The official thread of SCOTUS cementing the US as a theocractic fascist state.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Do you think Biden will finally get on board with packing SCOTUS once this goes through?

I suspect Biden is never going to get the opportunity. After the midterms, he'll be lucky to have enough senators on his side to effectively run a filibuster.

1 minute ago, brucoe said:

Any time the words "forcing a woman to" begins at the start of a sentence, you're advocating for something that should never have become law. But America has never been about being concerned with a woman's perspective. And I suspect, we never will be.

If Congress was able to override SCOTUS on the issue of slavery, they surely can override SCOTUS on the issue of abortion.  

2 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I suspect Biden is never going to get the opportunity. After the midterms, he'll be lucky to have enough senators on his side to effectively run a filibuster.

Is it naive optimism to think this coming into effect in June 2022 is perfect timing to galvanize D midterm turnout?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jason said:

Is it naive optimism to think this coming into effect in June 2022 is perfect timing to galvanize D turnout?

We live in a current society of people who want instant gratification, and if they don't get it, they pretend the institutions of government don't exist. That's what's happening right now as we head into the midterms. People are pissed off because a slim majority of a broken Democrat Party isn't getting them first class service on all their wants and needs, so their response is turning to apathy and taking their ball home while holding their fingers in their ears. Unless the Democrats rally and rally hard, the Republicans are going to stomp them during the midterms, even though there's no rational reason that should happen for anything the Republicans have actually done in their own favor or interests.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Joke post?

Nope.  I'd rather not see RvW go away for logistical and moral reasons, but it was a bad decision based on faulty logic by the court 50 years ago.  If women's rights are important (they are), then Congress can make a law that codifies that right

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Nope.  I'd rather not see RvW go away for logistical and moral reasons, but it was a bad decision based on faulty logic by the court 50 years ago.  If women's rights are important (they are), then Congress can make a law that codifies that right

If wishes were ponies...

If the court does strike down Roe v Wade, that would surely galvanize Democratic voters in 2022, and possibly cause many single issue voters on the GOP side to stay home (hurr durr we won the abortion fight!), making it more likely for the Democrats to keep control of Congress.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If the court does strike down Roe v Wade, that would surely galvanize Democratic voters in 2022, and possibly cause many single issue voters on the GOP side to stay home (hurr durr we won the abortion fight!), making it more likely for the Democrats to keep control of Congress.  

LOL

• True 3

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

• True 2

59 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If Congress was able to override SCOTUS on the issue of slavery, they surely can override SCOTUS on the issue of abortion.  

43 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Oh, sweet summer child. 

"The system is designed to be able to fix these things, so therefore it is possible!" (ignores human element)

• True 1

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Apologies for my elementary understanding of checks and balances and coequal branches of government, but what exactly is the constitutional check on The Supreme Court?

The Executive nominates.  The Legislative confirms.

The Legislative impeaches.

There - those are your "constitutional checks" on the Supreme Court.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Is it naive optimism to think this coming into effect in June 2022 is perfect timing to galvanize D midterm turnout?

Dems are done in 2022.  They don't know how to craft a coherent message and stay on point. This won't change what people think about Biden. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Apologies for my elementary understanding of checks and balances and coequal branches of government, but what exactly is the constitutional check on The Supreme Court?

SCOTUS justices are theoretically impeachable. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Executive nominates.  The Legislative confirms.

The Legislative impeaches.

There - those are your "constitutional checks" on the Supreme Court.

Also, and this is the important one, the Legislative enacts laws, including Constitutional Amendments, which the Supreme Court must follow (can overturn a law based on constitutionality, but not an Amendment because it IS the Constitution). It's why the Supreme Court was finally forced to decide for Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka.