BIG BANG THEORY TO END MAY 2019

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

*Fans released

And it was within like 6-hours :p 

Right, fans did edits quickly after.

But, and I had to go back and check this to make sure I was remembering right, the creators of the show eventually were somewhat apologetic about the fan reaction. So an alternate ending they had filmed, but decided against using originally, was released on the season 9 DVD set within a year of the finale.

The creators never fully backed off their support of the wretched ending, but they basically said, "If you want to treat the other one as canon, go ahead."

I'll put the rest in spoilers, though I am not sure if they are needed at this point....

Spoiler

I guess the official alternate ending also got rid of Robin and Barney's divorce. Which I actually was ok with in the original ending. I get the valid complaint that it summarily killed the entire build of the final season. But I also though it worked because...

1. It fit with the long developed characteristics of each character. Barney and Robin were both alpha loners. Sometimes in life, love just isn't enough to keep people together. Also, all of Barney's growth throughout the series pointed to him being the kind of guy who was never going to be a good husband, but could be a good dad because of what he experienced. 

2. Related to #1. I find that most of the people who defend Tracy's death use pretty much just one argument, "Oh get over it. Just because it's a sitcom doesn't mean everyone should live happily ever after". Which is annoying, because I agree with it. But my problem with her death isn't just because I wanted a blanket happy ending.

I liked how the finale jumped into the future showing Marshall still struggling with his career. The more somber tone was a good way of showing how their lives would go if the series continued. Ups and downs. And like I said, I can accept the divorce because it fits the character. But Tracy's death wasn't some event brought on by inherent traits of the characters. It was the creators randomly throwing a lightning bolt at her head.

And what's worse, is that they pretty clearly did this just because it is what they had originally planned. So they ignored all the character development that took place throughout the series. We were never supposed to get to know the mother so well(especially the last season where Milioti's portrayal was both the high point of the season, and managed to achieve the rare feat of living up to ridiculous expectations a series had built up over years). We also weren't meant to see Robin and Ted go back and forth so many times. Maybe the ending would have been romantic and satisfying if it had wrapped up in season 3 or 4. But anyone who paid any attention to the series would rightly surmise that within a month of Ted showing up at her apartment, Robin would be looking for a way out of the relationship yet again.

The few who defend the original ending say that Ted living happily ever after with Tracy would be just too cliche and cloying. But them asking us to beleive that he lived happily ever after with Robin is even more ridiculous because it didn't fit the characters.

All in all, I think the creators wanted their Ross and Rachel moment, but they were too blind or scared to acknowledge the series had evolved past the ending they originally had envisioned.

But anyway. And yeah, I am aware of the irony of such a rant after saying I don't analyze the comedies I like to death. But HIMYM and Enterprise both have endings bad enough that it still stings :p

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you hate Seinfeld then maybe you’re the kind of person that is upset The Big Bang Theory is ending. :thinking:

Your reading skills need some work. I said in this very thread there's only one sitcom I've ever really enjoyed. 

I've only ever seen half an episode of BBT, while at my in-laws, and it was painful. It ending isn't going to change my life.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I never watched more than maybe an episode or two of HIMYM.

What did people hate the ending so much that it ruined the whole show? It's different than Seinfeld where many hate the ending but still love the series.

Did you watch Enterprise?

It wasn't just that the ending was bad, it was that it managed to reach back and taint the stuff that had come before it.

Spoiler below....

Spoiler

If you watched an episode, and read the title of the series, then you probably know the series has the premise that it is about Ted, the main character, in 2030 telling his kids the story of how he met their mother.

It flashes back all the way to 2005, the year the pilot aired, and the series ran for 9 years. The entire series follows this premise of Ted telling his kid stories, ostensibly as  building blocks to how he finally met their mother.

During the series he has a group of friends. Marshall and Lily(and engaged couple), Barney(womanizer), and Robin. Ted knew them all prior to the pilot except Robin. She was introduced in the pilot as a love interest for Ted, sort of tricking the audience into thinking this was the mother. 

