YouTube is planning to remove the public dislikes count, starting today

Brian

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I actually think this is a good thing. Tons of videos get bombed with negative reactions as a means of bullying the creator of the video.

The downvote doesn't serve any real purpose other than harassing creators these days. Get a ton of dislikes and you're going to start trending because of "engagement". Also, YouTube doesn't work like a music service. Downvoting a video won't stop you from seeing more videos from that creator. The only way to do that is to block the entire channel from your feed.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

We had downvotes in the very early days, an account called “Punisher” got absolutely fucking shellacked.

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time but remember all too well.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Well if it weren’t for that downvote. We would/might still be stuck with this monstrosity 

Question What GIF by Nerdist.com

But then we wouldn't have gotten the Steve Buscemi version if they did it right the first time.

D5dybbfXkAIM5U4.jpg

• True 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time but remember all too well.

But then we wouldn't have gotten the Steve Buscemi version if they did it right the first time.

D5dybbfXkAIM5U4.jpg

I think we have his costume picked for next year ;)  Eyes also look like our (pretty sure) stoned out History Channel Alien friend

ancient aliens GIF

I'd be really interested in seeing how this affects brigading. I would imagine that plenty of people that go out of their way to downvote videos or rate a movie they haven't seen on RT or IMDB like seeing that dislike tally climb or the average rating drop. If you're not getting that sense of collective action, it might well disincentivize the downvoters.

I've seen a lot of creators get upset about this, somehow having the expectation that without a visible dislike count that bad videos will thrive.

For those that don't speak Destiny, the quoted tweet is expecting this change to help proliferate fake guide videos and potentially spoiler filled videos that have been data-mined.

I feel like creators are probably hyper aware of dislike counts, but as a viewer I ignore them. I never check the dislike ratio before watching a video, but I have no clue if that is typical or not. Partly I don't look at dislike counts because most of the videos I watch are from creators I follow or have watched before, so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I also don't check the ratio because I don't feel like it's a useful metric. The like/dislike ratio on a Verge video is probably more indicative of if they touch on anything mildly political. If I see a nearly 1:1 ratio on an IGN video, I have zero expectation that the bad ratio relates to the video itself, and probably has to do with some wider backlash to a game or a company or whatever.

46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Likes or dislikes don't even show up when you search for a video or on the main page, you can only see them when you get to a video and by then it's too late you're watching the video not looking at the dislikes or likes then watching the video.

This is correct. This also wouldn't affect recommendeds. The dislikes are still there, just not visible when you've clicked on videos. Creators will still be able to view their dislikes as well. I don't get how this would affect anyone other than people that feel good seeing the ratio.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I've seen a lot of creators get upset about this, somehow having the expectation that without a visible dislike count that bad videos will thrive.

For those that don't speak Destiny, the quoted tweet is expecting this change to help proliferate fake guide videos and potentially spoiler filled videos that have been data-mined.

I feel like creators are probably hyper aware of dislike counts, but as a viewer I ignore them. I never check the dislike ratio before watching a video, but I have no clue if that is typical or not. Partly I don't look at dislike counts because most of the videos I watch are from creators I follow or have watched before, so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I also don't check the ratio because I don't feel like it's a useful metric. The like/dislike ratio on a Verge video is probably more indicative of if they touch on anything mildly political. If I see a nearly 1:1 ratio on an IGN video, I have zero expectation that the bad ratio relates to the video itself, and probably has to do with some wider backlash to a game or a company or whatever.

I saw a similar viewpoint on reddit yesterday about how it will make it impossible to know before you waste your time watching whether a programming tutorial guide actually teaches what it claims to.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I saw a similar viewpoint on reddit yesterday about how it will make it impossible to know before you waste your time watching whether a programming tutorial guide actually teaches what it claims to.

The valid criticisms I've seen revolve around tutorials or whether a history video or something similar is actually right wing trash.

Mostly when it comes to some mobile shit, but there are so many unhelpful mobile tuts that claim to fix your issue but are nearly total bullshit. The equivalent of turning your phone on and off. You can 100% rely on the dislike ratio to see if you should stick around. 

MKBHD (a top tech YouTuber) put out a video saying he doesn't like the changes.

He argues the ratio is useful in determining the usefulness of a video. He specifically calls out YouTube as a search engine (it's the second biggest, right after Google itself), but as @Keyser_Soze points out, you really only see the ratio after you've landed. If had made like ratios more visible throughout the UI, I'd be much more willing to buy into this argument.

Then again, I'm willing to buy into the argument that a lot of people use YouTube differently than I do, and it makes sense to me that creators or others that spend a lot of time on YouTube, are more aware of these metrics and check them out constantly. I'd also be willing to guess that most YouTube views are like mine, basically never checking the ratio at all.

• Like 1

Removing the dislike button is a huge win for YouTube. Their goal is to keep you engaged as long as possible and deliver as many ads to you as possible. Example: Click on this how to video, sit through two 15 second ads, oh this video blatantly lied in the title and has no answers for you. You spent 3 or 4 minutes watching it so now the next video you click on is sure to play more ads. Slime ball move by YouTube. 

On 11/12/2021 at 12:59 PM, TwinIon said:

MKBHD (a top tech YouTuber) put out a video saying he doesn't like the changes.

He argues the ratio is useful in determining the usefulness of a video. He specifically calls out YouTube as a search engine (it's the second biggest, right after Google itself), but as @Keyser_Soze points out, you really only see the ratio after you've landed. If had made like ratios more visible throughout the UI, I'd be much more willing to buy into this argument.

Then again, I'm willing to buy into the argument that a lot of people use YouTube differently than I do, and it makes sense to me that creators or others that spend a lot of time on YouTube, are more aware of these metrics and check them out constantly. I'd also be willing to guess that most YouTube views are like mine, basically never checking the ratio at all.

That's what I don't get. The ratio use only available to you after you've already chosen to play a video. Also, I can't imagine there are that many people that do pay attention to the ratio but also don't use ad block or subscribe you YouTube Red.

Videos with a poor ratio are already going to be deprioritized in your search. Unless you're playing the "I wonder what's on page two of my Google search results" game, I don't see how it would ever really come into play. I think MKBHD is a little out of touch on this one. He's big enough that he doesn't have to worry about dying as a creator because trolls are ratio-ing his videos to page three of the search results. Also, yes, I know YouTube does infinite scrolling, but you all know what I mean.

I personally find ratio or downvote count worthless now a days on youtube. People keep saying you can just check on a tutorial if the downvote count is high that it's bad yet I've crossed many bad tutorials that had very low vote counts and the up votes were higher than downvotes yet the comments had a good number of people calling out that the video didn't actually solve or do anything (which happen to be the case for me as well, it was to reset a surface pen to get it working).

If you look at so many news snippets on youtube they just a flood of downvotes because people are just out to express "MSM is full of lies" or "COVID is a hoax". The up/down votes are completely worthless in this situation.

I also would have to say the way people talk like sonic movie was fixed because of the downvoting of the video isn't really the full story/true. It was the backlash on twitter, news articles etc that caused for change, not simply just because the video was downvoted.