler is a surprise to me. I never would have guess that a throw back JRPG with no name recognition would be #1. But I guess it didn’t have much competition.

I think Square played this smart, put it out in a very dry time, but also because they were one of the first companies to give players a Demo,  I would not have purchased it had I not just randomly tried the demo and fell in love with it.

1 hour ago, misfit410 said:

I think Square played this smart, put it out in a very dry time, but also because they were one of the first companies to give players a Demo,  I would not have purchased it had I not just randomly tried the demo and fell in love with it.

And multiple demos

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

While listening to the Easy Allies podcast, a great point was brought up. Square has found success with its throwback RPGs like Bravely Default and I Am Setsuna, but the each sequel sort of bombed. 

I had to google to find out that Lost Sphear was even a sequel to it. :p 

I'm sure the OK reviews didn't help matters either. 

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

GTA on a Nintendo Console that will be the day. I'm not talking about the china wars.

Eh, Switch is really a handheld. At least, IMO. The GTA franchise has a long history with Nintendo handhelds - going as far back as the original Gameboy! So putting GTAV on Switch wouldn’t feel *that* weird. (And hey, it would actually be the fifth game in the franchise on Nintendo hardware...so in a strange way, it’d kind of make sense, lol) 

By the way, has there been any concrete info of the game getting ported to Switch? Or just internet rumors/guesses/wishes being echoed over and over? To the best of my knowledge, Rockstar hasn’t said anything. One way or the other.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Eh, Switch is really a handheld. At least, IMO. The GTA franchise has a long history with Nintendo handhelds - going as far back as the original Gameboy! So putting GTAV on Switch wouldn’t feel *that* weird. (And hey, it would actually be the fifth game in the franchise on Nintendo hardware...so in a strange way, it’d kind of make sense, lol) 

By the way, has there been any concrete info of the game getting ported to Switch? Or just internet rumors/guesses/wishes being echoed over and over? To the best of my knowledge, Rockstar hasn’t said anything. One way or the other.

Oh, please, it's had 4 dinky entries on Nintendo handhelds, the last one nearly a decade ago. That's not exactly a solid history there. 

There's been nothing said about it coming to Switch and I'll be shocked if that happens.

6 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

:shameonyou:

Only if you count top-down GTAs -- which don't really count.