At this point, do you feel like the vaccine was the 'be all, end all' like they made it seem at the start of this?

Derek

The number of 'break through' cases seems to be skyrocketing. They've already said the vaccine isn't as effective for folks over 65 or against the beta, gamma or delta variants and it loses half of its effectiveness after 5 or 6 months. Also, the vaccinated can still spread it.

In Michigan, at least, they were/are pushing this thing very hard. After they got the initial 50% or so vaccinated, they started offering a lottery and other incentives. That got a few more. Now they're going for a gaslighting approach. Whitmer more or less called the unvaccinated selfish because they're causing the virus to mutate, putting the vaccinated at risk.

Not trying to make it political, but I am disappointed how the vaccine went from savior status to being somewhat helpful for a few months. 

R.I.P. Mr. Powell

4 minutes ago, Derek said:

The number of 'break through' cases seems to be skyrocketing. They've already said the vaccine isn't as effective for folks over 65 or against the beta, gamma or delta variants and it loses half of its effectiveness after 5 or 6 months. Also, the vaccinated can still spread it.

In Michigan, at least, they were/are pushing this thing very hard. After they got the initial 50% or so vaccinated, they started offering a lottery and other incentives. That got a few more. Now they're going for a gaslighting approach. Whitmer more or less called the unvaccinated selfish because they're causing the virus to mutate, putting the vaccinated at risk.

Not trying to make it political, but I am disappointed how the vaccine went from savior status to being somewhat helpful for a few months. 

R.I.P. Mr. Powell

59287377_6.jpg
WWW.DW.COM

Some people are getting sick with COVID-19, despite being fully vaccinated. Do these breakthrough infections mean the vaccines aren't working?

Powell was an 84 year-old man who was undergoing treatment for lung cancer which means that his immune system was already significantly compromised.  His death from a "breakthrough case" is definitely not an outlier.

17 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I feel like COVID was a drill or test on humanity and we very much failed.

Somewhere in the jungles of Asia, Latin America, or Africa, there's a zoonotic disease residing in the gullet of an animal that will make SARS-CoV-2 look like the common cold in comparison.  And as climate change pushes human populations closer to that animal's habitat, it's only a matter of time before it makes the species jump.

• True 1

No. I blame the cunts who didn't get vaxxed. I don't care if I am spreading it around and adults who have made the choice of not getting vaxxed suffer. The vaccine was never this superhero vaccine. It had always been pushed to get as many people vaccinated as possible and that failed. The people failed. So fuck the people. 

There is a part of me the hopes the unvaccinated keel over sooner rather than later so percentage of vaccinated individuals goes up. 

2 hours ago, Derek said:

Whitmer more or less called the unvaccinated selfish

They are. Fuck'em. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

and when it comes to catching Covid, being vaxxed changed nothing for you 

Didn't know vaccines could time travel. Crazy how Wade lets people more stupid than me post. And yes, Biggie, I mean you. I'd ban you if I could. Until you showed proof of being vaccinated. 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Didn't know vaccines could time travel. Crazy how Wade lets people more stupid than me post. And yes, Biggie, I mean you. I'd ban you if I could. Until you showed proof of being vaccinated. 

I mean he lets you post and you wanna have sex with my dead Mothers corpse. 

47 minutes ago, Biggie said:

and when it comes to catching Covid, being vaxxed changed nothing for you 

It remains in an individuals interest to get vaccinated. But everyone would have been much better off if everyone who could get vaccinated did as soon as they could.

I would have needed to get my first shot in October of 2020 to not catch covid. I don't even think the vaccine was out at the time. At the very least a 27 year old with out pre existing conditions couldn't get one. My first shot was in March 2021 and I started feeling the first symptoms of covid on December 4, 2020. 

The vaccine program as a whole is an incredible human achievement that effectively turns Covid into a cold for the vast majority of the population. So, yeah, it still amazes me.

Being 84 with cancer and Parkinson's makes you most susceptible to death. 

"Breakthrough" cases aren't "skyrocketing." The fact is if a country is 0% vaccinated, there are no breakthroughs. If it's 50%, you'll have a higher number that are breakthrough. If it's 70%, probably a higher number but at this point, you're getting to herd immunity. 

You really should read the subreddit HermanCainAward to see how horrific non-breakthrough deaths are to normal 30/40 year olds.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Somewhere in the jungles of Asia, Latin America, or Africa, there's a zoonotic disease residing in the gullet of an animal that will make SARS-CoV-2 look like the common cold in comparison.  And as climate change pushes human populations closer to that animal's habitat, it's only a matter of time before it makes the species jump.

