Should I be a total POS and upgrade from the 77” OLED to the 83” OLED?

13 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

So did you buy the stupid thing or what!?

GIF by NDR

11 hours ago, Biggie said:

Right?  What kind of a piece of shit makes a humble brag thread about being a piece of shit and then leaves us hanging on whether or not he is truly a piece of shit. 

My bad fam. I have been really busy working on getting our indoor theater prepped to reopen for the first time since March 2020. I’ll be ordering the new TV, in a week or so.

Yes, the 83”

On 12/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, sblfilms said:

My bad fam. I have been really busy working on getting our indoor theater prepped to reopen for the first time since March 2020. I’ll be ordering the new TV, in a week or so.

Yes, the 83”

*my jealous ass*

Angry GIF by Adult Swim

I’m . . . so happy . . . for you

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, sblfilms said:

Yes, the 83”

LG just announced a 97" model for 2022 with the C2 and G2 series
You just got cucked

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

You just got cucked

Fortunately Spiderman and my in laws kept me busy and I didn’t order yet 😮

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Fortunately Spiderman and my in laws kept me busy and I didn’t order yet 😮

Supposedly has the best heat dissipation yet, which lowers burn in risk even more, and makes it 20% brighter than the C1 as well. It may just be the G2 which will have the 97”, my guess is $10k msrp.

i did a thing GIF

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

You just got cucked

Ehhhh 97” is too soon, I’d want there to be a lot of 8k content by then unless I was sitting super far back from the screen. 83” is kind of pushing it for me at 4k and especially for when it’s a bit less with some of the reconstruction tricks that aren’t high dlss quality.

Just now, stepee said:

Ehhhh 97” is too soon, I’d want there to be a lot of 8k content by then unless I was sitting super far back from the screen. 83” is kind of pushing it for me at 4k and especially for when it’s a bit less with some of the reconstruction tricks that aren’t high dlss quality.

It’s 4k, not 8k.

Just now, stepee said:

That’s kind of what I’m saying is the problem, but I specified 8k content because even if it was 8k, we aren’t there yet for a good iq on a display that large with most content.

I disagree 865702428115730442.gif

Plenty of people use a 4k projector on screens sizes of 120” and love it

• True 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I disagree 865702428115730442.gif

Plenty of people use a 4k projector on screens sizes of 120” and love it

Hey it’s cool in vr watching stuff on an imax sized screen too, it’s just not something I’d personally want until the ppi scales better along with it. Probably in two years or so 8k should be more affordable and it should be easier to run 8k games, then going to a new insane tv size sounds exciting to me!

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Hey it’s cool in vr watching stuff on an imax sized screen too, it’s just not something I’d personally want until the ppi scales better along with it. Probably in two years or so 8k should be more affordable and it should be easier to run 8k games, then going to a new insane tv size sounds exciting to me!

12k is what we all should really want. That’s when aliasing is no longer visible and AA techniques are no longer needed 865702428115730442.gif

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

12k is what we all should really want. That’s when aliasing is no longer visible and AA techniques are no longer needed 865702428115730442.gif

Interesting, I just assumed it was 16k for that since VR is supposed to be 16k to eliminate screen door effect/make things seem perfect in vr clarity wise. Are they actually planning on making 12k instead of skipping to 16k? Nobody ever did 2k.

I generally watch the TV from my bed, and the distance from eye ball to screen is around 19 feet if my head is near the headboard. 97", while utterly ridiculous on its face, is probably right on target for my preferred screen width to distance.

It would be super awkward if I'm sitting on the couch, which is about 9 feet from the screen :lol:

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I generally watch the TV from my bed, and the distance from eye ball to screen is around 19 feet if my head is near the headboard. 97", while utterly ridiculous on its face, is probably right on target for my preferred screen width to distance.

It would be super awkward if I'm sitting on the couch, which is about 9 feet from the screen :lol:

That is pretty damn far, I’d have to see it but that actually sounds right, I’m like half the distance to the 65” in my bedroom and that one is too close but that room got a hand me down.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

That is pretty damn far, I’d have to see it but that actually sounds right, I’m like half the distance to the 65” in my bedroom and that one is too close but that room got a hand me down.

Yeah, the bedroom part of the master suite is 20x24. So a giganto TV or projector set up actually works well for bed viewing.

I know it’s been said before in regards to other resolutions, but I, personally, always felt this notion was BS until now: 12k resolution is really the peak where increases beyond it are pointless - once 12k is viable, the race then becomes an increase in sub-pixel counts per pixel, rather than an increase in overall pixel amount, as well as an increase in bit-depth. The 16k thing you see for VR is due to 2x 8k screens, not a single 16k display iirc. The screen door thing is silly anyway, as that can be solved instantly if they’d stop using cheap pentile screens with half-sub-pixel counts meant for tiny phones and just used a regular SRGB screen (like Valve did with the Index - if they used OLED instead of LCD: omg).

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I know it’s been said before in regards to other resolutions, but I, personally, always felt this notion was BS until now: 12k resolution is really the peak where increases beyond it are pointless - once 12k is viable, the race then becomes an increase in sub-pixel counts per pixel, rather than an increase in overall pixel amount, as well as an increase in bit-depth. The 16k thing you see for VR is due to 2x 8k screens, not a single 16k display iirc. The screen door thing is silly anyway, as that can be solved instantly if they’d stop using cheap pentile screens with half-sub-pixel counts meant for tiny phones and just used a regular SRGB screen (like Valve did with the Index - if they used OLED instead of LCD: omg).

Yeah for 2K I meant 1440p, the names are confusing but I meant a half way pixel count jump between 1080p and 4k, we had that with monitors but tv’s never got marketed that. I just wonder if they will continue the trend with tv’s aiming for approx 4x pixel count and just do 16k after 8k by default and skip 12k even if it was good enough and 16k wasn’t needed.  

Im pretty sure at least for my eyes anything beyond 12k I will no longer care for any reasonable screen/sitting arrangement. 

For VR the 16k number I always think of that’s been floated forever is 16kx16k but it’s not about screen door at that point, honestly even with a Quest 2 I think we are kind of beyond screen door in the way it used to be talked about. It’s more of a target to hit to have the ability to really mimic life.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2015/03/abrash-vr-needs-hit-16k-match-retinal-resolution/?amp

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/49693/amds-graphics-boss-vr-needs-16k-240hz-true-immersion/amp.html

But then they might also have just been doubling 8k and not thinking of anything in between.

I have a question actually since I’m probably going oled next, how is the reflection glare on LG oled? I had a kind of early on 4k hdr Sony lcd that was just horrible with it so during day time when the sun would shine on that wall, it would seriously affect the clarity. Especially in dark scenes I would practically be looking at myself in the reflection.

Now I got something more in between with a Vizio QLED that gets really really bright. Now I can have the sun shining right on it and be in a dark scene and it still looks great. I know OLED doesn’t get as bright, but I assume they are using material or some sort of tech to remove it nowadays?

Just now, sblfilms said:

Ok fine. It certainly is reflective in very dark scenes. Not as bad as the Sony LCD the kids use.

Ah ok, thank you! That’s good to know, I don’t think it’s a deal breaker but just knowing its something to pay attention to will be helpful when comparing models!