Update: "The Facebook Papers" - American media outlets are publishing articles based on leaked internal documents

Facebook really doesn't have anything in the way of document protection. This seems apparent with the last leak, but this one makes is completely obvious. I don't get it. I've worked at companies with employee counts in the low hundreds that had better file control than Facebook. At this point, I'm convinced the file server I run in my own house has better file control than Facebook.

9 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Facebook really doesn't have anything in the way of document protection. This seems apparent with the last leak, but this one makes is completely obvious. I don't get it. I've worked at companies with employee counts in the low hundreds that had better file control than Facebook. At this point, I'm convinced the file server I run in my own house has better file control than Facebook.

Umm. No they do, they even can know what everybody has touched or looked at. The problem is a lot of stuff that normally should be very restricted in any other company is left accessible. Like when I did contract work for them I was able to join the (internal) workplace group that had all the sales data for Devices & VR before it was later restricted and even after they restricted the group they never kicked me out of it. So I was able to see and know how well Quest was doing while I worked with them.

So the issue is more that facebook's internal philosophy of leaving things accessible for their workers, to be more efficient. will bite them in the ass.

16 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Umm. No they do, they even can know what everybody has touched or looked at. The problem is a lot of stuff that normally should be very restricted in any other company is left accessible. Like when I did contract work for them I was able to join the (internal) workplace group that had all the sales data for Devices & VR before it was later restricted and even after they restricted the group they never kicked me out of it. So I was able to see and know how well Quest was doing while I worked with them.

So the issue is more that facebook's internal philosophy of leaving things accessible for their workers, to be more efficient. will bite them in the ass.

Eh, what's the point of keeping track of this stuff if they aren't actually doing anything to restrict access the moment some rando is downloading gigs of data off a drive they probably shouldn't have access to? Security systems are pointless if it you can't act on any of the data you have and can only use it for forensic purposes. "Cool, we know who took all this data. Would have been really cool to know this before they got to the press." Like, how does that even work for a publicly traded company?

Systems I've set up track user access, but also lock accounts if it appears they're downloading more data than the account normally would access on any other given day. Does that mean I've locked a C-level execs account in the past? Sure, but that's just basic enterprise security in 2021.

23 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Eh, what's the point of keeping track of this stuff if they aren't actually doing anything to restrict access the moment some rando is downloading gigs of data off a drive they probably shouldn't have access to?

1. They routinely fire employees for accessing data they should not be

2. The whistleblower wasn't just some rando, she was a PM.

3. Other than the code mono repo, files a FB aren't stored like any normal company and there just isn't some random drive/network folder they got a hold of. Internally you're required to use workplace and everything you do on a project level is required to be posted in your teams group. So it's not structured like how you typically think this is. Because of the nature of how FB is internally, normally information you think shouldn't be easily accessible (like internal research) tends to be available because they don't see the problem.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I wonder how lopsided this new company will be compared to Alphabet. Alphabet's revenue split is wildly ad heavy.

So, what kind of robot crazy, hive minded, nonsense name will this be company get?

This 100% is going to be an Alphabet split to separate the core company from the product FB itself. 

The articles about the leaked internal documents are being published now:

acastro_211024_4823_0001.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

How Facebook’s content moderation became so unequal.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — As the Gaza war raged and tensions surged across the Middle East last May, Instagram briefly banned the hashtag #AlAqsa, a reference to the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem’s Old City, a flash point in the conflict.

JQKM6HDJ2VFXRCZC6TBTAOQXEY.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The SEC has been asked to probe whether Mark Zuckerberg's ironclad management style, described in newly released documents and by insiders, led to disastrous outcomes.

00facebook-04-facebookJumbo.png
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Likes and shares made the social media site what it is. Now, company documents show, it’s struggling to deal with their effects.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

The Facebook Papers represents a unique collaboration between 17 American news organizations, including The Associated Press. Journalists from a variety of newsrooms, large and small, worked together to gain access to thousands of pages of internal company documents obtained by Frances Haugen, the former Facebook product manager-turned-whistleblower.