I mean, ebola exists, and iirc it has multiple origins. We're just lucky that the fatality rate of ebola is so high that it doesn't spread very far.

Now I'm thinking about a slightly less lethal strain of ebola that eventually spreads over the whole world.

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Homer Simpson End GIF - Homer Simpson End Near - Discover & Share GIFs

In regard to the question in the thread title, no, I don't think this was the fix we all hoped for. I'm in no way mad by the results of what the shot achieved, especially being developed and deployed so quickly. But I can put myself in other people's shoes and understand the hesitancy. The term "vaccine" in my head growing up meant you got a few shots and you didn't get the illness that it protected against. The Covid vaccine was definitely presented as "get this shot and we can all get back to normal". Did they know the efficacy would wane after a few months? That info definitely wasn't out there at the start. I mean I understand if they didn't know. This shit is all new.  But now it gives that whole other crowd of people the ammo they need to feel like they don't need the shot, "since it doesn't work".  Then you have the whole crowd of people who have had Covid and are unsure if they should still get the vaccine. The CDC says yes, but within a minute or two of googling I end up here:

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/covid-19-vaccine-after-having-covid-19

COVID-19 vaccination may not be needed after a moderate or severe COVID-19 infection

"If you’ve had a moderate or severe case of COVID-19 and are not vaccinated for COVID-19, current data tells us that you may have strong and durable enough immunity to protect you from reinfection without getting a COVID-19 vaccine." 

Another thing I've heard is maybe people would only need one Covid shot if they've just recovered from Covid. The natural immunity mixed with the shot immunity could be better protection. 

Just too many uncertainties for the millions of stubborn people out there.  

I got my 2nd shot in July. I'm not sure if I'm going to rush out and get a booster in a few months. Things might be more different than anyways. Just taking it one month at a time. 

I think the shot is incredible given the speed with which it was developed and distributed. I also think social media continues to run rough shod over the objective data and is filled with agendas and emotional arguments that just support the evidence. The Vaccine works in nearly all of people that take it with very low numbers of break through cases and extremely low numbers of long term dangerous side effects. Now if people would just take the damn thing we might significantly slow the roll of this viral family's ability to create new versions of itself. I personally want my family to be safe, but I was happy to do my small bit for the larger human community as well. Its interesting to see the most ardent flag wavers in our society suddenly loss their "national spirit" when they have to get a shot that will help said nation. Its also like their "America!" lovefest is a misguided purity test and not a sign of national love... almost.  

• True 1

15 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Vaccines took away all the anxiety I used to have when my mom would come over to hangout. I appreciate that I will have a normal thanksgiving even though I enjoyed quarantine thanksgiving very much. 

It’s a false sense of security. 

Wah wahhhhhhh my chances of getting a horrible disease were only drastically lowered for a long stretch of time after I sacrificed a few hours of my incredibly valuable time I would've spent verbally abusing 12 year olds in FartCraft XIII online. To think I had to go to a place, sit at a place, possibly wait for a bit while bitching on reddit about it all on my incredibly expensive palm-computer and then shuffle my sweatpants-clad self back home without actually doing anything myself...the humanity. Man, fuck scientists, the vaccine and especially health care professionals, they don't know shit because guess what? I did my own research on Facebook and my 68 year old ex-cop uncle read on Pfiklon-B.com that something something....Imma die to own the Libz and take my four children with me HELL YEAH. START MY GOFUNDME NOW YA'LL 

:megaton:  <--- this is what we deserve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • True 1

18 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

In regard to the question in the thread title, no, I don't think this was the fix we all hoped for. I'm in no way mad by the results of what the shot achieved, especially being developed and deployed so quickly. But I can put myself in other people's shoes and understand the hesitancy. The term "vaccine" in my head growing up meant you got a few shots and you didn't get the illness that it protected against. The Covid vaccine was definitely presented as "get this shot and we can all get back to normal". Did they know the efficacy would wane after a few months? That info definitely wasn't out there at the start. I mean I understand if they didn't know. This shit is all new.  But now it gives that whole other crowd of people the ammo they need to feel like they don't need the shot, "since it doesn't work".  Then you have the whole crowd of people who have had Covid and are unsure if they should still get the vaccine. The CDC says yes, but within a minute or two of googling I end up here:

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/covid-19-vaccine-after-having-covid-19

COVID-19 vaccination may not be needed after a moderate or severe COVID-19 infection

"If you’ve had a moderate or severe case of COVID-19 and are not vaccinated for COVID-19, current data tells us that you may have strong and durable enough immunity to protect you from reinfection without getting a COVID-19 vaccine." 

Another thing I've heard is maybe people would only need one Covid shot if they've just recovered from Covid. The natural immunity mixed with the shot immunity could be better protection. 

