Nicholas Cage Is...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm hoping this will be pretty good, and probably funny. It's written by Ryan Ridley, responsible for writing multiple episodes from the first three excellent seasons of Rick and Morty (as well as one episode of Invincible, where he hooked up with Robert Kirkman, who is credited here with "an original idea by"). It's also directed by Chris McKay, who did The Lego Batman Movie and The Tomorrow War. I'm curious to see how this'll turn out.

1 minute ago, Derek said:

No need to be curious. Has Mr. Cage ever done a bad movie?

I've always been a Nicolas Cage fan, but yes, he's done plenty of bad movies - remember the streak of shit from 2006-2014, something like that? So yeah, he has, many. But he's recently made a comeback so here's hoping.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've always been a Nicolas Cage fan, but yes, he's done plenty of bad movies - remember the streak of shit from 2006-2014, something like that? So yeah, he has, many. But he's recently made a comeback so here's hoping.

I think there's two ways to take the statement, "done bad movies."

Has he starred in movies that were bad? Yes

Was he bad or was the movie bad because of him? I would say not necessarily. In fact Nic Cage makes bad movies worth watching.

So I think @Derek is on the right page here. Mr. Cage has never done a bad movie.

1 hour ago, Derek said:

No need to be curious. Has Mr. Cage ever done a bad movie?

ok I finally watched the trailer. I have toked on some Golden Tiger, and found it pretty damn awesome. Looks like a slightly dramatic version of What We Do in the Shadows TV series with what Guillermo is going through.  

55 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think there's two ways to take the statement, "done bad movies."

Has he starred in movies that were bad? Yes

Was he bad or was the movie bad because of him? I would say not necessarily. In fact Nic Cage makes bad movies worth watching.

So I think @Derek is on the right page here. Mr. Cage has never done a bad movie.

Nicolas Cage has acted poorly in many films. Exhibit A: Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody else saw this over the weekend? Part of my double feature alongside The Covenant, was to see this first. What a fun freaking time. The tone is set almost instantaneously & the message is abundantly clear about overcoming toxic relationships, really well done. A whole lot of laughs & so much over the top (mostly CGI unfortunately but no less comedic AF) blood & gore. Also, kudos to Jenna Kanell for having a part in this (was formerly in Terrifier!)

• Halal 1

Saw this today and found it entertaining. It's pretty silly and occasionally the dialogue kinda irked me, but it definitely had some good funny moments. Nic Cage is of course wonderful, and Ben Schwartz was likewise a highlight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see it last night and it was fine. A perfectly suitable "oh hey, it's on [streaming service you already subscribe to]" type of movie. Some funny bits, a nice over-the-top Nic Cage performance, and a little action sprinkled in. I don't think it's going to end up a cult classic, but I had a good time in the theater.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was very enjoyable - better than it had any right to be, honestly. It's not as good as The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was (another movie that was much better than it had any right to be), the movie is simply too slight to be anything too great, but it's genuinely fun, funny and energetic despite all the hilarious R-rated blood and viscera. Genuinely exploring the toxic power dynamic between Renfield the familiar and Dracula the vampire is a smart thematic conceit. I think everyone should give this one a watch. It's not some movie you'll keep coming back to again and again, but it's definitely a good movie worth a watch.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just watched this. I wasn't going to bump the thread, but I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would. I expected a vampire movie with a few laughs. I didn't think I'd get such a fun, violent action film. The fight at his apartment building is up there as one of my favorites.

• Like 1
  • Hype 1