Thriller is no longer the best-selling album of all-time

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

@SaysWho? Why the :guillotine:? I don't think that's an especially spicy take. They're both rad albums. I'd say Thriller probably has better tracks but Off The Wall is a better album as a whole.

I have a hard time putting it above Thriller or Bad. Probably above Dangerous just based on consistency, but well below Thriller and Bad. 

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I have a hard time putting it above Thriller or Bad. Probably above Dangerous just based on consistency, but well below Thriller and Bad. 

Interesting. I think Bad has a couple tracks that I think are straight up not good (Dirty Diana, Speed Demon) which is something that I don't think you can say about Off The Wall or Thriller. Tracks 3 - 6 on the record just... drag. And he somehow made a Stevie Wonder collaboration kinda boring with Just Good Friends. And Dangerous... man I feel like it doesn't even belong in the same discussion as OTW, Thriller, or Bad. It's a huge letdown after those three. I mean that's a murderer's row of albums so I don't think anyone could have kept that up and it's not like Dangerous is a bad album or anything, it's really good. I just think the previous three are all legitimately great.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Interesting. I think Bad has a couple tracks that I think are straight up not good (Dirty Diana, Speed Demon) which is something that I don't think you can say about Off The Wall or Thriller. Tracks 3 - 6 on the record just... drag. And he somehow made a Stevie Wonder collaboration kinda boring with Just Good Friends. And Dangerous... man I feel like it doesn't even belong in the same discussion as OTW, Thriller, or Bad. It's a huge letdown after those three. I mean that's a murderer's row of albums so I don't think anyone could have kept that up and it's not like Dangerous is a bad album or anything, it's really good. I just think the previous three are all legitimately great.

Dangerous suffers from not having Jones as a producer, I think. I feel like no one had the reigns on MJ on that album, so even a track as good as Black Or White had moments when the main riff went on for too long and should have been trimmed.

Can't say I agree with anything dragging on Bad. I'm a big fan of the chorus of Liberian Girl. Off The Wall doesn't really have anything that sticks out; it's mostly just good songs but nothing I crave listening to. And of the Paul McCartney stuff, The Girl Is Mine makes me laugh with the "feud" being sung, whereas McCartney's song Girlfriend on Off The Wall feels like a late 90s solo McCartney single that kind of sags.

Thriller is just consistent with terrific pieces. For years, I thought MJ wasn't for me and I wouldn't enjoy his music. My friend let me borrow Thriller, and I was hooked immediately from the opening track which, up to that point, didn't sound like a piece I'd appreciate. Bad and Thriller have pieces I think are among MJ's best, but I can't say the same about Off The Wall.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson, but I UTTERLY DESPISE The Eagles, especially Don Henley.

In 1980 paramedics were summoned to the home of Don Henley of The Eagles, where they found two girls, aged 15 and 16 respectively; the former was arrested for being under the influence of drugs and the latter, who was naked when the authorities arrived, charged with prostitution. Henley paid a $2,500 fine and got probation.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

For the record, I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson, but I UTTERLY DESPISE The Eagles, especially Don Henley.

In 1980 paramedics were summoned to the home of Don Henley of The Eagles, where they found two girls, aged 15 and 16 respectively; the former was arrested for being under the influence of drugs and the latter, who was naked when the authorities arrived, charged with prostitution. Henley paid a $2,500 fine and got probation.

https://www.houstonpress.com/music/teen-angels-10-musicians-with-a-penchant-for-young-girls-6502186

classic rock is full of these dudes

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't think any album can ever top Thriller in terms of impact at the time of release.

Nevermind, The Chronic, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band / Rubber Soul, Homework... I dunno. “At the time of release” makes it interesting since I’d say it eliminates stuff that had a longer term effect, shit like Autobahn was hugely influential but not at the time. Hmm.