Bob Dole has gone to Bob Dole's eternal slumber

I remember when they kept cutting to him at the 2016 RNC looking like he was having a great time, and the take at the time was generally, "This dude is 93 and has no idea what is going on" when it really should've been, "Mainstream Republicans are mostly fine with this shit and this is just what the party represents now"

In hindsight Bob Dole seems so much better than the republicans we have today.

I remember I was in Jr High when he was running for office, and we had some sort of mock debate or discussion about the candidates... and all I remember is that we had this one kid, the class clown kind of guy... and every time anyone said the name Bob Dole out loud, he would yell out... "His name sounds like a FRUIT!" It was so dumb and he did it like 4 times. Anyway, yeah.

RIP in peace Bob Dole. I wonder if they'll bury him with his pen?

What I find interesting is that even though the man was a fixture of Republican politics for nearly a century, right now people who are anti-Trump are attacking his record because they don't agree with his support of Trump. It's like your lifetime doesn't mean a thing, but your support or lack of support of a geriatric, woman abusing golfer does.

3 hours ago, brucoe said:

What I find interesting is that even though the man was a fixture of Republican politics for nearly a century, right now people who are anti-Trump are attacking his record because they don't agree with his support of Trump. It's like your lifetime doesn't mean a thing, but your support or lack of support of a geriatric, woman abusing golfer does.

Just to invoke Godwin's Law, if someone had a great life then allied with Hitler, would people have to care about the past? If the answer is no, then we agree that there's a line but disagree on where the line is.

Now let's get away from that extreme (but remember that Trump said he "loved" the people who attempted an insurrection on the United States to violently will their wants into power, which makes Trump a dangerous man and a threat to democracy): I was shocked that Dole supported Trump. He seemed like someone who was loyal to his wife, believed in free and fair elections, someone I respected considerably despite always toeing the Republican line (such as raising doubts about John Kerry's service in 2004), yet he backed someone who was beneath contempt. 

He's a complicated figure because he was partisan all the way in how he approached politicking, but he always believed it was "just politics." I read this article last summer, prior to his death:

"He lost the election, and I regret that he did, but they did," Dole said. "He had Rudy Giuliani running all over the country, claiming fraud. He never had one bit of fraud in all those lawsuits he filed and statements he made."

"I'm a Trumper," Dole said at one point during the conversation. But he added at another, "I'm sort of Trumped out, though." 

That willingness to have a conversation, make a compromise, reach a deal seems elusive these days, he worries. 

"I don't like to second-guess, but I do believe we've lost something," he said. "I can't get my hand on it, but we're just not quite where we should be, as the greatest democracy in the world. And I don't know how you correct it, but I keep hoping that there will be a change in my lifetime."

"A great, kind, upstanding, decent person," Dole said of Biden. Even so, he said the new president is leaning too far left these days, and he chided Biden about the Keystone Pipeline. “I asked him, I said, ‘Why did you close that pipeline in (South) Dakota?’” 

Didn't happen in his lifetime, but he was always someone who admired the other side considerably, which is made easier when you don't like insurrectionists, thus I respected him as well. Trump is more than a golfer who abuses women, which is bad enough, which makes any support of him shocking for anyone old school like Dole who, far as I know, never ran the scorched earth campaigns Trump did and try to overturn an election, coordinating behind the scenes with secretaries of state and lighting the fuse of millions of dangerous Americans.

• True 1