Dave Chappelle The Closer Netflix special

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Generally speaking when someone says "cancelled" nowadays (when they are in a position of power/fame) it really just means that people aren't fawning over them as much, and this displeases them.

lol yeah, they don’t make violins tiny enough for it

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I think figuring about 95% of all people are awful but it’s about 1% of that 5% that makes the other 4% so awful is the healthiest world view.

If that were really the case, humans would never have been to form actual societies and civilizations, so I have to categorically reject that notion :p

I will say that “Cancel Culture” has probably jumped the shark. I’ve had several conversations with friends and family members recently who are all over it. I still say that it’s really about accountability for folks that don’t like to be held accountable, but they have managed to rebrand it into some kind of assault against free speech and folks have bought into it.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Generally speaking when someone says "cancelled" nowadays (when they are in a position of power/fame) it really just means that people aren't fawning over them as much, and this displeases them.

43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I will say that “Cancel Culture” has probably jumped the shark. I’ve had several conversations with friends and family members recently who are all over it. I still say that it’s really about accountability for folks that don’t like to be held accountable, but they have managed to rebrand it into some kind of assault against free speech and folks have bought into it.

Yeah, both of these. It seems to me that most of the time when people are bitching about "cancel culture", it's just that they're being held accountable for the shitty thing they said and they're not used to it. Though there are certainly exceptions where PC-ness has gone too far, of course. 

36 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
gettyimages-1197631039.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

And Ahmaud Arbery’s killers are convicted.

Chappelle responded, as recalled the next day by the students, “My friend, with all due respect, I don’t believe you could make one of the decisions I have to make on a given day.” 

o so hard to be Chappelle. Imagine getting handed a $20M+ check for a special and saying this to a child. 

• Guillotine 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 2:55 PM, Kal-El814 said:

o so hard to be Chappelle. Imagine getting handed a $20M+ check for a special and saying this to a child. 

I fully expect to get assaulted here for what I'm about to say - but that article was funny as hell.  

I have a feeling too many here are reading this like it's a drama when it is a comedy.  Him dunking on those students reminds me of the billy madison scene of adam sandler blasting kids in the face with dodge balls.  If you read the whole article it even explains how dave told them all he had been joking, he loved them all, gave them all tickets to his show, gave them all thanksgiving dinner - and has provided lots of money to their school over the years for their education.  Dave takes things to extremes to make points.  That has always been his comedy.

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, number305 said:

I fully expect to get assaulted here for what I'm about to say - but that article was funny as hell.  

I have a feeling too many here are reading this like it's a drama when it is a comedy.  Him dunking on those students reminds me of the billy madison scene of adam sandler blasting kids in the face with dodge balls.  If you read the whole article it even explains how dave told them all he had been joking, he loved them all, gave them all tickets to his show, gave them all thanksgiving dinner - and has provided lots of money to their school over the years for their education.  Dave takes things to extremes to make points.  That has always been his comedy.

Those are real kids, not characters in a movie.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Embarrassed Shame GIF