CDPR: GOG is "losing money", will refocus on "handpicked selection of games"

Commissar SFLUFAN

gog_galaxy.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

"Its performance does present a challenge."

CD Projekt says its GOG games storefront will put more focus on offering “a handpicked selection of games” and transfer some developers to other projects, following ongoing financial losses at the division.

“Regarding GOG, its performance does present a challenge, and recently we’ve taken measures to improve its financial standing,” CD Projekt CFO Piotr Nielubowicz told investors on a quarterly earnings call. “First and foremost, we’ve decided that GOG should focus more on its core business activity, which means offering a handpicked selection of games with its unique DRM-free philosophy. In line with this approach, there will be changes in the team structure.”

5 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

They need to stick with the 'O' in the GOG. That was the main draw back in the day. I know that DRM-free "new" games are appealing, but that's probably where most of their money is going.

Couldn't agree more. I love that they provide their service as  DRM-free, plus putting older games on there. I know Steam does a pretty good job of also providing older games, but of course, those are tied to the service itself, and thus not DRM-free. 

It would even be cooler if older console games could be introduced, but licensing, and other legal issues would be quite rampant to the point it would never get off the ground. 

Speaking of getting off the ground, I seriously want No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 to be brought back, which I know Nightdive Studios wanted to do that until legal reasons with the copyright holders filed to have it stopped (I believe it was because no one actually knows who legitimately owns the game, and is in legal limbo). That said, I do know of a "mod" that allows those games to run unofficially on modern systems with widescreen support, no-CD crack, and such. 

GOG is supposed to be that platform for games that otherwise would be lost to time, sort of an official archive for PC games, and would love to see it continue. 

3 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

Couldn't agree more. I love that they provide their service as  DRM-free, plus putting older games on there. I know Steam does a pretty good job of also providing older games, but of course, those are tied to the service itself, and thus not DRM-free.

Actually, there's a fair selection of games on Steam that are DRM-free. As in, you download them from Steam and can just copy the contents wherever you want, don't need Steam running, etc. Developers are the ones who choose to use things like Steamworks or whatever the basic Steam-must-be-open DRM is. Only exception, I think, is that they still require a first launch with Steam open to finish the installation.

200?cb=20080908121714
STEAM.FANDOM.COM

This is a list of games and software available on Steam that do not require the use of the Steam client itself (after the game or software is downloaded using the client), do not contain any third-party DRM (Games for Windows - LIVE, Uplay, Denuvo Anti-Tamper, etc.), or the optional Valve CEG (Custom Executable Generation) Steam component, making them effectively launcher-free applications once downloaded. This means that you can copy the...

On 11/30/2021 at 4:02 PM, Xbob42 said:

Actually, there's a fair selection of games on Steam that are DRM-free. As in, you download them from Steam and can just copy the contents wherever you want, don't need Steam running, etc. Developers are the ones who choose to use things like Steamworks or whatever the basic Steam-must-be-open DRM is. Only exception, I think, is that they still require a first launch with Steam open to finish the installation.

200?cb=20080908121714
STEAM.FANDOM.COM

This is a list of games and software available on Steam that do not require the use of the Steam client itself (after the game or software is downloaded using the client), do not contain any third-party DRM (Games for Windows - LIVE, Uplay, Denuvo Anti-Tamper, etc.), or the optional Valve CEG (Custom Executable Generation) Steam component, making them effectively launcher-free applications once downloaded...

Well, blow me sideways. Learned something new today.