Update: Tim Epic says that games featuring NFTs won't be banned on EGS because freedom

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:
BViqwpjHTpaejCRNFHyKf9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

President Yosuke Matsuda acknowledges skeptics, but hopes that blockchain tokens can "decentralize" gaming.

Reading shit from game company executives is depressing.  Movie executives still get that they make something that's an intersection of art, entertainment, and revenue generation.  But these soulless husks that run game companies seem to wish they didn't have to bother with anything other than transferring money.  He wants to turn people who "play to contribute" into some goofy form of gig worker from the looks of it and seems to regard people who "play to have fun" (ie most of the people who fucking buy games) as secondary.

• True 1

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:
BViqwpjHTpaejCRNFHyKf9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

President Yosuke Matsuda acknowledges skeptics, but hopes that blockchain tokens can "decentralize" gaming.

And once again, none of that "vision" needs the blockchain. In fact, the blockchain may even be detrimental to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ubisoft-Interview-F.jpg
WWW.FINDER.COM.AU

We talk to Nicolas Pouard, VP at Ubisoft's Strategic Innovations Lab, about the launch of Ubisoft Quartz and the Digits NFTs

I think gamers don't get what a digital secondary market can bring to them. For now, because of the current situation and context of NFTs, gamers really believe it's first destroying the planet, and second just a tool for speculation. But what we [at Ubisoft] are seeing first is the end game. The end game is about giving players the opportunity to resell their items once they're finished with them or they're finished playing the game itself.

So, it's really, for them. It's really beneficial. But they don't get it for now.

Games are always ungrateful confirmed. 

I had to lose a few gig connections recently because all they want are fuckin NFTs lol. I still have no idea why this so appealing to so many people. It's the most obvious scam ever, to the point where it almost feels inaccurate to call it a scam, yet so many are buying into it. It's honestly surprising there's any pushback at all in the games industry considering how many gamers are fucking idjiots with no critical thinking skills who are addicted to collecting for the sake of collecting to get that quick instant gratification dopamine rush.  

43 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

I had to lose a few gig connections recently because all they want are fuckin NFTs lol. I still have no idea why this so appealing to so many people. It's the most obvious scam ever, to the point where it almost feels inaccurate to call it a scam, yet so many are buying into it. It's honestly surprising there's any pushback at all in the games industry considering how many gamers are fucking idjiots with no critical thinking skills who are addicted to collecting for the sake of collecting to get that quick instant gratification dopamine rush.  

That's easy. Everyone thinks there's time to get in on the grift before the floor falls out. For game publishers it makes easy sense. The current grifters are making lofty promises about what NFT can do as far as portability goes. That means the publishers don't have to make any such ridiculous promises, themselves. They can just offer the NFTs up knowing that 99.9% of gamers are hoarders and aren't going to sell off their NFTs. Once a game's servers are cut and those items no longer have value as an ingame item, what why would the publisher care about the after market resale value? Hell, they could crash it by reintroducing some of those "one of a kind" items and maybe even make a few thousand dollars on the way down.

There is no downside because gamers are incapable of saying no once the thing they've railed against in out and in their hands.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's easy. Everyone thinks there's time to get in on the grift before the floor falls out. For game publishers it makes easy sense. The current grifters are making lofty promises about what NFT can do as far as portability goes. That means the publishers don't have to make any such ridiculous promises, themselves. They can just offer the NFTs up knowing that 99.9% of gamers are hoarders and aren't going to sell off their NFTs. Once a game's servers are cut and those items no longer have value as an ingame item, what why would the publisher care about the after market resale value? Hell, they could crash it by reintroducing some of those "one of a kind" items and maybe even make a few thousand dollars on the way down.

There is no downside because gamers are incapable of saying no once the thing they've railed against in out and in their hands.

Of course it's understandable why there's a demand to sell NFTs. It's the consumer demand side of things that's mystifying. Grifts make sense when it seems like there's a benefit for the grifted. Cults often gain followers by promising folks something they need or want, be it sex, power, health, vindication, financial stability, etc. 