211022095403-07-facebook-papers-super-te
EDITION.CNN.COM

CNN will publish a series of articles based on more than ten thousand pages of leaked internal Facebook documents. Follow here for the latest.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Two years ago, Apple threatened to pull Facebook and Instagram from its app store over concerns about the platform being used as a tool to trade and sell maids in the Mideast.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Facebook the company is losing control of Facebook the product — not to mention the last shreds of its carefully crafted, decade-old image as a benevolent company just wanting to connect the world.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

NEW DELHI, India (AP) — Facebook in India has been selective in curbing hate speech, misinformation and inflammatory posts, particularly anti-Muslim content, according to leaked documents obtained by The Associated Press, even as its own employees cast doubt over the company’s motivations and interests.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

The Facebook Papers project represents a unique collaboration among 17 American news organizations, including The Associated Press. Journalists from a variety of newsrooms, large and small, worked together to gain access to thousands of pages of internal company documents obtained by Frances Haugen, the former Facebook product manager-turned-whistleblower.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: "The Facebook Papers" - American media outlets are publishing articles based on leaked internal documents
43 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I know it’s small potatoes in the grand scheme of all this, but it would have been wild if Apple pulled Facebook apps from the store.

Facebook gets away with a lot of what would cause other apps to get pulled from app stores. The English speaking Facebook might be crazy, but non-English Facebook is a while other level of crazy. I'm not just referring to disinformation. There's just straight violence, open hatred, straight racism, and more. Facebook seemingly barely moderates anything that isn't in English. There is nothing on apps Apple has banned, like Gab or Parler or Infowars, that isn't also on Facebook, but with a FAR larger audience.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Facebook gets away with a lot of what would cause other apps to get pulled from app stores. The English speaking Facebook might be crazy, but non-English Facebook is a while other level of crazy. I'm not just referring to disinformation. There's just straight violence, open hatred, straight racism, and more. Facebook seemingly barely moderates anything that isn't in English. There is nothing on apps Apple has banned, like Gab or Parler or Infowars, that isn't also on Facebook, but with a FAR larger audience.

Yeah, the American English focus on Facebook moderation is really inexcusable for one of the most valuable companies in the known universe. They simply… don’t care at all.

4556.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Papers reveal struggle to tackle hate speech and reluctance to censor rightwing US news organisations

Facebook has admitted core parts of its platform appear hardwired for spreading misinformation and divisive content, according to a fresh wave of internal documents that showed the social media company struggled to contain hate speech in the developing world and was reluctant to censor rightwing US news organisations.

An internal memo warned Facebook’s “core product mechanics”, or its basic workings, had let hate speech and misinformation grow on the platform. The memo added that the basic functions of Facebook were “not neutral”.

“We also have compelling evidence that our core product mechanics, such as vitality, recommendations, and optimizing for engagement, are a significant part of why these types of speech flourish on the platform,” said the 2019 memo.

Referring to Facebook’s safety unit, the document added: “If integrity takes a hands-off stance for these problems, whether for technical (precision) or philosophical reasons, then the net result is that Facebook, taken as a whole, will be actively (if not necessarily consciously) promoting these types of activities. The mechanics of our platform are not neutral.”

9 minutes ago, osxmatt said:
acastro_211024_4821_0001.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Facebook is in crisis mode over losing young people on its main app and Instagram, according to leaked documents.

I got into a heated argument with my own mother about this a couple of weeks ago when I told her that Facebook had pretty much been taken over by the over 40 crowd. I would say over 50 really.

A lot of Facebook's woes are related to their absolute refusal to ban the bad actors on their platform. They know who the Nazis are, they know who the people calling for genocide are, they know where the racist cops that share videos of themselves beating up minorities are, they know where the folks planning 1/6 are and they knew they what they were planning ahead of time. Twitter will ban people only when it becomes an issue in the press. Zuck knows that they can ignore the bad press because it doesn't hang around long enough to hurt their bottom line.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

A lot of Facebook's woes are related to their absolute refusal to ban the bad actors on their platform. They know who the Nazis are, they know who the people calling for genocide are, they know where the racist cops that share videos of themselves beating up minorities are, they know where the folks planning 1/6 are and they knew they what they were planning ahead of time. Twitter will ban people only when it becomes an issue in the press. Zuck knows that they can ignore the bad press because it doesn't hang around long enough to hurt their bottom line.

I forget the twitter thread I saw about this topic, it was related to tabletop gaming spaces online. Like all of us, they’re dealing with bad faith actors, white supremacy, anti LGBT shit, racism, etc. The thread was basically… if your space is “unmoderated,” it actually IS moderated, but by the most engaged and worst faith actors on your site / platform / space / community. It may not be officially moderated with bans, but the behavioral standards and tone on the site becomes de facto moderation.

This happens on smaller spaces and in smaller communities all the time, and it’s tragic that it’s basically what has happened to Facebook and Twitter as well. They have the technology and finances to do something about this, they simply choose not to in the interest of engagement.