Station Eleven (HBO Max, December 16) - miniseries based on novel that looks at world before/after devastating flu pandemic

• 1 month later...

I’ve watched the first 4 episodes. It’s a beautiful, very well made show. The timing of it is fascinating- they filmed the first episode in Jan 2020, then it was put on hold for a year. I imagine returning to production on any move/show during the pandemic would be a surreal experience, but this had be especially bizarre.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve watched the first 4 episodes. It’s a beautiful, very well made show. The timing of it is fascinating- they filmed the first episode in Jan 2020, then it was put on hold for a year. I imagine returning to production on any move/show during the pandemic would be a surreal experience, but this had be especially bizarre.

I noticed you avoided the word "good" :thinking:

Watched the first couple of episodes. It's interesting. Not sure I'd say good, but it's definitely not bad. Just a very unique story so far. I kind of keep wanting them to do less Shakespeare and more how the main female character survive the initial days of the pandemic.

I'll keep watching curious where they go with it. 

I'm in danger of overhyping it, but seriously, this is an incredible show.  Performance across the board are great (young Kirsten is maybe one of the best kid performances I've ever seen?), the writing is excellent. With each new episode, the scope of the show grows wider, while simultaneously looking deeper into these characters. It feels like peak Lost, but without the messy "big" questions that are impossible to answer in a satisfactory way. There's a great sense of mystery and tension surrounding everything, but it's always focused on smaller, more personal issues. Nobody is trying to solve the mystery of flu, for example, or discover the origin of the smoke monster (there is no smoke monster, unless they're saving that for the final episode). 

And I can't wait for this final episode. I can guess some of what will happen, but with so many things colliding, it could really go any way. At this point, I have complete trust in this creative team to deliver something satisfying. 

• Thanks 1

I, too, have been watching this show and waiting on that last episode for some time. It's a beautiful story all the way through and told in a way that shows masterful, conceptual writing where the story gets told by experiencing it in a constant sense of exposure to bits and pieces at a time. There are some great actors in the show (some you smile when you see them because they're MUCH BIGGER actors than you would have suspected would be in this series) and some of the unknowns, including the little girl who plays Kirsten as a child (another decent actress plays her as the adult) really blow you away with great performances.

The whole thing gives off vibes of The Walking Dead, Carnival, LOST and the Leftovers but remains solidly its own vehicle.

21 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I squealed when 

Hide contents

David Cross

popped up. Like, he’s not such a big star that I thought “how did they get him?” It was just a fun surprise. 

Yeah, same here. When he first appeared, I was thinking, "that can't be him, right?" And the more he was on screen, the more I realized it was him and was happy.