The I Can’t Quit You Thread: Switch 2/4K Rumors

Brian

As we know from the WSJ article about Switch 4K existence, some more rumors have dropped

It’s a long video so here are the bigger points:

- No longer sounds like a Switch Pro but a Switch 2/Switch 4k based on what was learned, it all depends on how the marketing presents the product

- 4k will be achieved through DLSS

- Big publishers/developers got the devkits late 2020 with smaller ones getting them this year

- Dataminers have suggested that the Switch 4k/Succ will have challenges with being natively backwards compatible because of hardware differences, but MVG suggests Nintendo has options to pursue backwards compatibility.

- Devs are working on exclusives, some PS/Xbox ports

- Devs are targeting their games being "done" by late 2022, but a game being done doesn't necessarily mean thats when it releases for various reasons.

- Hears it will release within Holiday 2022 - Early 2023 period, within those 6 months (supply constraints make it hard to know exactly when it is possible, meaning could miss holiday season)

No BC would be a big oomph for me since I have a stupidly large Switch library. I think it will happen but it is Nintendo so who knows. 

With the Deck releasing, I thought I was finally free of Nintendo but nope. I can’t quit ya bud. 

Celebrate Stanley Cup GIF by Capitals

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Call it the Switch U.

Switch Finkle...

Anyhow from what I've heard on the chip shortages this could be much further out and the OLED model was supposed to be the Pro but wasn't because of chip shortages (but they already ordered the screens so that's what we got).

18 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

- Dataminers have suggested that the Switch 4k/Succ will have challenges with being natively backwards compatible because of hardware differences, but MVG suggests Nintendo has options to pursue backwards compatibility.

No BC would be a big oomph for me since I have a stupidly large Switch library. I think it will happen but it is Nintendo so who knows. 

I would be very surprised if it wasn't backwards compatible. I have a poor track record when it comes to guessing what Nintendo will do with hardware, but releasing an update/successor to (what is on track to be) their most successful hardware product ever, only five or six years into its' life cycle without BC would be crazy to me.

Then again, this is Nintendo. If they're moving the switch to a very different architecture and they needed to put some extra hardware in there for BC to work, I can kind of imagine them choosing margins over BC. Then they can re-release all the OG switch games for Switch 2!

44 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I would be very surprised if it wasn't backwards compatible. I have a poor track record when it comes to guessing what Nintendo will do with hardware, but releasing an update/successor to (what is on track to be) their most successful hardware product ever, only five or six years into its' life cycle without BC would be crazy to me.

Then again, this is Nintendo. If they're moving the switch to a very different architecture and they needed to put some extra hardware in there for BC to work, I can kind of imagine them choosing margins over BC. Then they can re-release all the OG switch games for Switch 2!

One of the options discussed in the video to put the old chip on the SOC sort of like what the PS3 did to make it compatible with the PS2. 

I definitely think it will be BC even if it means Nintendo has to cut into their margins a bit to do it. 

• Shocked 1

37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't know why it's unheard of for backwards compatibility for Nintendo consoles. Anything post N64 has had it. @GameDadGrant can back me up on this

Gamecube games were BC with Wii, Wii games were BC with Wii U

GBA games worked on DS, DS games on 3DS, etc

So you get at least one!

This is all true. Digital downloaded games are also BC with Nintendo consoles. Until Switch, anyway.