Jump to content

Best Buy gets in on that sweet, sweet scalping money.


Jason
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmmmm... I'm already a Best Buy Elite member for spending more than three grand there in a calender year. I might join this, get another PS5, then Scalp it :devil:

I saw some people on twitter saying they signed up and still weren't able to purchase one. I think it highly depends on your area.

 

Unfortunately, locking hot tech behind a paywall seems to be the new fad because A: the company can make more money and B: scalpers don't harvest them as quickly.
God forbid we just introduce waiting list. Sign up, you'll get it in X months, 1 per household. Idk how easy it is to get multiple addresses, but I'd be willing to bet it would turn a lot of scalpers off immediately.

 

Gamestop though is only $15, this is totally not worth it unless you buy an iPhone from BestBuy and get the Applecare that comes with the membership. Its $200 either way.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

I respect the hustle.

 

The included AppleCare maybe makes it a good deal for Apple whores like @Emblazon.

 

 

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

I saw some people on twitter saying they signed up and still weren't able to purchase one. I think it highly depends on your area.

 

Unfortunately, locking hot tech behind a paywall seems to be the new fad because A: the company can make more money and B: scalpers don't harvest them as quickly.
God forbid we just introduce waiting list. Sign up, you'll get it in X months, 1 per household. Idk how easy it is to get multiple addresses, but I'd be willing to bet it would turn a lot of scalpers off immediately.

 

Gamestop though is only $15, this is totally not worth it unless you buy an iPhone from BestBuy and get the Applecare that comes with the membership. Its $200 either way.

 

It's kind of weird how Apple is the only one who does this. They'll just take your order and throw it into the queue to be fulfilled when they can. No shenanigans with having to be online at exactly the right time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jason said:

 

The included AppleCare maybe makes it a good deal for Apple whores like @Emblazon.

 

 

 

It's kind of weird how Apple is the only one who does this. They'll just take your order and throw it into the queue to be fulfilled when they can. No shenanigans with having to be online at exactly the right time.


EVGA does this as well, but it’s a much slower grind. With the RTX cards, they actually prioritize people who didn’t get one from the waiting list/queue yet over ones who got, say, a 3080 from the queue and re-entered for a 3080 Ti. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know why Gamestop isn't doing waiting lists this gen. They've literally done it every other gen up until now. Hell, they were doing it when it was literally a bunch of names on notecards in a box. Now with all this integrated technology, all of a sudden it's beyond their abilities?

  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Are there buy limits?  Otherwise the scalpers can easily cover this cost leaving regular Joe's still out to dry.

I assume yes because I know that pokemon cards are 2 per person. I've never tried to checkout with 2 PS5's though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jason said:

 

The included AppleCare maybe makes it a good deal for Apple whores like @Emblazon.

 

 

 

It's kind of weird how Apple is the only one who does this. They'll just take your order and throw it into the queue to be fulfilled when they can. No shenanigans with having to be online at exactly the right time.

 

I'm guessing the manufacturers don't sell directly because it would tick off the retailers. There must be back door arrangements that effect how they can sell the stuff.

 

Anyway, doesn't Microsoft sell directly to the customer anyway? I don't get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jason said:

It's kind of weird how Apple is the only one who does this. They'll just take your order and throw it into the queue to be fulfilled when they can. No shenanigans with having to be online at exactly the right time.

 

I would hazard a guess that there are very few companies that are as on point with projecting their internal logistics capabilities and customer demand as Apple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:


EVGA does this as well, but it’s a much slower grind. With the RTX cards, they actually prioritize people who didn’t get one from the waiting list/queue yet over ones who got, say, a 3080 from the queue and re-entered for a 3080 Ti. 

I've been in a queue since June. They made some adjustments recently, so I'm hopeful that I might get notified soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ort said:

 

I'm guessing the manufacturers don't sell directly because it would tick off the retailers. There must be back door arrangements that effect how they can sell the stuff.

