What was the most ‘perfect’ game of the past 10 years?

gamer.tv

Celeste? Mario Odyssey is my favorite Mario since 64 probably but there’s just too many fucking moons. Would have been better with less to to collect overall but more meaningful “level-like” objectives within the worlds. After you beat it there is so much to do but nothing ever quite feels like getting a new level besides the terrible sounding secret last world that I couldn’t be arsed to get to because it all felt tedious. And while normally I don’t need to much of an end game in Mario, but since the levels are meant to continue to explore, you can’t really easily “replay” a particular level without replaying the entire game, which ended up kind of sinking my opinion of it due to replayability in the areas that I think are fun. I think in some critical ways Bowser Fury has already surpassed Odyssey anyway and I think shows Nintendo is on track to something suppppper good next game. 

Edit: Oh I just ranted on Mario instead. Yeah, I don’t like having to find the secret crystals for the full ending part of Celeste, but the game proper is still sort of perfect and that’s a minor complaint anyway. Music, art, control, level design, story, everything pretty much perfectly achieves what it sets out to be.

God of War would be my most perfect AAA game it’s just those all still have so many flaws because they are trying to achieve so much and technology isn’t there for everything. But it’s level design and gameplay just feel so refined and solid to me in a way that other perfect games like Super Mario Word are.

Celeste is the first game that comes to mind. It's not my absolute favorite game of the last decade, but it is one that accomplishes absolutely everything it set out to do and pushed its mechanics and design to the absolute limit for those who want to explore it.

Along those lines and for basically the exact same reason, Hollow Knight was pretty damn perfect.

Outer Wilds also springs to mind.

• Like 1

Titanfall 2 was great, but I wanted more from the campaign. It had so many great ideas but never let me play with what I wanted to play with for as long as I wanted to play with it.

The DOOMs were also both close. DOOM 2016 made me wish there were just a tad more demons, DOOM Eternal made me wish there were actually a tad fewer demons (especially the DLC on nightmare).

25 minutes ago, Moa said:

Celeste is the first game that comes to mind. It's not my absolute favorite game of the last decade, but it is one that accomplishes absolutely everything it set out to do and pushed its mechanics and design to the absolute limit for those who want to explore it.

Along those lines and for basically the exact same reason, Hollow Knight was pretty damn perfect.

Outer Wilds also springs to mind.

I agreed with Hollow Knight until it kept going and going and started to feel bloated with a map too bit for the traversal available to be efficient. It just lacked focus after the front half for me I guess.

Bloodborne leaves nothing to be desired, it is absolutely a perfect video game.

I think the original Overwatch is the most perfectly designed multiplayer FPS of all time. Obviously the execution has changed a bit in terms of balancing, rosters, maps, etc., but I think the original is flawless from a game design perspective.

• Like 1

I'd say Stardew Valley, even though I've gotten to the point where I get bored after the first year. But I think that might be because I have like 500 hours across multiple platforms and I know that game inside and out. Still, though, I think it hits close to perfection.

If I had to pick another one, it would be Cities: Skylines, but not because the game is perfect at all. There are plenty of things I hate about it. But it's basically the best game in my favorite genre to come out in the last 20+ years and no one is even close, so... not sure how we're grading this. Super Mario Odyssey is an objectively better game than Cities: Skylines.

I don't know, I guess it really depends on your criteria. Is it about being uniquely special in a way that no one else has replicated, or a more ubiquitous quality that a bunch of other people have replicated?

6 hours ago, Chris- said:

Bloodborne leaves nothing to be desired, it is absolutely a perfect video game.

I think the original Overwatch is the most perfectly designed multiplayer FPS of all time. Obviously the execution has changed a bit in terms of balancing, rosters, maps, etc., but I think the original is flawless from a game design perspective.

Bloodborne suffers from running like ass at some points and for the usual From obtuseness. It is the best From game though and that’s saying something. 

Celeste is a Great choice. I’d also say Burnout Paradise is pretty close. Breath of the Wild is probably perfect for me, but there’s too much jank and needed QOL improvements to say it qualifies. 

Off the top of my head: Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Portal 2, Outer Wilds, Minecraft are ones that maybe I don’t even personally love the most but nailed their thing as good as game can. I feel like I am forgetting a few. Maybe that mech puzzle game that came out a few years ago that was dope as hell. 

Hades is a good one too. While I’d like it more if it wasn’t a rogue-lite, I can’t knock it for something it’s trying to be.

And even then I still quite enjoyed the game despite itself because it made you feel like you were progressing even as you were dying, both narratively and mechanically. That’s something almost none of these ever feel like to me after not too long (this includes this years roguelite darling Returnal) if I’m just not good enough at them.

Hades has a way of making you feel rewarded even if you didn’t actually make much progress towards the end goal and as far as I can gather it sacrifices very little to pull that trick off. So for that I kind of respect Hades even more since it’s something Im normally not fond of.

For me TitanFall 2 comes very damn close to being a perfect game. The level design with a well thought out progressive abilities slowly introduced along the way. It is one of my fav single player games I had played in some time. The only marks against it, is that I wish the campaign was longer.

Batman: Arkham City also comes just in under the 10 year release mark. I played the hell out of that game, and could spend forever just zipping and gliding across the city. The city was alive with riddler puzzles, photo Easter eggs, mini games, amazing graphics and one hell of a story to play. Sure some parts were close to playing The Water Temple from Zelda: OoT but fun still to play. 

***now I love this game but still haven’t gone back to finish it yet. Still I think it’s worth throwing in Control as a potential perfect game.I just love everything about it from the ever changing interiors, fun powers, sound is eerie/creepy atmosphere and great graphics. Maybe they could go lighter on some respawns but overall an amazing game all should play

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Bloodborne suffers from running like ass at some points and for the usual From obtuseness. It is the best From game though and that’s saying something. 

Celeste is a Great choice. I’d also say Burnout Paradise is pretty close. Breath of the Wild is probably perfect for me, but there’s too much jank and needed QOL improvements to say it qualifies. 

Bloodborne’s performance wasn’t so bad that I thought about dropping it (unlike BotW and The Witcher 3). 

• True 1