Update: Evergrande (Chinese mega property developer) files for Chapter 15 bankruptcy protection

11 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm interested in why here. 

I'm not going anywhere any time soon, and I figure the 15 year at the lower rate is going to let me pay off sooner and save more. 

It gives you more cash flow options. You can always pay more if you want, or you could invest the lower payment into something that will return much more in gains than you would spend in interest. 

4 minutes ago, Ominous said:

It gives you more cash flow options. You can always pay more if you want, or you could invest the lower payment into something that will return much more in gains than you would spend in interest. 

We had enough to buy our place outright and our financial advisor talked us out of it. She had us put 20% down and invest the rest.

Basically I could invest everything if I bought it outright and after 5 years it wouldn't be as much as doing the 80% I invested. The growth of that 80% should be higher than the interest and average property value growth over time. 

• True 1

9 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

We had enough to buy our place outright and our financial advisor talked us out of it. She had us put 20% down and invest the rest.

Basically I could invest everything if I bought it outright and after 5 years it wouldn't be as much as doing the 80% I invested. The growth of that 80% should be higher than the interest and average property value growth over time. 

We worh with Charles Schwab and they often recommend people with tens (hundreds) of millions of dollars get mortgages so they can keep as much of their assets invested. Make your money work for you and you won't need to work as hard for it. 

42 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm interested in why here. 

I'm not going anywhere any time soon, and I figure the 15 year at the lower rate is going to let me pay off sooner and save more. 

A 30 year would potentially have less risk though?  If you lose your job or have to take a pay cut, it will be easier to absorb the blow from a lower monthly payment compared to the higher minimum payment on a 15 year. 

All these are fair considerations. And I'm still not decided on what to do just yet. 

I'll think it over through the weekend, look at my brokerage accounts and savings, then see what next week brings. 

Maybe the Chinese markets will fall and bring our interest rates lower :p 

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I didn’t love my job as a financial advisor, but the biggest takeaway I took from it is that 15 year mortgages are a scam.

Oh? I got snookered by the whole life insurance thing a while back. (I got out quick though)

Tell me more about this. 

13 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Oh? I got snookered by the whole life insurance thing a while back. (I got out quick though)

Tell me more about this. 

Basically, get your 15 year quote and 30 year quote. Take the 30 year. With the money you are saving, open a Vanguard account and put that money in an S&P ETF. After 15 years, you would have enough to pay off the rest of your mortgage with that account and plenty of change. Plus, you would have the flexibility to use that money elsewhere should an emergency arise.

• Like 1

Also remember that Fannie and Freddie are risk based in terms of their pricing. They have loan level adjustments based on your LTV and FICO that play into how much you pay, or don't pay, for a rate.  So sometimes people will want to put more down to get a lower rate without having to pay as much in points, but I still think it's dumb to put more money down then is needed. 

The best way to save money is having a FICO over 740, or even 720.

Nerd stuff

https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/media/9391/display 

Cure for insomnia.

https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/media/28871/display

borrow-30-year.jpg
THEFINANCEBUFF.COM

A 30-year loan has lower monthly payments than a 15-year loan. See why investing the difference in monthly payments doesn't pay off for a long time.

Here’s an example of what I was talking about. This example uses a 5% side fund, which is pretty conservative. S&P historically does 8% I believe. So it doesn’t quite get to paying off the mortgage in 15 years, but it gets pretty close and you have way more flexibility. Of course you have to be disciplined to maintain the side fund/investment account.

Note: the conclusion of the article is the opposite of what I’m saying lol, but it’s important to consider that 5% is a lowball number assuming you are a disciplined investor and won’t get scared and withdraw at first sign of a dip.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:
borrow-30-year.jpg
THEFINANCEBUFF.COM

A 30-year loan has lower monthly payments than a 15-year loan. See why investing the difference in monthly payments doesn't pay off for a long time.

Here’s an example of what I was talking about. This example uses a 5% side fund, which is pretty conservative. S&P historically does 8% I believe. So it doesn’t quite get to paying off the mortgage in 15 years, but it gets pretty close and you have way more flexibility. Of course you have to be disciplined to maintain the side fund/investment account.

They also use 3.5 percent in their example, which in 2020 / 2021 is a pretty terrible rate for a rate and term loan. 

@Ominous @Joe

I've tinkered around with some amortization tables on what I currently owe, vs. what a potential 15 year would be vs. what I could invest in the difference (yay Vanguard ETFs).

The mortgage brokers I've spoken to have also offered 20 year loans. I've not heard of those. But I've gotten a quote or two. 

I don't know if 20 years are weird refinancing scams or if they're just splitting the difference between 15 and 30 year. 

I'm being pretty conservative with estimated return rates, so it looks like the "invest the difference" would work out well on a 20 year. If the market beats 3% over the next 15 years, then I'm even better off. 

There are reasons to pay down debt more rapidly, but a lot of it is more psychological, like studies about people being more likely to stay in the same job when they have debt for stability reasons versus taking a chance on a new job.

If you can get terms low enough that inflation pretty much wipes out the rate, pay it off as slow as possible and use that cash flow for whatever else you’d rather use it for.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: China's biggest property developer has now missed two interest payment deadlines to foreign debt holders
  • 3 weeks later...
6048.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

‘No guarantee’ Chinese property giant can meet its $305bn debts, starting with a deadline on Monday that could trigger default

Shares in the struggling property giant China Evergrande have fallen sharply after plans to offload a stake in one of its units for $2.6bn fell through, casting further doubt over whether it can avert the country’s biggest ever corporate failure.

China Evergrande Group, the parent company for the sprawling empire built by former steel industry executive Xu Jiayin, closed down 12.54% in Hong Kong on Thursday.

Evergrande announced on Wednesday that it had formally abandoned plans to sell a 50.1% slice of Evergrande Property Services, one of its most profitable units, and said there was “no guarantee” it could meet its financial obligations in order to stay afloat.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Evergrande (Chinese mega property developer) says "no guarantee" that its financial obligations can be met after $2.6 billion deal to sell business unit collapses
  • 1 year later...

Guess who finally filed for bankruptcy?

YTY3DAP5TVM7VG26MANSCFUDDE.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

China Evergrande , which is the world's most heavily indebted property developer and became the poster child for China's property crisis, on Thursday filed for protection from creditors in a U.S. bankruptcy court.

China Evergrande (3333.HK), which is the world's most heavily indebted property developer and became the poster child for China's property crisis, on Thursday filed for protection from creditors in a U.S. bankruptcy court.

The company sought protection under Chapter 15 of the U.S. bankruptcy code, which shields non-U.S. companies that are undergoing restructurings from creditors that hope to sue them or tie up assets in the United States.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Evergrande (Chinese mega property developer) files for Chapter 15 bankruptcy protection
2 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Oh that is not good

While this bankruptcy filing only impacts US-based creditors, it doesn't exactly instill confidence in the ability of the Evergrande to meet its debt obligations to domestic Chinese creditors.

And by extension, that would have a less-than-desirable impact on the Chinese banking system.