Facebook is rebranding to Meta

1 minute ago, legend said:

I wonder what Facebook will do next to make me dislike them even more than I do now. 

On the one hand, it’s hard to imagine disliking them more. But on the other hand they have a solid track record of finding new ways to be awful. 

lol right? They took one of my favorite things, got some of the best talent around it, dropped an actual great product, and then had to use it to drive the worst vision of VR I could possibly imagine. Can’t wait to see what their monstrous plans for AR entail! 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol right? They took one of my favorite things, got some of the best talent around it, dropped an actual great product, and then had to use it to drive the worst vision of VR I could possibly imagine. Can’t wait to see what their monstrous plans for AR entail! 

Real life pop up ads, but see, it'll enable local governments to raise money by monetizing public spaces without the need for actual physical structures.

Please watch this 30 second ad before entering this dog park.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's check in on how the Metaverse is going...

3024.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

A new documentary sees a reporter don a VR headset and head into the world that’s supposed to be our future. Within 10 minutes, she had witnessed the most disturbing sights of her life – in a space seven-year-olds can access

:pikachu:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:
XXyqyRHq99sUfr8o3KUo88-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

You're not losing your mind: it really does just sound like a worse version of the internet.

This is pretty on point. I think VR and AR are really cool pieces of tech that have a lot of potential, but the metaverse as envisioned by corporations really do seem like they're actively embracing the dystopian aspect of it where they control everything and use it as a monetary vehicle.

Here are some *problems* we face today with current tech that VR/AR could help solve (and which doesn't require the monolithic shared-by-everyone metaerse). I think it's important to focus on problems rather than assuming the solution "technology x."

• Screens are expensive, sap a lot of energy, and take up space. Very high-resolution AR lets you reclaim space you dedicated to monitors and TVs with an arbitrary number of screens. You would want this synced with other people in the room so you can share the same view.
  • Street view in maps systems is an amazing piece of tech that I have found incredibly useful for planning trips, but it's not perfect because the screen reconstruction removes the perspective. VR helps fix this.
  • GPS instructions being tied screens is bad for driving and takes a lot of cognitive work to remap it to what you're looking at this. Distraction is obviously bad for driving. AR that paints the road highlighting important elements would be far superior. This could be alternatively solved with high quality HUDs in cars, but that's expensive and you can seamlessly transition to walking instructions.
  • Contextual information in busy spaces is hard to deliver. Consider, for example, trying to figure out if the train pulling up is the one you want or not. Or finding instructions for how to use something, or finding the product you're looking for in a packed aisle. Asking workers is slow and they're not always readily available. AR can highlight useful contextual information and instructions.
  • Simulation training is hard. Consider learning to fly for example. MSFS is great, but VR has obvious advantages at improving the situation.
  • Virtual meetings are a bit constrained right now. When there are lots of people, it's hard to break into smaller groups, manage conversations with just people "next" to you, draw on white boards in shared spaces so people can easily shift their focus from other people to what's on the board, etc. VR and/or AR helps with this too.

But what does meta focus on? A shitty version of the last point, and this garbage:

Spoiler

760b74a3-7156-4dbe-90bd-b021327b6c49.jpe

02zuckerberg-aesthetic1-superJumbo.jpg

• Halal 2

On 11/13/2022 at 9:41 AM, legend said:

This is pretty on point. I think VR and AR are really cool pieces of tech that have a lot of potential, but the metaverse as envisioned by corporations really do seem like they're actively embracing the dystopian aspect of it where they control everything and use it as a monetary vehicle.

Here are some *problems* we face today with current tech that VR/AR could help solve (and which doesn't require the monolithic shared-by-everyone metaerse). I think it's important to focus on problems rather than assuming the solution "technology x."

• Screens are expensive, sap a lot of energy, and take up space. Very high-resolution AR lets you reclaim space you dedicated to monitors and TVs with an arbitrary number of screens. You would want this synced with other people in the room so you can share the same view.
  • Street view in maps systems is an amazing piece of tech that I have found incredibly useful for planning trips, but it's not perfect because the screen reconstruction removes the perspective. VR helps fix this.
  • GPS instructions being tied screens is bad for driving and takes a lot of cognitive work to remap it to what you're looking at this. Distraction is obviously bad for driving. AR that paints the road highlighting important elements would be far superior. This could be alternatively solved with high quality HUDs in cars, but that's expensive and you can seamlessly transition to walking instructions.
  • Contextual information in busy spaces is hard to deliver. Consider, for example, trying to figure out if the train pulling up is the one you want or not. Or finding instructions for how to use something, or finding the product you're looking for in a packed aisle. Asking workers is slow and they're not always readily available. AR can highlight useful contextual information and instructions.
  • Simulation training is hard. Consider learning to fly for example. MSFS is great, but VR has obvious advantages at improving the situation.
  • Virtual meetings are a bit constrained right now. When there are lots of people, it's hard to break into smaller groups, manage conversations with just people "next" to you, draw on white boards in shared spaces so people can easily shift their focus from other people to what's on the board, etc. VR and/or AR helps with this too.

But what does meta focus on? A shitty version of the last point, and this garbage:

Reveal hidden contents

760b74a3-7156-4dbe-90bd-b021327b6c49.jpe

02zuckerberg-aesthetic1-superJumbo.jpg

Thank you for putting the nightmare inducing images in spoiler tags

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Fidelity has a Metaverse now very cool!

WWW.FIDELITY.COM

Tour Fidelity in the Metaverse in virtual reality through Decentraland where you can plan fun games and learn more about Fidelity.

Money laundering 

• True 1