Dave Chappelle The Closer Netflix special

On 10/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, SuperSpreader said:

I've never heard of the word TERF until this thread. 

Well more so Dave's special, but yeah this 100%. Also, on one of his earlier Netflix specials, he has the bit about "The G's, the L's, the B's, and the T's.", and how in a real way, the T's are sort of holding up the entire movement that had progressed quite well over the last 30+ years. I liken it to Roman Reigns in a way with his whole "Acknowledge Me!" schtick he's doing and what happens to those that fail to do so, they get jumped & pummeled by his whole crew. The "all or nothing" mentality that has become so pervasive in so many avenues of discussion is abhorrent.

Sometimes I think that I'm lucky twitter wasn't a thing when I was a teenager. I'm sure I said some horrible shit, but I had the fortune of not having all of my terrible opinions enshrined on the internet foerever (I mean I guess you could find them on some geocities shit or if you knew one of my IGN usernames or whatever). 

That's kind of where I'm at with cancel culture. There is a cancerous aspect to it wherein people just dig through everyone's past to find some time when they said something really racist in 2010, when the reality is most of us probably also said some pretty racist shit, too. Don't throw stones in a glass house and all that.

I like the fact that we are collectively acknowleding how racist, mysoginist, xenophobic, and homophic we all were/are. And I like that we are holding people accountable for it, even if it's just a superficial twitter kind of way.

That being said, there's a right way to go about it if you do get called out on it. You can say "yeah, I was being a fucking knob, I've learned better," and I hate that there are people that still go after people who do that after the fact. Let people grow and move on. The other way is you can double down on your ignorance and play a victim

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The definition of bigotry has changed so much in the last 30-years that I am not so sure that is the case for a lot of people.

The thing that immediately comes to mind is how free flowing the F word for gay people was said back when I was in junior high-high school age late 90s-early 00s. I bet a LOT of people would get busted for that one when #BadOldTweets resurfaced, were social media a thing at the time.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The thing that immediately comes to mind is how free flowing the F word for gay people was said back when I was in junior high-high school age late 90s-early 00s. I bet a LOT of people would get busted for that one when #BadOldTweets resurfaced, were social media a thing at the time.

Not racist doe.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Fizzle started with everyone said pretty racist shit. I denied that and then AbsoluteSturgeon replied to me saying bigotry and then here we are now.

I am aware, but I didn’t respond to you, I responded the him.

I'm not sure why people are splitting hairs between different types of bigotry.  Is saying something racist different than other types of hate speech?

I can say, however, in my high school during the 80s, words were used pretty frequently to refer to different groups (i.e. Italians, Filipinos, Pakistanis, etc.) that today would be considered extremely racist -- these terms were often used by the groups themselves.  People frequently used the word "gay" and "retarded" to indicate they didn't like something.  

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm not sure why people are splitting hairs between different types of bigotry.  Is saying something racist different than other types of hate speech?

I can say, however, in my high school during the 80s, words were used pretty frequently to refer to different groups (i.e. Italians, Filipinos, Pakistanis, etc.) that today would be considered extremely racist -- these terms were often used by the groups themselves.  People frequently used the word "gay" and "retarded" to indicate they didn't like something.  

To be honest, those words were ALWAYS offensive. It's just that the groups they were being used against had little agency in fighting back against them. THAT'S what's changed. Not the definiton or intent behind those words. And that's where the push back is coming from... people who had little reason to experience the consequences of their shitty actions are being held to account and don't like it.

20 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is, almost literally, the exact same playbook used against gay people not that long ago, right down to the, “look at the shitty thing this gay person / people said, so hypocritical,” scheme.

I can't speak for the gay movement, but this tactic had DEFINITELY been used to try and silence/invalidate civil rights movements in the past. Look at groups like Black Lives Matter which opponents on The Right have tried to label as a hate group on par with the clan and subjects liek Critical Race Theory which has been labled as some kind of indoctrination against white people. Neither is the case in fact.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Even though it wasn't OK (as mentioned above) it was generally accepted to be relatively harmless to say something was "gay"

On the other hand it was never ok to say anything racist.

At least where I'm from. Maybe Canada is different.

There certainly is language that today is commonly viewed as offensive that absolutely was not to any large degree by the affected group in the 80s and 90s. Things like referring to southeast Asians as “Orientals” is a really recent no-no, as an example.

Culture and language change over time, because people change over time. I am generally one to ignore the bad old tweets as the truly bad folks of today always show their true colors. I think it also discourages people from growing and changing for the better when we try to “hold them accountable' for things they said a decade or more ago.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There certainly is language that today is commonly viewed as offensive that absolutely was not to any large degree by the affected group in the 80s and 90s. Things like referring to southeast Asians as “Orientals” is a really recent no-no, as an example.

Culture and language change over time, because people change over time. I am generally one to ignore the bad old tweets as the truly bad folks of today always show their true colors. I think it also discourages people from growing and changing for the better when we try to “hold them accountable for things they said a decade or more ago.

I’ve definitely told jokes before where the misogyny / racism / homophobia / transphobia, etc., was the punchline before. At the time I assumed that knowing what the joke was made it okay or I had loved ones in those groups so I was “in on it” enough to not “mean it.” As someone who’s 41 I’ve spent a non-trivial amount of my life calling things gay or retarded, if I was going along with rap lyrics in my car I wouldn’t censor myself. And so on and so on. I don’t do any of that anymore because I don’t think the justifications I used really hold up and I don’t have the same sense of entitlement that I did then, even if “then” is probably embarrassingly recent for some of those things.