As the series went on, Ted and Robin's romance was the focal point of the first two seasons, and then the later seasons. And as time went on it became apparent that the mother was never really meant to be a part of the series. She was just a pilot device.

But they did start introducing hints and clues about how they would meet. So even as the creators(I think) kind of started regretting the device altogether, fans wanted to know who the mother was. It became the thing the series was known for. Would it be someone we've  met in the series? Would it be a big name actress?

Finally, at the very end of season 8 they introduced the mother. An absolutely wonderful and adorable actress named Christin Milioti. And, as I said above, unlike a lot of series that build stuff up, she played the part great and her appeal, and her chemistry with Ted, made the payoff feel worth it(I would say imho, but I think most fans agreed). While most fans think season 9 was probably the weakest of the series, most also seem to agree that Ted and Tracy were the high point of the season.

The season does two things. The whole season is set over just a few days as Ted attends a wedding. This runs chronologically as the show does a surprisingly good job of filling in all the canon hints throughout the series of how the exact moment of them meeting happened.

But it also has certain moments sprinkled throughout the series that show moments in Ted and Tracy's relationship. Like their first date, when he proposes(one of my favorite moments in the series<3), and when she gave birth to their daughter.

Basically, the whole season did something I think the creators never meant to do, which is introduce the mother into the series as an actual character.

Then after all this, it is revealed in the final episode that Tracy died in the 2020's, so the premise is that Ted has been telling his kids about their dead mother all this time.

To make matters worse, the series ends with the kids giving their blessing for Ted to give a relationship with Robin one more try.

The problem with this is that if you end the series in season 3 or 4 before we all just fell in love with Tracy(!), and Robin and Ted hadn't repeatedly tried and failed to make a relationship work so many times it had become a parody of itself, then maybe it works. 

But the show had outgrown the original ending they had wanted but they refused to change it.

So to a certain extent, knowing that the mother dies casts a pall over the entire series.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Did you watch Enterprise?

It wasn't just that the ending was bad, it was that it managed to reach back and taint the stuff that had come before it.

Spoiler below....

Hide contents

If you watched an episode, and read the title of the series, then you probably know the series has the premise that it is about Ted, the main character, in 2030 telling his kids the story of how he met their mother.

It flashes back all the way to 2005, the year the pilot aired, and the series ran for 9 years. The entire series follows this premise of Ted telling his kid stories, ostensibly as  building blocks to how he finally met their mother.

During the series he has a group of friends. Marshall and Lily(and engaged couple), Barney(womanizer), and Robin. Ted knew them all prior to the pilot except Robin. She was introduced in the pilot as a love interest for Ted, sort of tricking the audience into thinking this was the mother. 

As the series went on, Ted and Robin's romance was the focal point of the first two seasons, and then the later seasons. And as time went on it became apparent that the mother was never really meant to be a part of the series. She was just a pilot device.

But they did start introducing hints and clues about how they would meet. So even as the creators(I think) kind of started regretting the device altogether, fans wanted to know who the mother was. It became the thing the series was known for. Would it be someone we've  met in the series? Would it be a big name actress?

Finally, at the very end of season 8 they introduced the mother. An absolutely wonderful and adorable actress named Christin Milioti. And, as I said above, unlike a lot of series that build stuff up, she played the part great and her appeal, and her chemistry with Ted, made the payoff feel worth it(I would say imho, but I think most fans agreed). While most fans think season 9 was probably the weakest of the series, most also seem to agree that Ted and Tracy were the high point of the season.

The season does two things. The whole season is set over just a few days as Ted attends a wedding. This runs chronologically as the show does a surprisingly good job of filling in all the canon hints throughout the series of how the exact moment of them meeting happened.

But it also has certain moments sprinkled throughout the series that show moments in Ted and Tracy's relationship. Like their first date, when he proposes(one of my favorite moments in the series<3), and when she gave birth to their daughter.