Even with other fad collectables in the past, the allure is evident.  Were beanie babies hilariously overpriced? Absolutely, but like pokemon, the well-crafted cuteness factor was there, and you're still obtaining rare, physical collectables you can only get from the company making them. 

Such a widespread demand for NFTs is baffling because there's an obvious, completely arbitrary market value being willed into existence that never needed to happen in the first place.  IE: a fuckton of people are choosing to pay a fuckton of money for imaginary licenses/proof of ownership of JPEGs, instead of opting to live in a world where nobody has to lol.  

23 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Of course it's understandable why there's a demand to sell NFTs. It's the consumer demand side of things that's mystifying. Grifts make sense when it seems like there's a benefit for the grifted. Cults often gain followers by promising folks something they need or want, be it sex, power, health, vindication, financial stability, etc. 

Even with other fad collectables in the past, the allure is evident.  Were beanie babies hilariously overpriced? Absolutely, but like pokemon, the well-crafted cuteness factor was there, and you're still obtaining rare, physical collectables you can only get from the company making them. 

Such a widespread demand for NFTs is baffling because there's an obvious, completely arbitrary market value being willed into existence that never needed to happen in the first place.  IE: a fuckton of people are choosing to pay a fuckton of money for imaginary licenses/proof of ownership of JPEGs, instead of opting to live in a world where nobody has to lol.  

Because the people being pulled in are the same people that fall for MLMs. They don't think they're the grifted, they're the grifters. They bought these NFTs because they saw someone else make bank and believe they can too.

Guys,  please stop frustrating Nicolas Pouard, VP at Ubisoft's Strategic Innovations Lab!

Ubisoft-Interview-F.jpg
WWW.FINDER.COM.AU

We talk to Nicolas Pouard, VP at Ubisoft's Strategic Innovations Lab, about the launch of Ubisoft Quartz and the Digits NFTs

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Ubisoft's VP of "Strategic Innovation" is a "bit frustrated" that we don't "get" NFTs
k8nryWrSq2Be6xJYauWq8k-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The actor best known for his role as Joel in The Last of Us has discontinued his VoiceVerse NFTs.

It seems like every day now that one celebrity or another is announcing an 'exciting' partnership with an NFT business. Whether that's owning a jpeg of a monkey or actively minting a set of tokens, there are a lot of famous people chasing the crypto game, even in the gaming world.

Voice actor Troy Baker, known for his roles as Joel in The Last of Us, Booker in Bioshock Infinite, and Sam in Uncharted 4, recently tweeted he was involving himself in an NFT project. After backlash and "feedback" he has now announced that he will not be taking part after all.

On Twitter the voice actor has announced that he will no longer be a supporter of the VoiceVerseNFT. He tweeted: "Thank you all for your feedback and patience. After careful consideration, I’ve decided to not continue the partnership with VoiceVerseNFT. Intentions aside, I’ve heard you and apologize for accusing anyone of "hating" just by simply disagreeing with me."

LNZLzH4PLEZ5m7nvPGAJcR-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Yanis Varoufakis also discussed "pay-to-earn" and the blockchain's long-term consequences.

"Ten years ago, the metaverse was already up and running within gaming communities. Valve’s games had already spawned economies so large that Valve was both excited and spooked. Some digital assets that had previously been distributed for free (via the game’s drops) began to trade for tens of thousands of dollars on eBay, well before anyone had thought of NFTs.

What if the prices of these spontaneously lucrative items and activities were to crash? That was what kept the people at Valve awake at night."

"Today, a decade later, it is clear that gaming communities like the one I studied at Valve have been operating as fully-fledged metaverses (to use Zuckerberg’s term). Gamers were drawn to them by the game but, once ‘inside’, they stayed to live out a large part of their life, making friends, producing goods for sale, consuming entertainment, debating, etc. Zuckerberg’s ambition is to insert his billions of Facebook non-gamer users into a Steam-like digital social economy – complete with a top-down platform currency that he controls. How can I resist the parallelism with a digital fiefdom in which Zuckerberg dreams of being the techno-lord?"

