Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack OT

Pikachu

In case anyone has the Genesis collection already and was wondering, right now you gain:

Ecco (I don’t want to bother booting it up, but that’s weird, it wasn’t included?)

Castlevania Bloodlibes

Contra Hard Corps

Strider

Musha

Which to be fair are four classics and Musha isnt bad. I love me some Genesis Strider.

They should have had more out of collection or at least put on 3&Knuckles.

This whole thing feels so weird. It such a random collection of shit for $30.

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Im playing a few of them, what issues does it cause? 

I played Zelda last night and some button choices are questionable.  Why not make the yellow buttons the d pad??? The game tells you to press a button that doesn’t exists so it can be confusing but whateves.  Maybe I’ll get the controller down the line.  I also realized that Mario kart will absolutely destroy my cheap joycons when going for those eeee turns

I have the buyer's remorse. Despite barely touching the original online features/games, I purchased this. Scrolled through the N64 titles and quickly remembered that Nintendo 64 didn't have a ton of must-play games that held up very well. (Or that couldn't be played elsewhere). I tried Sin and Punishment for like 45 seconds. I didn't even check out the Sega Genesis. I thought I did, but accidentally clicked on the 'Sega Genesis Collection' instead. 

It's disappointing. I wish they would've just opened up the libraries of both systems, instead of the 2 or 3 games a month, like they'll probably do. It's only 50, already paid, so I'll just see what happens this year and then may cancel the entire thing.

Nintendo re-releases their stuff so often it's almost bizarre to me that this isn't a core competency of the company at this point. They should have the best emulators on the planet, with a significant team dedicated to keeping their catalog in the best possible condition on every console they release. It should just be a given that if you are willing to pay for it, that Nintendo will happily provide you with the best possible experience on all their most popular legacy titles. Then have another team who does more significant remasters periodically to modernize select titles for a premium, and they'd make an (even greater) killing from all those nostalgia purchases.

Of course, there's nothing pushing them to do any of that. They can put out half-hearted ports year after year, charge far too much for them, and people (including myself on more than one occasion) will continue to pay them.

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Nintendo re-releases their stuff so often it's almost bizarre to me that this isn't a core competency of the company at this point. They should have the best emulators on the planet, with a significant team dedicated to keeping their catalog in the best possible condition on every console they release. It should just be a given that if you are willing to pay for it, that Nintendo will happily provide you with the best possible experience on all their most popular legacy titles. Then have another team who does more significant remasters periodically to modernize select titles for a premium, and they'd make an (even greater) killing from all those nostalgia purchases.

Money Luxury GIF by The Sultan

Those things cost money and it's a lot cheaper to not do any work and people will pay for it anyway.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:04 PM, Xbob42 said:

I'd rather just emulate the 3DS on my PC so I don't have to hold a piece of flat cardboard as a controller. So sick of handheld makers and their flat BS.

You know they have controller handles you can just clip on to the 3DS (and Vita, if you have one of those)? They're super cheap. 

I know, I know. Emulating on a PC is way cooler, man. I get it. Just saying there are options.

14 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

You know they have controller handles you can just clip on to the 3DS (and Vita, if you have one of those)? They're super cheap. 

I know, I know. Emulating on a PC is way cooler, man. I get it. Just saying there are options.

Yeah I'm not buying butt implants for my 3DS.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Of course, there's nothing pushing them to do any of that. They can put out half-hearted ports year after year, charge far too much for them, and people (including myself on more than one occasion) will continue to pay them.

This weeks bombcast out a good argument forward for this. Nintendo, being a very particular company, with a focus on creating interesting/progressive games in their various series, literally don’t give a shit about their back catalogue as it’s retreading old ground and doesn’t buy into the company ethos.

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

This weeks bombcast out a good argument forward for this. Nintendo, being a very particular company, with a focus on creating interesting/progressive games in their various series, literally don’t give a shit about their back catalogue as it’s retreading old ground and doesn’t buy into the company ethos.

Eh, I dunno about that. If they really didn't care about their back catalogue, they wouldn't keep re-releasing their old games over and over. Selling their old games makes them easy money. Keep in mind they keep game code for games even from third-parties. For example, the Mana Collection is exclusive to Switch since Nintendo was the only ones that still had the original code for Final Fantasy Adventure. Square didn't even have it. 

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

The way that Nintendo treats their back catalogue, I get the impression they think of it almost like royalties on a hit song: an ongoing revenue source they're due because they made something great a long time ago. I agree that there must be some part of the company culture that prevents them from spending too much effort on their old games, despite how much they make from them.

They clearly care about their old games, at least to the extent that they're willing to re-release things with such frequency. I couldn't quickly pull up a list, but for a long time Super Mario Bros had been re-released/ported/etc an average of almost once a year since its release in 1985. That doesn't happen on accident. Still, it's clear that they never seem to put much effort into those releases and it's always seemed odd to me.

8 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Then they should stop trying to resell their old shit for too high of a price literally every generation. Both digitally and physically.

Amazon.com: Nintendo Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. - Not Machine Specific  : Video Games

6469083_sd.jpg

9 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

It's not that Nintendo doesn't give a shit about their old games. It's the opposite. It's that the people that made those old games still work at Nintendo and they're happy with those old games and see no need to make any changes to them, aside from maybe some bug fixes. The average Nintendo employee has been with the company for some fourteen years. Mario 64 is as nearly as valuable to them today as it was in 1996 because all the people in charge of that game still work for Nintendo. Miyamoto is still there. Kondo is still writing music there. Koizumi is still there and still working on Mario. The same goes for Tezuka.

That still applies to even the first Mario Bros. That game was made by Miyamoto and Tezuka with Kondo handling the music. It doesn't really get any different with later games either and the next generation of Nintendo staff. Bowser's Fury was produced by Koizumi with everything else handled by the guys that did Mario Sunshine, two decades earlier.

What’s even worse with the AC DLC in the subscription is once you stop your subscription, you lose access to all content from the DLC. That’s crazy shady. 

We’re just going to buy the DLC outright. 

And the reason for buying the N64 controller? Not included in the library. 

The SEGA lineup seems gimped, too—it doesn’t include all the games from the separate SEGA classics being released as a stand alone purchase. 

13 hours ago, Emblazon said:

What’s even worse with the AC DLC in the subscription is once you stop your subscription, you lose access to all content from the DLC. That’s crazy shady. 

We’re just going to buy the DLC outright. 

And the reason for buying the N64 controller? Not included in the library. 

The SEGA lineup seems gimped, too—it doesn’t include all the games from the separate SEGA classics being released as a stand alone purchase. 

The Animal Crossing DLC is weird. If you cancel your subscription you lose access to the archipelago, but you retain access to anything DLC-related that's on your main island.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:54 PM, GameDadGrant said:

@Xbob42 Someone also made HD texture packs for the OoT 3D (and MM, Link Between Worlds, TP, SS)

Emulators +1

9 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Winback.. the “MGS” equivalent according to the outlets.. it had s dull character, redundant dull music, a solid shooting mechanics though.. I wanted this game to be so much greater than it was

I enjoyed the PS2 version back in the day. I'm not sure if this is the same game or not. It seems to run well at least. Controls kind of suck though.

6 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Winback.. the “MGS” equivalent according to the outlets.. it had s dull character, redundant dull music, a solid shooting mechanics though.. I wanted this game to be so much greater than it was

The N64 equivalent to MGS was actually Goldeneye. Spy/stealth action at its finest. 

13 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

For the few years where I didn’t have a PS1, MGS was the only game I felt envious of.

• 1 month later...