Basically, the whole season did something I think the creators never meant to do, which is introduce the mother into the series as an actual character.

Then after all this, it is revealed in the final episode that Tracy died in the 2020's, so the premise is that Ted has been telling his kids about their dead mother all this time.

To make matters worse, the series ends with the kids giving their blessing for Ted to give a relationship with Robin one more try.

The problem with this is that if you end the series in season 3 or 4 before we all just fell in love with Tracy(!), and Robin and Ted hadn't repeatedly tried and failed to make a relationship work so many times it had become a parody of itself, then maybe it works. 

But the show had outgrown the original ending they had wanted but they refused to change it.

So to a certain extent, knowing that the mother dies casts a pall over the entire series.

Ahhh!

Endings are freaking hard, man. Doing a little reading, I found out they recorded the ending to the series years prior, so the 

Spoiler

introduction of the mother, from what I understand, complicated things due to how much people really liked her. Is that accurate?

44 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Ahhh!

Endings are freaking hard, man. Doing a little reading, I found out they recorded the ending to the series years prior, so the 

Hide contents

introduction of the mother, from what I understand, complicated things due to how much people really liked her. Is that accurate?

Pretty much, yeah.

And yeah, it's obvious they went with the original ending because in the first couple of seasons they had Ted's kids in the future ask questions about the stories he was telling.

But as the series went on, those actors grew up, so they stopped using them(Ted continued framing every episode as a story, the kids just didn't interact). But the series ending includes a clip from the kids that must have been filmed in the first season(they had to keep the secret for nearly a decade!)

I always like to point out the wackiness of the HIMYM timeline by pointing out by the time the series ended and they introduced the mother, the actress who played the daughter was nearly the same age as the actress who played Ted's wife :D

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I always thought the "hook" was contrived and silly... this dude is telling his kids all about the sex he and his friends used to have? lolok

Did you actually watch the series? 

1. The kids are somewhere around 15 and 17. So it's really not that crazy.

2. Ted's character is exactly the kind of guy who would tell his kids these type of stories. Not in a pervy way, but in an excitable, goofy guy who is halfway through a story before realizing it may not be appropriate kind of way.

3. It is a running gag throughout the series that not everything you are seeing on screen is what he is telling the kids. This is used to comic effect quite a lot.

33 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

2. Ted's character is exactly the kind of guy who would tell his kids these type of stories. Not in a pervy way, but in an excitable, goofy guy who is halfway through a story before realizing it may not be appropriate kind of way.

3. It is a running gag throughout the series that not everything you are seeing on screen is what he is telling the kids. This is used to comic effect quite a lot.

Sandwiches!

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I watched the first season and a half or so somewhat recently before I put it into the vanilla, non-funny, CBS sitcom pile and stopped watching. It's the same as the Big Bang Theory to me. I get why people think it's funny and special, it just doesn't move the needle.

The Big Bang Theory ending because Jim Parsons was ready to leave

CBS and Warner Bros. TV made the decision to end The Big Bang Theory in 2019 because star Jim Parsons was ready to walk away from the hit sitcom, EW has learned exclusively.

With a reported salary near $1 million per episode, Parsons — along with his four original costars Kaley Cuoco, Johnny Galecki, Kunal Nayyar, and Simon Helberg — stood to make more than $50 million including profits if he agreed to stay on TBBT for two more years, which is what CBS was trying to negotiate.

But Parsons was ready to say goodbye to the ensemble sitcom that made him a household name. Since there is no show without Dr. Sheldon Cooper, next spring’s 12th season finale of The Big Bang Theory will mark the end of the longest-running multi-camera series in TV history.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, GeneticBlueprint said:

The first 2 or 3 seasons are genuinely great. Then they all found love and it's just Friends now. Don't think I've even given it a shot since the seventh or so season.

I only ever laughed at one scene, and that was the ball pit bazinga scene.

• 8 months later...