Update: Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay reveal footage (48 minutes)

Brian

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It looks a lot like Deus Ex, and I think that's a good thing. I imagine we'll see plenty of people that complain about the shooting being generic even though the game allows you to play in any number of ways

I guess I really don't understand why people think any of the combat shown was generic. What are these shooters people see that are so much deeper in variety of combat? People rave about Doom (and I enjoyed it too), but I'm not seeing how that is somehow not generic whereas Cyberpunk is. I'd even say that Cyberpunk has a lot less generic combat than Doom.

TBC, I realize you're not saying that yourself but I'm just kind of sounding off on the idea that this is a general impression people have.

6 minutes ago, legend said:

I guess I really don't understand why people think any of the combat shown was generic. What are these shooters people see that are so much deeper in variety of combat? People rave about Doom (and I enjoyed it too), but I'm not seeing how that is somehow not generic whereas Cyberpunk is. I'd even say that Cyberpunk has a lot less generic combat than Doom.

TBC, I realize you're not saying that yourself but I'm just kind of sounding off on the idea that this is a general impression people have.

I think that first person shooting is often difficult to parse in video. When people talk about a shooter like Destiny just feeling right, it's not something that I think is particularly well conveyed in video. It's the little things, the feel or the texture of the combat that differentiate excellent shooters from more generic ones.

If there was anything in the video (at least what I watched of it) that felt bland it was the default pistol. I think a fully automatic weapon like that can easily feel more boring than things like the shotgun that we saw later.

I’m curious if it will actually come out during this gen of consoles - there was a lot going on that looked cpu-based (amount of npcs/ai on screen at once, the physics going on with shooting through walls and the walls reacting, etc) and we all know that the current crop if consoles are a bit cpu-limited.

33 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I think that first person shooting is often difficult to parse in video. When people talk about a shooter like Destiny just feeling right, it's not something that I think is particularly well conveyed in video. It's the little things, the feel or the texture of the combat that differentiate excellent shooters from more generic ones.

If there was anything in the video (at least what I watched of it) that felt bland it was the default pistol. I think a fully automatic weapon like that can easily feel more boring than things like the shotgun that we saw later.

I agree with you that there is tightness in shooting mechanics that can make or break, in the same way the subtle way motion in a platformer is handles is really important. Things seemed to move pretty nicely in the video to me though and looks solid in the same way when I watch videos of the new doom it feels solid. And then you have the plethora of variation they showed.

You might be right though that a negative community reaction is stemming from peoples reaction at the start. It's a very long video where they slowly reveal stuff and a lot of people may not have stuck through it all.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m curious if it will actually come out during this gen of consoles - there was a lot going on that looked cpu-based (amount of npcs/ai on screen at once, the physics going on with shooting through walls and the walls reacting, etc) and we all know that the current crop if consoles are a bit cpu-limited.

No chance. As much as I can't wait to play this, no way a launch PS4 is going to run that, unless they ship it with super-low "Last Gen" settings, with the version we're seeing in that video being the PC/PS5/NextBox version.

21 hours ago, Moa said:

The combat looks really weak, especially considering CDPR's stellar track record of engaging combat systems dating all the way back to the original Witcher.

But it's got those damage numbers flying off the enemies when you shoot them! Makes it more exciting that way. 

Is it just me or does this really really look like what Too Human was ORIGINALLY supposed to be? At least the very little I remember from the magazine articles at the time. 

Also I think the combat looks fun enough just like Witcher 3. But it’s not like the combat has been the strong suit of any of the Witcher games. It was always good enough. The world and the stories were what set it above everything else. Witcher 3 didn’t really do anything to reinvent open world action RPGs. It just kinda perfected them. I’m lookong at Cyberpunk the same way. I don’t think it’ll reinvent the genre, but I think it’ll be one of the best we’ve seen. 

7 hours ago, Chris- said:

I don't see how this could be a next-gen game when it's slated to be released in 2019.

Unless I missed something, there’s no release date slated for the game. The June 2019 “projection” is based on a time-limit on the grant CDPR was given by the Polish government.

I’m just curious to see how they’re squeezing this much out of the current gen console CPUs, or if they found a way to offload to the GPU.

35 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Is it just me or does this really really look like what Too Human was ORIGINALLY supposed to be? At least the very little I remember from the magazine articles at the time. 

It's just you :p Too Human was always planned to be a third person hack and slash dungeon crawler with (initially) a focus on multiplayer. That is... not like Cyberpunk.

31 minutes ago, legend said:

Too Human was always planned to be a third person hack and slash dungeon crawler with (initially) a focus on multiplayer.

No it wasn’t. It was a PSX game were you played a cop in the future seeking revenge on a cyborg that killed your partner.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Now how's it look compared to Fallout?

Not the same at all? Fallout and ES are FPRPG games (which can be played in third person) and CP2077 looks like a FPSRPG. And in Fallout you can easily not use guns, and in ES you can just use a bow. CP2077 has that blade arm shit but I wouldn't really call that melee combat. Like, I wouldn't say ME had melee combat because you could stab people with a glowing arm blade.

