RIP in Peace, Vox - our former board member has joined the New York Times

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He’s back on his old bullshit

i don’t agree with everything in this thread (I just don’t know enough about it to say one way or the other) but there’sa few points worth mentioning

Good job trollpez 

Oh now you want both sides? Pick a lane.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yet he puts that stuff in the New York Times. Curious. 

I would have gone with his publicly trying to dunk on his Vox colleagues as lazy moochers during their unionization push as the counterpoint for, seriously, you're embarrassed of us and the shit you used to post here? 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I would have gone with his publicly trying to dunk on his Vox colleagues as lazy moochers during their unionization push as the counterpoint for, seriously, you're embarrassed of us and the shit you used to post here? 

And this piece for the times is basically the same thing as his last one for vox. I’m working with what I’ve got in front of me!

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is the gray zone alt right stuff? 

No, actually. They're far LEFT. But they're an example of the horseshoe theory thing. 

They defend Assad in Syria by denying he committed chemical attacks. They are deferential to Russia in all manner of story when the US and Russia intersect (UK chemical attacks, Syria, Ukraine). They deny the Uyighur ethnic cleansing. Overall, they are anti-imperialist when it comes to the US, but take the diametrical opposite position, which is often pro-Russia or pro-China. 

Oh, and they have lately gone DEEP into anti-vax nonsense. Their founder, Max Blumenthal, was at that anti-vax rally in DC today. 

So basically, they're contrarian cranks that go so deep on an ideology they fly past reasonable conclusions and go straight to propaganda--much like Lopez. 

6 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Regardless of his obnoxious political leanings, I can’t really badmouth someone who used to do 24-hr gaming charities for children’s hospitals 

People are complex, for sure. Even people we would consider to be close to evil might help their buddy move houses, or donate to a cousin's GoFundMe. But personal friendliness doesn't necessarily equate to being a good person. To be clear, I'm not calling Lopez a bad person, because I don't know him well enough. But I know he has dumb and harmful views, and unfortunately is someone in a position to spread those views.

Lopez won, tbh. Not only did he make something of himself, but we have a thread dedicated to him right now. I doubt he's patrolling the boards and showing his coworkers the overflow of OTs because we're scared of different threads.

Also, with love: fuck y'all. Man, whenever I dislike someone, you guys like them and vice versa. When I didn't like Lopez, he apparently grew up tremendously, become a smart, studious poster, and was an asset to the board. I get no support from the board at the time I dislike him. Now I like him and we dedicate a thread to how much we hate him? FOH :talkhand:

And then Engel was one of the good conservatives for years even though he was a racist loser who thought whites shouldn't have given up power without a fight and was basically Everyman but slightly more subtle. I was trying to tell you guys he sucked for years and ended up being an omen to what the rotund, putrid mass of id is the current Republican Party, someone who thought the Supreme Court had no enforcement arm to back up "liberal" decisions, an embodiment of everything people were afraid of with Trump and all the far-right crazies who dominate the party. But he was good at the time because he could use nouns and verbs to construct more than sentence fragments, so y'all wasted my time defending his scrawny ass. :shameonyou:

I hate you (respectfully).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

If it makes you feel better I never liked him cuz of his SWTOR trolling. 

He basically did end up being right tho, which made me dislike him even more lmao. SWTOR was literally the reason I got a gaming PC. I saw those trailers and knew I had to get the game that had trailers that good. I mean, Dragon Age Origins had amazing trailers and that was great. Surely SWTOR was going to be the same...

And regarding the charity thing. That is the #1 thing some people with unfortunate morals turn towards to when trying to boost their public image. Donate some laptops to the poors while supplying arms to people who have two arms. Now, I'm not saying that's what Lopez does, but

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If it makes you feel better I never liked him cuz of his SWTOR trolling. 

He basically did end up being right tho, which made me dislike him even more lmao. SWTOR was literally the reason I got a gaming PC. I saw those trailers and knew I had to get the game that had trailers that good. I mean, Dragon Age Origins had amazing trailers and that was great. Surely SWTOR was going to be the same...

Was it Lopez or Engel who trolled SWTOR? I wasn't there.