Update: Cohen pleads guilty to 8 counts including tax fraud, bank fraud, and campaign finance violations

Here's the thing. Everyone wishes that their side would win forever and would be above the law (for the greater good) and that the other side would not. But historically (in modern history), both sides have also realized that the other side wins sometimes, so there is a need to protect the rule of law so that when the other side is more popular you don't go to jail for no reason (or get killed, etc). I think the issue is that right now, people are just really ignorant of history and the reason why things are set up the way they are, and so don't care about this. They want to see the other side destroyed and don't think about the consequences of tearing down norms to do so, as they are oblivious as to how this could affect them in the future (because they are dumb). People have always been dumb, but somehow the leaders of each side knew that this sort of system was needed to protect them. But now, the new leaders don't care because they are willing to harness the anger and stupidity of people to win, regardless of the future consequences.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Here's the thing. Everyone wishes that their side would win forever and would be above the law (for the greater good) and that the other side would not. But historically (in modern history), both sides have also realized that the other side wins sometimes, so there is a need to protect the rule of law so that when the other side is more popular you don't go to jail for no reason (or get killed, etc). I think the issue is that right now, people are just really ignorant of history and the reason why things are set up the way they are, and so don't care about this. They want to see the other side destroyed and don't think about the consequences of tearing down norms to do so, as they are oblivious as to how this could affect them in the future (because they are dumb). People have always been dumb, but somehow the leaders of each side knew that this sort of system was needed to protect them. But now, the new leaders don't care because they are willing to harness the anger and stupidity of people to win, regardless of the future consequences.

And most politicos are so convinced that they have secure, cushy jobs where they can be a demagogue and cruise to re-election, and there are so few legislative positions, so there is no perceived negatives to destroy these norms. I can only imagine it getting worse should Republicans retain the house or Senate, or both!

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If "norms" were actually important or worth obeying/paying attention to, they'd be laws.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

You're right.  The wrong side does do this all the time.

The right side doesn't do this.  They just don't do anything.

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I would argue that this is one of those areas where it's clearly not both sides doing this. Under Obama the democrats had sufficient majorities to push through all sorts of procedural changes that would have made pushing their agenda far easier. They largely didn't. It took relatively minor, and largely self inflicted roadblocks for the GOP to start tearing down norms.

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I would argue that this is one of those areas where it's clearly not both sides doing this. Under Obama the democrats had sufficient majorities to push through all sorts of procedural changes that would have made pushing their agenda far easier. They largely didn't. It took relatively minor, and largely self inflicted roadblocks for the GOP to start tearing down norms.

Plus, we're talking about vastly different degrees of "accepted corruption because it's politics" with each party. They both may do it, as the right constantly loves to project, but not nearly to the same degree and that makes all the difference in the world. No one is perfect, but there's Martin Luther King Jr., the average person, and then Adolf Hitler. That doesn't mean they're all the same, of course, or we all accept or don't accept those individuals equally. I accept MLK much, much more than Hitler, whilst also understanding MLK wasn't anywhere near perfect. 

The false equivalency and whataboutism is just tiring at this point by the right, and they know they're doing it, and they don't care. It's their commitment to trolling and stupidity even though peoples' lives are at stake that truly bothers me (among other things). 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Plus, we're talking about vastly different degrees of "accepted corruption because it's politics" with each party. They both may do it, as the right constantly loves to project, but not nearly to the same degree and that makes all the difference in the world. No one is perfect, but there's Martin Luther King Jr., the average person, and then Adolf Hitler. That doesn't mean they're all the same, of course, or we all accept or don't accept those individuals equally. I accept MLK much, much more than Hitler, whilst also understanding MLK wasn't anywhere near perfect. 

The false equivalency and whataboutism is just tiring at this point by the right, and they know they're doing it, and they don't care. It's their commitment to trolling and stupidity even though peoples' lives are at stake that truly bothers me (among other things). 

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????