I get that this game has all these cool things you can do in combat with the (annoying as fuck trashy I hate it) bullet time and sliding, but LOL like that shit has ever been viable. There is almost no instance where doing the cool shit in a shooter game is actually better than sitting back and shooting from a distance, ESPECIALLY on the harder difficulties. 

25 minutes ago, Bacon said:

There is almost no instance where doing the cool shit in a shooter game is actually better than sitting back and shooting from a distance, ESPECIALLY on the harder difficulties. 

Someone clearly hasn't played Titanfall and obviously plays their shooters as boring as possible. I fell asleep reading this shit man! Grow a pair and play the fun way ya bitch!

45 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Someone clearly hasn't played Titanfall and obviously plays their shooters as boring as possible. I fell asleep reading this shit man! Grow a pair and play the fun way ya bitch!

Titanfall sucks fat cock. You can call me a bitch all you want but dying isn't fun at all. I mean, enemies are fucking sponges and you are wet toilet paper. You can only do the fun shit on hard when the game is properly balanced. TW3 was not. Death March was dogshit. It wasn't impossible, but it was overly fucking tedious. Sure, on normal you can do the cool shit just fine as you don't die in one fucking hit. 

(I had shit typed out before this but it didn't save and it was too much and I don't remember it so fuck it. The above is all I remember and it isn't even worded as well as it was before.)

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Bullet time in this game is probably more similar to a VATS kind of thing.

Heck even ME had a bullet time sort of thing when you were selecting powers on the wheel.

You could play ES or Fallout in 3rd person but to do so you’d have to be a masochist.

VATS is only good on console. When I switched to PC it became pointless. And it really didn't look like VATS at all, IMO. 

That Menu shit is not fucking bullet time. You can't even shoot. It was only like that so the game wouldn't come to a complete stop, and if you had your abilities mapped the game wouldn't slow down at all. Also, the game had actual bullet time called Adrenaline Rush and it was bland AF.

See the italicized can.

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

Not the same at all? Fallout and ES are FPRPG games (which can be played in third person) and CP2077 looks like a FPSRPG. And in Fallout you can easily not use guns, and in ES you can just use a bow. CP2077 has that blade arm shit but I wouldn't really call that melee combat. Like, I wouldn't say ME had melee combat because you could stab people with a glowing arm blade.

So you think the "swing melee" in Fallout is legit but the arm blades that let you wall run, kill from above, etc, is not? Nevermind the remote hacking, bots, and diplomatic conversation options throughout the game?

Is it possible you're being unreasonably reductive to Cyberpunk and exceedingly charitable to anything else?

I get that this game has all these cool things you can do in combat with the (annoying as fuck trashy I hate it) bullet time and sliding, but LOL like that shit has ever been viable. There is almost no instance where doing the cool shit in a shooter game is actually better than sitting back and shooting from a distance, ESPECIALLY on the harder difficulties. 

So sliding behind the "boss" at the end to take out its shield mechanic close range with a shotgun didn't seem effective? And wall running above enemies to get into position to hack them and attack from above when they couldn't see you also didn't seem effective?

You're going in with the assumption that despite "all this cool shit" being there, it just won't be useful, but that's a really bizarre assumption to make. Not only doesn't it not seem valid from what we saw in Cyberpunk, but I don't think it's true for a lot of the best FPSs. The Halo series is one of my favorites because of how rewarding doing really cool shit was. The recent Doom is also best played in the "cool shit" kind of way by keeping moving, bouncing off of jump pads, double jumping, and using glory kills. Maybe you just play shit shooters? :p 

12 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Also I think the combat looks fun enough just like Witcher 3. But it’s not like the combat has been the strong suit of any of the Witcher games. It was always good enough. The world and the stories were what set it above everything else. Witcher 3 didn’t really do anything to reinvent open world action RPGs. It just kinda perfected them. I’m lookong at Cyberpunk the same way. I don’t think it’ll reinvent the genre, but I think it’ll be one of the best we’ve seen. 

I loved the combat in Witcher.  I thought it was refreshing and differed from most games.  Mostly, I liked that you absolutely needed to use potions and thus plan your battles before hand.  

Witcher 3's combat was enjoyable, but not great, IMO, and I say this as a person whose by far favorite RPG ever was Witcher 3. (I do think the combat was improved in the DLC though).

Fundamentally, I think Witcher 3's combat was held back from greatness because 

1. There was too much waiting for the opponent to make a move.
  2. Geralt could be stun locked for far too long (getting knocked over and getting back up, being blocked, or hit with some other stun move)
  3. Weapon attacks and their timings did not feel predictable enough
  4. Aiming certain spells or weapons was too clumsy

An action game of that sort doesn't need hugely long combos; in fact I usually don't like that. But the player should feel in control at all times, and should always be doing something or be rewarded for doing something rather than standing around (or taking a hit for doing the wrong thing).

On 8/23/2018 at 11:58 AM, Spork3245 said:

I don’t think it deserves its own thread, but have you guys heard about the “boycott” on the game? Someone made a reply to the CP2077 Twitter account saying “you guys” and the account replied with “did you just assume my gender?!?!?” and now people are flipping out saying that CDPR has destroyed all of their good will and they will never buy another game from them... People are f’n ridiculous.

2mbe2Z8.gif

I think humanity needs to just start over.