 

Anyway, doesn't Microsoft sell directly to the customer anyway? I don't get it.

 

I meant that Best Buy could take your order and just send it to you when they can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like Microsoft doesn't currently sell their consoles. Their page just links to retailers. There's a big Microsoft logo too, and I'm guessing when supply catches up to demand they do sell consoles direct, but they can't now because of deals they have with these retailers.

 

Like I said earlier, I'm guessing retailers are contractually forbidden from making a wait list, because none of them actually want that. What would happen is everyone would get on every wait list and it would just be a mess.

 

I don't know, but these things are messy and there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes.

 

Who could have guessed that like it would take years for supply to catch up with demand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ort said:

It looks like Microsoft doesn't currently sell their consoles. Their page just links to retailers. There's a big Microsoft logo too, and I'm guessing when supply catches up to demand they do sell consoles direct, but they can't now because of deals they have with these retailers.

 

They sell it, it's just never in stock

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

They sell it, it's just never in stock

 

 

 

WWW.NOWINSTOCK.NET

Microsoft Xbox Series X full in stock history. View this page to find when and where the Microsoft Xbox Series X has been in stock in the recent past.

MS store is on here a lot, they just don't go for an extended period of time so it must be limited quantities every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nokt said:

 

WWW.NOWINSTOCK.NET

Microsoft Xbox Series X full in stock history. View this page to find when and where the Microsoft Xbox Series X has been in stock in the recent past.

MS store is on here a lot, they just don't go for an extended period of time so it must be limited quantities every time.

 

I’m on the Telegram channel for Xbox stock drops. I immediately click through and the furthest I’ve gotten is adding something to my cart, but can never successfully check out. It’s either extremely limited, the bots outninja me within seconds, or both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m on the Telegram channel for Xbox stock drops. I immediately click through and the furthest I’ve gotten is adding something to my cart, but can never successfully check out. It’s either extremely limited, the bots outninja me within seconds, or both.

I've had the best luck with Walmart and Best Buy. Just stay checked in for both otherwise you might lose out having to login. Also downloading the apps helps a lot too, sometimes you won't get the errors on the app like you would on a browser.

 

I did get lucky with amazon once as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, Jason said:

 

The included AppleCare maybe makes it a good deal for Apple whores like @Emblazon.

 

 

 

It's kind of weird how Apple is the only one who does this. They'll just take your order and throw it into the queue to be fulfilled when they can. No shenanigans with having to be online at exactly the right time.


I actually didn’t get one. I was all ready to throw my money at a new one (got the 13 Pro), but the update was horrible. They lost me at “same great battery life”. No. The Apple Watch battery life is shit. I stick with it because I love the functionality, but the battery life is easily the worst thing about the device. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've pretty much given up on getting a console for this generation. They could have fixed this garbage system before enacting it, but they saw scalpers as some kind of huge profit, even though they sell consoles at a loss to gain customers for their online stores.

 

I've been a long-time loyal Best Buy customer but there's zero chance I'm ever going to pay $200 just to have a slight chance of getting a future console. That's ridiculous.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

 

I got one waiting at BB for me to pick up

you will love it.  Wouldn't think that making the screen just a tiny bit bigger would make a difference but it does! And the games look fantastic on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh, it’s $200. :/ I can’t pay $200 extra for it, I could scalp it for less.

Call around dude. They are showing up around here at Targets, GameStops, and Best Buys.  Shit even the local Micro-Center had some for pick-up.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stepee said:

damn, striking out here, though neither target is picking up in electronics, which has frustratingly been often the case. These stores have like no staff.

 

 

Which system are you going for? PS5? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

damn, striking out here, though neither target is picking up in electronics, which has frustratingly been often the case. These stores have like no staff.

 

 

It’s bare bones. Even when I went last week, they had to page someone for assistance and it took about 15 mins for someone to show up for a 30 second question. My sister wants one for the niece so I am trying to secure one for her first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...