Facebook is rebranding to Meta

Facebook is renaming the parent company from Facebook Inc to Meta.

You can read Zuck's post about why he's rebranding it here.

06_211025_CompanyEC_16x9__30fps__1080_1.

While this move is slightly similar to Google's creation of Alphabet, it's being done for very different reasons. Google underwent a significant restructuring under Alphabet, and Alphabet itself is not a brand that gets used outside a corporate context. By contrast, Facebook is not restructuring at all, but it does want the new name to be used and recognized. To that end, the Oculus Quest is being renamed to the Meta Quest as the company phases out all Oculus branding.

The Verge has lengthy rundown on the Metaverse for everyone unfamiliar with the term.

From the Quest article:

“As we’ve heard feedback from the VR community more broadly, we’re working on new ways to log into Quest that won’t require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally,” Bosworth’s post notes.

I'd definitely be interested in a Quest when/if that happens. As noted in the comments seems dumb to ditch the brand equity on Oculus though.

This is starting to feel like season 2/3 of Young Justice. Creating VR helmets to test for the Meta gene. So Zuck is either the leader or has now joined part of The Light 

In seriousness I would dump my account in a heartbeat. I got one because everyone else did, only used twice for posting and now only have it for my Oculus Quest gaming

_121254042_23f55903-76c2-4a52-b96e-5c473
WWW.BBC.COM

The social media giant joins a number of companies that have fallen foul of translation blunders.

Facebook's announcement that it is changing its name to Meta has caused quite the stir in Israel where the word sounds like that for "dead".

To be precise, Meta is pronounced like the feminine form of the Hebrew word.

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Jason said:

I cannot stress how shitty Facebook's VR events are. It's all based around shitty avatars in a shitty 3D environment with shitty communication options. Facebook drops all this money to air a big concert in VR and the big concert is nothing but YouTube playing in the world's most shit virtual movie theater.

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I cannot stress how shitty Facebook's VR events are. It's all based around shitty avatars in a shitty 3D environment with shitty communication options. Facebook drops all this money to air a big concert in VR and the big concert is nothing but YouTube playing in the world's most shit virtual movie theater.

That's cause VR is stupid

59 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

That's cause VR is stupid

Hey, I REALLY like VR games. Super Hot in VR I'd one of the best gaming experiences to be had anywhere. Beat Saber it's an absolute joy in VR.

I slightly stereoblind, so Mario 64 is about as 3D as the real world is. That does make driving terrifying, especially at high speeds. Oddly enough, the 3DS actually looks more 3D to me than even the real world. That being said, VR isn't really that 3D to me. However, that doesn't diminish the immersive fun of like Beat Saber or Alyx. These games are great and they wouldn't have been as good without the VR.

There are some really good VR games.  Pistol Whip, Bridge Crew, Beat Saber, I kind of liked Moss in VR.  But I've never had the drive to be in it for more than little pick up and play games.  It's silly to assume that companies are going to buy millions of these things to hand out to employees so they can have a meeting where shitty avatars have a meeting at a table on a mountain house or whatever instead of a window in Zoom or Teams.