Just too many uncertainties for the millions of stubborn people out there.  

I got my 2nd shot in July. I'm not sure if I'm going to rush out and get a booster in a few months. Things might be more different than anyways. Just taking it one month at a time. 

I don't think that was the message anyone meant to convey. The message that was meant to be conveyed is if public adoption was aggressive and happened before resistant variants took hold, we could make it a thing of the past much like we have with so many other viruses. But that didn't happen, and the fear many of us had about that resulting in an incubator for more difficult variants to spread is exactly what happened.

If you thought vaccines ought to mean you're almost surely safe from a virus regardless of what the rest of the public does, and that this vaccine in particular was unusually ineffective I think you have some misconceptions about vaccines in general, not just this vaccine.

First, no vaccine is 100% effective and you should never think that just because you got a vaccine that you'll be totally immune from any infection regardless of who and how many people you interact with. If you compare to times in the past when the majority of the public gets vaccinated that might look like it makes you 100% immune only because of the compounding effect of everyone being more resistant. This is one reason why getting adoption from the whole public was so critical. The extra silver lining worth mentioning is that you are, at least, much less likely to have very dangerous symptoms if you are vaccinated and get a breakthrough infection.

Second, vaccines are not able to handle all possible variations of a virus, so you often need to hit the virus hard and fast with vaccine adoption to prevent resistant variants from evolving and becoming dominant. Letting a virus evolve in subpopulations is a very concerning event. You may notice that people who get "the flu shot" vaccine still can get the flu. That's because the common flu has so many variants and evolves so quickly that the medical community has to forecast and guess what they think will be the dominant evolving flu strain in advance and give people a flu shot for that specifically. But often times they guess wrong and people get infected by something else. And of course I don't think flu-shot vaccine adoption is as high as we would like, at which point see point 1.

The bottom line is medicine has *no* silver bullets for viruses that can save you independent of any public behavior. Our success at stopping a virus in its tracks can only be achieved by coordinated public effort. And that is precisely why you should be very worried: the US is filled with misinformation and people playing political games with medical health. Science can provide the road to success, but the public has to be the one to walk it.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

To me, I think some people are just stupid (as this thread shows in some cases). There are a few common reasons I see people oppose getting the vaccine that I will point out as being incredibly stupid:

• It doesn't work perfectly
    • Yeah neither does chemo, or lung transplants, or advil. But they all work well, as do the vaccines
  • They said I only needed two shots, but now I might need more. I refuse
    • Because you are stupid. If getting two shots was fine, what is wrong with getting three or four (or even once a year for the rest of your life?). This attitude shows to me that you are a privileged asshole who has never had to take anything more than an advil in their life, or real with real, sustained hardship. Sometimes you have to do things forever until you die. That's the human condition

50 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

They can't even sequence the genome of "covid" because it doesn't exist.

This was done and published for the first time in a January of 2020 in the journal Nature

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

It's poison it doesn't work, 99% of the people who don't want it are not anti-vax they're anti-mandate (I for one have had all of my shots up until now, I will however never take this one or any future one for anything not even related to covid my trust in the government alone with many others is gone) the government has no control over what I put in my body. Vaccines don't require other people to have the vaccine (it's never needed that, it's funny how before for example having the chicken pox meant you didn't need a vaccine because you already had it, aka natural immunity which is ALWAYS stronger at preventing re-infection but not with "covid"), because you know natural immunity but they don't want to talk about that because there are no profits to be made or passports to be had with natural immunity. It's strange the cdc literally re-worded what vaccine meant and what heard immunity means on their website, it's a fucking scam and you sheep are too committed to even notice or care, it's sad. They can't even sequence the genome of "covid" because it doesn't exist.

laugh and i cannot stress this enough my ass off

• True 2

On 10/18/2021 at 10:41 AM, Derek said:

R.I.P. Mr. Powell

The vaccines are incredible, saving tens of thousands of lives in this country. The breakthrough cases are significantly milder, and its an easy trap to fall into to think, wait I can still get it so what's the point? Well, you (especially if you have other risk factors) very well may have died if you haven't had the shot. 

And none of that is to mention the fact that the vaccines have significantly reduced the burden on the medical community (though that burden is still high due directly to fucks not getting vaccinated), which increases burnout, fatigue, human error, the list goes on, which can cause deaths from unrelated issues. 

The vaccines have been such a help, I am on the front lines of this daily working in an acute care setting. There's reason to believe they could have stopped that second wave to a large degree if we didn't have such hesitancy in this country, but there was little chance of enough people getting them due to the misinformation out there. 

• Thanks 1