I think you’re also right in that people who use dog whistles are rarely as subtle as they think they are and people who aren’t actually ashamed of their positions tend to say them aloud even if some of them do try to hide thorns somewhere under the blooms.

• Like 1

The difference is knowing your behavior and changing it vs. doubling down and playing the victim.

For example, watch an Eddie Murphy special from the 80's. Dear lord, his material did not age well.

And yeah, I used the term "racist," though generally bigoted would fit better.

Asked for their thoughts on the recent Dave Chappelle controversy and Netflix backing the comic, Stone remarks, “I think Netflix’s reputation in the Hollywood community went way, way up. That’s all I’m going to say. There are some people who do not agree. But the vast majority of creative people in Hollywood were happy with Netflix’s decision. That’s my feeling. I can’t prove that.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/south-park-trey-parker-matt-stone-series-return-1235036882/amp/

Which to me makes sense. Even if you find yourself on the other side of the issue from Chappelle here, compare the Netflix response to how quickly Disney caved on Astro-turfed outrage at Gunn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, skillzdadirecta said:
211016200934-flame-monroe-transgender-co
WWW.CNN.COM

Flame Monroe, a transgender comedian, discusses Dave Chappelle's Netflix special that has drawn criticism from some people in the transgender...

She's certainly allowed to have that opinion but I personally found those jokes to be hacky and well-worn material. Trans comics I know thought the material wasn't original enough and felt beneath him. A single trans comic defending Chappelle isn't newsworthy, unless it's newsworthy that only a single trans person is defending Chappelle :p

I have a few thoughts on the matter:

- It should be noted first that trans employees of Netflix aren't asking for the special to be removed. Their list of demands does ask for Netflix to give more of a spotlight to trans voices to balance out the material from the Chappelle special, but removing the special is not one of the demands. Yet it keeps getting framed as if the employees are asking for its removal. I'm sure there are some on twitter who do want it removed, but it is not a demand of the employees. 

- I'm not for its removal either. People can seek it out and make up their own minds. Hopefully Netflix becomes better about creating programing that allows trans people to share their experience so viewers can see the other side as well. We're in the middle of a sea change when it comes to gender and Chapelle's material is gonna age REALLY poorly within 5-10 years I'm telling you. Keeping the special up on Netflix is almost the better punishment in the long run.

- The jokes are just dumb and not very original. What's the most offensive thing about the special is how he namedrops a trans comic to let the audience know that he can make these jokes because he has a trans friend. This is a comic who was briefly mentioned in his last special and then committed suicided a week later. But according to the comic's roommate they weren't that close and Chapelle didn't even reach out after this comic committed suicide - he kept far away from it for months. And then suddenly wants to start using her in his material. It's honestly just really gross and exploitive and should be a bigger story than the jokes themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
211122-Roundtree-Chappelle-tease_m62gvj
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

The comedian made a series of transphobic jokes at Madison Square Garden on Monday, a month after he faced backlash for his anti-trans jokes in Netflix special “The Closer.”

Chappelle vowed to be hitting pause on jokes about the LGBTQ+ community until he and the LGBTQ+ community could both be laughing together again. "I'm telling you: It's done. I'm done talking about it," he concluded.

But on Monday night, Chappelle laughed as he acknowledged his promise to stop with that kind of material, but with the new caveat that he'd only do so if the set was being recorded

“Week four of being cancelled, it’s crazy,” he began, launching into a tale about how he had to take out an order of protection against a racist neighbor who had turned up at his house a few months ago.

He described that his wife had gifted him a pearl-handled .22 caliber pistol, joking that the last thing someone would say to him before he had to use the weapon would be “faggot.” And if Chappelle did end up going to jail for murder, to escape the roughness of prison he said he would simply claim to identify as a woman.

He said the payment would have to be kept a secret, otherwise other people with no health insurance would come knocking on his door looking for medical help, adding that trans people would be among those asking him to pay for their surgeries.

He also made a series of pronoun jokes. When introducing the musician H.E.R., he quipped, "It's a pronoun you don't hear much!" Later on when riffing with Stewart, Chappelle mentioned that he'd form a transgender tribute band named "They."

But he's just misunderstood!

Also, fuck Jon Stewart:

Stewart, who had just professed Chappelle's graciousness and blasted people who wanted to make money off conflict, seemed to shrug the jokes off, adding “Can’t stop, won’t stop,” toward Chappelle’s line of jokes.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
211122-Roundtree-Chappelle-tease_m62gvj
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

The comedian made a series of transphobic jokes at Madison Square Garden on Monday, a month after he faced backlash for his anti-trans jokes in Netflix special “The Closer.”

But he's just misunderstood!

Also, fuck Jon Stewart:

Feels like hes about a step away from making the "i IdEnTiFy As An AtTaCk HeLiCoPtEr" joke

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Stewart, who had just professed Chappelle's graciousness and blasted people who wanted to make money off conflict, seemed to shrug the jokes off, adding “Can’t stop, won’t stop,” toward Chappelle’s line of jokes.

</3