Inflation sucks bruh: JPow's Jihad

Got my daycare renewal form in the mail for next year and it’s gonna be $1800 a month (12.5% increase). That’s basically my mortgage payment. Thanks Obama. 

Edit: this is north Jersey. Still cheaper than some places that are closer to me which charge a cool $2200 a month. 

• Shocked 3

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Got my daycare renewal form in the mail for next year and it’s gonna be $1800 a month. That’s basically my mortgage payment. Thanks Obama. 

Jesus Christ. Just buy a live-in Nanny. You could afford them a comfortable middle class lifestyle and probably still be paying less 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

Jesus Christ. Just buy a live-in Nanny. You could afford them a comfortable middle class lifestyle and probably still be paying less 

1800/4/40=11.25/hr. 

Good daycare is very good for children and it is a fucking shame that the only people who can afford it are those who are already fairly well off, perpetuating a virtuous cycle available to those with means. I’m personally paying $315/week for my youngest right now

20 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

1800/4/40=11.25/hr. 

Good daycare is very good for children and it is a fucking shame that the only people who can afford it are those who are already fairly well off, perpetuating a virtuous cycle available to those with means. I’m personally paying $315/week for my youngest right now

Live-in = no housing costs doe.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

Live-in = no housing costs doe.

10 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

This is what I was getting at. 

I make decent money but I could never dream of affording anything like $300 a fucking week for childcare 

$11.25 is still not enough lmao  And you’d still have to be able to have at least an additional bedroom if not an ADU so you’d be paying for that in place of wages. 

the benefit of daycares comes in scale. At a younger age you need staffing levels of 2/3 kids to one teacher. As they get older this ratio gets larger. This way the teachers can* still make a decent wage, benefits, and work life balance and not have to live with or next to their employer

*absolutely doesn’t mean this happens in practice right now

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
55804455-0-image-a-61_1648227080764.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Wayne Pankratz, the executive director of operations for AFC, allegedly said employees and applicants are economically hurting, which he saw as an 'advantage.'

I’ve always felt that the businesses would outlast disorganized labor when it comes to the battle over wages during the Covid era once government subsidies ran out. I think we will see more of these stories in the coming 12-18 months as capital tries to reset the board in their favor.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

but what does it mean

When the short-term and long-term yield curves become inverted, it implies that investors see the potential that long-term interest rates will be lower in the future which is typically associated with a recessionary scenario.  This scenario can be theoretically correlated with the current impetus towards higher short-term interest rates which are being used to rein-in inflation, but could also have the effect of also curtailing economic growth to the point of causing a recession.

The "normal" way for the relationship between short-term and long-term yield curves to be represented involves the notion that an investor holding an interest-bearing investment for a longer period of time is theoretically exposed to higher inflationary risks than an investor holding a similar interest-bearing investment for a shorter period of time due to the effects of inflation on the "real" returns of long-term assets.  This inflationary risk pressure is why long-term interest rates are higher than short-term ones in order to compensate for bearing that risk.

The narrowing spread between the yield curves implies that the overall economic outlook is getting murkier (threat of recession = lower long-term interest rates in order to stimulate growth) as the tweet posted by @ManUtdRedDevils states.

I'll let @rc0101 provide any corrections or clarifications to what I posted as this is very much his business :p

On 2/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Got my daycare renewal form in the mail for next year and it’s gonna be $1800 a month (12.5% increase). That’s basically my mortgage payment. Thanks Obama. 

Edit: this is north Jersey. Still cheaper than some places that are closer to me which charge a cool $2200 a month. 

I'm excited that we only have one more year of daycare costs after almost 7 years of having to pay this. There were 2 years where we had two kids in at once and that was double the cost.... it's prohibitively expensive, a second mortgage. 

My brother did mention seeing Xbox Series X still available after a stock drop on Amazon or Walmart slightly past the 24 hour mark, which had not been a thing since launch.

26 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

A 3080 is supposed to be around 800USD. The Ti is I think 1-1.2k. 

It’s more complicated now with 12GB versions of the 3080 coming out and with a lot of manufacturers doing fancy cooling blocks, etc. I think the only 3080 that is around 800 MRSP is the most vanilla one from NVIDIA directly.

The Federal Reserve has failed. I started to believe that inflation could never happen again after the easy monetary policy after the Great Recession didn't trigger any. Sure, there may be other factors that are causing what's happening now, but the Federal Reserve is probably most of the problem at this point. They need to tighten a lot quicker, and they need to act now. There is far too much complacency. Other central banks that are experiencing high inflation are also going to need to tighten quicker. 

The Fed is totally gonna raise rates by 100 basis points @rc0101

107000333-1642020514185-abc.jpg?v=164207
WWW.CNBC.COM

The consumer price index for March was expected to increase 8.4% from a year ago, according to Dow Jones estimates.

Prices that consumers pay on everyday items surged in March to their highest levels since the early days of the Reagan administration, according to Labor Department data released Tuesday.

The consumer price index, which measures a wide-ranging basket of goods and services, jumped 8.5% from a year ago on an unadjusted basis, above even the already elevated Dow Jones estimate for 8.4%.

Excluding food and energy, the CPI increased 6.5%, in line with the expectation.

The data reflected price increases not seen in the U.S. since the stagflation days of the late 1970s and early ’80s. March’s headline reading in fact was the highest since December 1981. Core inflation was the hottest since August 1982.

However, core inflation appeared to be ebbing, rising 0.3% for the month, less than the 0.5% estimate.