Can we talk about Arcane can we Please talk about Arcane (Netflix League of Legends animated series), update: Season 2 First Look video

unogueen

Just now, XxEvil AshxX said:

What's Arcane?

A cartoon based on League of Legends

11 minutes ago, unogueen said:

I love the way the show adores to embellish cliches to a keen shine. Also it's a masterwork of craft. Someone else pls say something.

This would likely get more traction on the entertainment board

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Can we talk about Arcane can we Please talk about Arcane (Netflix League of Legends animated series)
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think one person here likes league so this topic probably won't get much attention. I might watch it sometime, not a high priority though.

I have no interest in league but I enjoy a good animated series so I will be checking it out 

Watched the first 3 episodes, HOLY SHIT even it just maintains this level of quality through the rest of the series it will end up as something very special.

The animation is so good especially in the fight scenes, they are simultaneously super fluid while having tremendous impact to the blows, and a gritty scrappy realness to the choreography.

The world/mechanical design is top notch as well.

I am not even going to get into the characters or plot due to spoilers, rest assured they are also great. 

After six episodes I feel like the show is good but moves a little too fast for its own good. At this point with the exception of Viktor, I'm confused about everyone's motivation or exactly how they think their actions will achieve their goals. I'm getting strong "actually right" vibes from Silco, but I'm not sure whether or not the show is being coy about explaining his goals or if it thinks the vague flashbacks we've gotten so far are sufficient explanation. 

Also did I miss something or did they just never explain the leap in logic that lead Caitlyn to find Vi. As I understand it Caitlyn found that there was no reason for Vi's incarceration listed, so she assumed that Vi was somehow involved in the recent attacks? 

The animation is great and the fight scenes are surprisingly brutal considering the source material is a game made for intellectually challenged children. 

• Haha 1

Full spoilers below, I'm ultimately pretty disappointed in the narrative.

Spoiler

The ending just really took the wind out of my sails in a bad way. It felt like none of the actions that Vi or anyone else took to try to reach Jinx really had any effect, and her psychosis was ultimately more durable than reality. This just leads me to question why I should care about anything that happened in the show, if ultimately despite everything Jinx's personality and actions were set in stone in the blank space in the time skip, and nothing that happened afterwards altered her course from nihilistic destruction. She occasionally had moments of internal conflict but no real character development after the time skip. A good tragedy is usually a series of mistakes and misunderstandings that leads to tragic but avoidable consequences. At the end of a good tragedy, you should be left thinking of all the moments where catastrophe could have been avoided, but at the end of this show all I got was "Jinx gonna Jinx."

Also Silco was cool and right. He could've been cooler and righter if he wasn't determined to go about everything in the most evil way possible, often to the detriment of his own cause, but whatever. Silco for life.

18 hours ago, Moa said:

Full spoilers below, I'm ultimately pretty disappointed in the narrative.

Reveal hidden contents

Jinx was set in stone the second she killed her "brothers" and was abandoned by Vi, whatever Silco did with her during the time skip is completely secondary to that. She was a troubled girl from episode 1, tacking on about as a traumatic event that a person can experience and I don't have a problem with her not being ok in the end

5 hours ago, elbobo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I didn't/don't really see it that way. In the first introduction to "Jinx" we see that she's clearly conflicted after killing the pink-haired woman. Throughout the rest of the show she continues to have small redeemable moments frequently enough that I don't think it's unreasonable to call the battle between Silco and Vi for Jinx's soul the primary thematic conflict in the show. Through that lens, I just found the finale so unsatisfying. It isn't that they went for a "nobody wins" finale, because those can be executed very well. It's that the specific way they did it doesn't make sense to me. Jinx is motivated primarily by a desire for belonging and the belief that the only way she will be accepted is to be useful. At no point does she seem interested in Silco's ideology or the nation of Zorn(?). She is loyal to him and acts in his interests because he has become a father to her. So after she kills Silco it just doesn't make sense that she would be interested in escalating his conflict.

17 hours ago, Moa said:
  Hide contents

I didn't/don't really see it that way. In the first introduction to "Jinx" we see that she's clearly conflicted after killing the pink-haired woman. Throughout the rest of the show she continues to have small redeemable moments frequently enough that I don't think it's unreasonable to call the battle between Silco and Vi for Jinx's soul the primary thematic conflict in the show. Through that lens, I just found the finale so unsatisfying. It isn't that they went for a "nobody wins" finale, because those can be executed very well. It's that the specific way they did it doesn't make sense to me. Jinx is motivated primarily by a desire for belonging and the belief that the only way she will be accepted is to be useful. At no point does she seem interested in Silco's ideology or the nation of Zorn(?). She is loyal to him and acts in his interests because he has become a father to her. So after she kills Silco it just doesn't make sense that she would be interested in escalating his conflict.

Spoiler

Remorse is a weird emotion. Sometimes people want release through penance, some escape through vice. Silco was a ruthless man, and in killing him Jinx did fulfill his final requirement, complete self reliance.

Finally watched this - it was fucking awesome and gorgeous to watch. Ekko for life. Really dug the show, though I felt it made some narrative leaps in episode 6 and then the last three episodes kind of spun their wheels for way too long. Also Vi and Caitlyn constantly getting knocked out was annoying lol.

But overall, a fantastic show. I enjoyed the DOTA animated series DOTA: Dragon's Blood, but this was next level - I never would have expected such quality from a League of Legends animated show. I also hear great things about the recently released turn based RPG Ruined King: A League of Legends Story, and I'm now interested in playing that too.