Should we actually be excited about the new Nvidia cards?

1 hour ago, legend said:

I'm also a framerate whore about a steady 60 fps and loathe micro stutter and tearing, so I always optimize for that. But every indication shows that 1080P (which is the original context of my comment to Dre who said he wanted to stay at 1080P) with ray tracing features at 60FPS is absolutely going to be possible quite frequently, and it's only going to get more possible with time as developers start optimizing for the hardware. The DF Dice videos do a good job at making that clear.

Now if you're commenting out of the original context of the 1080P discussion,  want 4K at 60fps, and otherwise would rather have that than ray tracing, then this is *still* a great card to get because this is the first line of cards that seem to make conventional ultra raster games at 4K extremely reliable. And because the ray tracing resolution can be lower than the screen resolution, as time goes on you'd probably still be able to do 4K Ultra at 60 with some degree of ray tracing on as well.

Really, no matter your preferences on how much you care about each kind of graphical features, this is a winning card.

The prices are high, there is no doubt about that. But if you're the kind of person who is willing to spend 1K on gaming hardware, there hasn't been a card that gives a better reason to do that in a very long time.

Not disagreeing with you on "winning card part", just saying it is very expensive and many people wont really benefit right now and in my case, I will wait for performance to imporove, I do not think this will offer much over my 1080Ti.  Benchmarks will show that of course.

33 minutes ago, Mithan said:

Not disagreeing with you on "winning card part", just saying it is very expensive and many people wont really benefit right now and in my case, I will wait for performance to imporove, I do not think this will offer much over my 1080Ti.  Benchmarks will show that of course.

Yeah, I won't deny its expensiveness and if people just don't like spending that much money on this kind of thing, I totally get it. But for those of us who would spend that much, I can't think of a better card to do it for in the last 15 years or so.* And I think that holds true even for people who are still on a 1080P TV.

* Provisional claim until we have more confirmation about its performance being real.

If you're investigating in video cards always get the insurance.  They've always done this at MicroCenter, but now I've noticed the same at Best Buy where they literally upsell you on the insurance by stating "You can literally break this phone/card/vacuum and get a replacement no matter what.   

At MicroCenter though..you can get two years out of a card...take it back in say it's defective and they give you a credit for what you paid....to be applied to a new card.  And the kicker is that you can then pay the extra for insurance on that card.