Existential dread club

Rachel

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really don't see the point in "existential dread" as we all already know that ourselves and everyone/everything that we care about is finite. 

Because of this knowledge, what is there to actually dread?

I cannot comprehend the concept of nothing and the true lack of concisions. It is the lack of existence. Even our own universe couldn't not exist. It fucks me up. It is why no matter what happens in my life I could never and will bring myself to end it. I don't believe in god. Atheist all the way. But I just hope there is something, anything, rather than the literal nothing that I believe awaits me. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I cannot comprehend the concept of nothing and the true lack of concisions. It is the lack of existence. Even our own universe couldn't not exist. It fucks me up. It is why no matter what happens in my life I could never and will bring myself to end it. I don't believe in god. Atheist all the way. But I just hope there is something, anything, rather than the literal nothing that I believe awaits me. 

That's so very odd and interesting to me because my reaction to the concept of non-existence and lack of consciousness is genuinely to shrug and say, "C'est la vie."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's so very odd and interesting to me because my reaction to the concept of non-existence and lack of consciousness is genuinely to shrug and say, "C'est la vie."

I truly want to live forever. It is one of those things where people say I wouldn't want to because they always have some bullshit monkey's paw reasoning as to why dying is just better.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Sounds nice. Existential dread and anxiety is truly horrifying at times. 

25 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I’m atheist as well, but both options of an afterlife or no afterlife terrify me equally lol. Eternal life and eternal consciousness? Freaky. Finite life and finite consciousness? Also freaky. 

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

I’m atheist as well, but both options of an afterlife or no afterlife terrify me equally lol. Eternal life and eternal consciousness? Freaky. Finite life and finite consciousness? Also freaky. 

Might I suggest looking into the philosophical school of "stoicism" to try to overcome this?

27 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Eternal life and eternal consciousness? Freaky.

Maybe it is but it is the freaky we know. Doesn't matter if we know nothing awaits us in death. We know what life is, but it is impossible to know what nothing is. 

Life feels pointless most of the time, but it has to be better than the empty void that waits for us after death, so I guess we keep trying to live for as long as possible? Is the only point of life to avoid death? 

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really don't see the point in "existential dread" as we all already know that ourselves and everyone/everything that we care about is finite. 

Because of this knowledge, what is there to actually dread?

I feel the same way. When I was younger I felt anxiety and panic worrying about what happens after I die. I was raised catholic so believing in a heaven brought up a lot of questions. What would I look like in heaven? Would I look like a kid me or an old man me? Does heaven have enough room for everyone that has died in the history of earth. Once I got more comfortable with atheism I let go of religion and the dread of what happens after death. The earth has been around for a billions years but I can't remember what it was like before I was born so more than likely I won't remember anything after I pass. So now I just enjoy the present and make the most of it. No need to waste time worrying about existential dread. I didn't ask to be born but yet here I am. So :shrug:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I feel similar that my highs and lows are a relatively tight range, so I don’t tend to fall into the existential dread camp

emotionally stable AND rich?

Let’s trade lives please

There are so very many things for us to be worried about -- both within our control and outside of our control -- within the context of our mundane, finite existence that why compound that with concerns/worries/fears about matters that are infinitely outside of our control?

I genuinely, honestly don't understand it at all.

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There are so very many things for us to be worried about -- both within our control and outside of our control -- within the context of our mundane, finite existence that why compound that with concerns/worries/fears about matters that are infinitely outside of our control?

I genuinely, honestly don't understand it at all.

The same could be said about any type of anxiety. Anxiety is not simple or logical. I’m happy for you that you don’t understand because it’s truly awful. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The def star said:

Are there Playstations and Xboxes in the afterlife? I don't know if it's worth existing forever if I don't have my gaming? Will the afterlife get the next next gen consoles when they come out?

All you do is kneel before a diety for all time 

• Upvote 1