I enjoyed Varoufakis' refreshing perspective on NFTs and cryptocurrency. He combines an expert's knowledge of their origin and the potential use of blockchain technology with an understandable and bracing contempt for their current function as speculative assets and vectors for fraud and exploitation. I particularly enjoyed his statement later in the interview that "...the idea that people must now play like robots to earn a living so as to be human in their spare time is, indeed, the apotheosis of misanthropy," an absolutely blistering critique of the "pay-to-earn" concept currently being pushed by gaming companies like Square Enix and Ubisoft.

Link to actual interview article:

D-02607.jpg
THE-CRYPTO-SYLLABUS.COM

"Within our present oligarchic, exploitative, irrational, and inhuman world system, the rise of crypto applications will only make our society more oligarchic, more exploitative, more irrational, and more inhuman."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Troy Baker backs out of NFT project, former Valve economist/Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis excoriates the "metaverse" and "pay-to-earn" gaming concept

So... NFTs in games, that's like a unique weapon that no one else has right? 

Well.. isn't it anti competitive if you have a market, say the Assassin's Creed market, and only Ubisoft can make and sell/profit from NFTs? Wouldn't they need to open their source code so anyone can make things in the market and compete? Or do I still not get it???

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

So... NFTs in games, that's like a unique weapon that no one else has right?

It's more like the same weapon everyone else has but has a special number assigned to it that makes it "unique"

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Well.. isn't it anti competitive if you have a market, say the Assassin's Creed market, and only Ubisoft can make and sell/profit from NFTs? Wouldn't they need to open their source code so anyone can make things in the market and compete? Or do I still not get it???

Ubisoft doesn't profit from NFTs, you the user, will profit from the NFTS.

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ubisoft doesn't profit from NFTs, you the user, will profit from the NFTS.

You still buy them from Ubisoft and depending on how shifty Ubi is being, they can make it a "smart contract" where they get paid every time someone sells it.

1 minute ago, legend said:

You still buy them from Ubisoft and depending on how shifty Ubi is being, they can make it a "smart contract" where they get paid every time someone sells it.

Look at the article above they are drops and Ubisoft gave them away for free. Sure if they were being shitty (smart) they would profit off the NFT sales. But I don't think that is the case.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Look at the article above they are drops and Ubisoft gave them away for free. Sure if they were being shitty (smart) they would profit off the NFT sales. But I don't think that is the case.

I don't think the plan was to *only* keep these as drops, even if they are giving away some for now.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

LOL, what an ill informed moron. Destruction of the planet... sure if you mint them on ETH but seriously you can say the same thing about many things that people are just fine with. I don't understand how he thinks it exploits the creators when it empowers them and yes there are scams out there but seriously just don't buy scams. Plenty of good uses for NFT's and a lot of ignorance about them out there.

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

LOL, what an ill informed moron. Destruction of the planet... sure if you mint them on ETH but seriously you can say the same thing about many things that people are just fine with. I don't understand how he thinks it exploits the creators when it empowers them and yes there are scams out there but seriously just don't buy scams. Plenty of good uses for NFT's and a lot of ignorance about them out there.

What are the good uses, in detail (that can't already be done without NFTs).

22 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

What are the good uses, in detail (that can't already be done without NFTs).

For gaming Diablo 2 could have used NFT's for loot so there couldn't be dupes and you could verify your transactions (would have fixed the issue with Diablo 3), I've seen a purse company that are doing qwerty codes they are registering on the block chain to stop counterfeits, concert tickets with a smart contract that have a tax if you sell them to thwart scalpers, albums that every sell has a tax that goes back to the artists. There is an NFT bubble that is going to pop most of it was money laundering and it is good there are laws now stopping that (same was done with art before laws was put in place) however there are still many interesting use cases for them. Also proof of stake blockchains like Algorand that are carbon neutral are becoming hot places to mint NFT's. I know several people in third world countries using play to earn games to put food on the table including several who lost their jobs to the coronavirus pandemic I hate all this disinformation when I see plenty of good things coming out of this. The market will change dump shit like minting NFT's on Etherium will go away (in fact they have partnered with Cardano so you can mint NFT's on their platform and migrate them to reduce processing power ahead of ETH 2.0) and over inflated priced stuff will die.