Today is my two year anniversary of quitting alcohol

Kamusha

@Komusha Congrats and i hope it continues to work for you! You have to do what works best for you. I have a frequent customer that comes in very early and buys half pints  of McCormick Vodka. Almost every time she swears this will be her last one. She keeps having problems at work because of drinking and it causes health problems. I feel bad for her and i know she comes in on other shifts and buys more.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Komusha Congrats and i hope it continues to work for you! You have to do what works best for you. I have a frequent customer that comes in very early and buys half pints  of McCormick Vodka. Almost every time she swears this will be her last one. She keeps having problems at work because of drinking and it causes health problems. I feel bad for her and i know she comes in on other shifts and buys more.

That sucks 😕 

34 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Elizabeth Shue?

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Congratulations. I stopped drinking for a few years then slipped up sometime last year and was drinking a 6 pack each night. I finally quit that shit and I'm pretty confident I'll remain sober for a while. I'm an alcoholic for life. 

I’m so glad to hear that you quit again. I was starting to think I could maybe drink moderately again but within the past month or two I’ll randomly get cravings to just get completely sloshed again. Thankfully they go away after a day or so and it’s not all the time, but it’s just a sign that I shouldn’t even touch one drink, ever again. The thought of slipping up is is scary, but as you know it does get easier over time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rachel said:

Congrats! I hit one year last month. It’s awesome. 

I remember you mentioning you have c-PTSD. I do as well. How has quitting drinking affected your trauma symptoms, if at all?

The first few months for me I felt so amazing. I was so happy to be out of the alcohol trap. Then suddenly all this trauma I was drinking away had resurfaced and I didn’t know how to cope, drinking was my go to coping mechanism. I found myself facing a mental breakdown, suicide attempt, and involuntary hospitalization. Still recovering from all that and learning healthier ways to cope but it’s been a wild ride.

Even still through all that I don’t miss drinking. Sobriety is truly a gift even if it did bring me to face the hardest most heartbreaking time of my life. Much better to go through that and build a new foundation than to continue down the path of alcoholism.

I'm so sorry to hear you had that rough of a go of it, but super inspired to hear that you made it through all of that and are still sober. You should be super proud of yourself for that. Glad to hear you're doing better and are looking at it positively.

I was also drinking to self medicate for my CPTSD, but I wasn't as aware of it at the time as I was now. At least not initially. But because I was self medicating, quitting alcohol did eventually make demons appear to me stronger than they had before. Sobriety doesn't take the problems away, it just gives you a clearer head so that you begin working on your problems. I had to work on myself in a variety of ways. A counselor really helped me out with learning how to deal with triggers when they did occur. I'm also big into meditation which has always provided me a foundation of peace even through turbulent times. And at times CBD helped take the edge off. It was hard at me a lot in the beginning but two years later it has become marketably better but still working on it.

12 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Emphasis on the bold part. I didn’t even realize I was traumatized until after I got sober. In hindsight I realized that an old psychologist I had was *strongly* hinting at it (why she just didn’t outright say it, I don’t know lol) but I didn’t get it officially diagnosed until earlier this year. Up until then I just thought I had run of the mill anxiety and depression. Therapy helped a bit with those things but there was still a huge piece missing it seemed. The cptsd diagnosis explained sooo much. It was also really hard to accept/realize that I had been abused and that my childhood was far from normal. A lot of repressed shit resurfaced after my diagnosis. 

Anyway, glad to hear you have come such a long way in the last 2 years. I’m still just a few months into my trauma healing. I have a trauma therapist and I’m working hard on my mental health every day. It’s nice to hear from someone further along that things get better. 

One day I need to step up to the plate like you did. It takes incredible strength to do what you're doing. Keep it up!