A billionaire, not named Bezos, Branson, or Musk, is going to space today.

Tonight at 8 pm Eastern, a Falcon 9 rocket carrying 4 passengers will lift off from Florida for a 3 day trip to low earth orbit.  This is a significant mission as it is the first, 100% private human launch to orbit in history.  It's being paid for by a fairly unknown billionaire, Jared Isaacman.  He and his 3 crew members will orbit above the Earth at 575 km for approximately 3 days, conducting experiments and capturing documentary videos and photos that will be used for a Netflix special.  It's also a fundraiser for Saint Jude's hospital.  Isaacman hopes to raise $200 million that will be given to the hospital, and he has personally pledged $100 million toward that goal.  

Should be pretty cool.  SpaceX has indicated that there will be more private missions like this in the future, and may be able to support 6 to 8 private flights per year, in addition to the 2 NASA flights to the Space Station every year. 

kTpfBrwsWTrkG9fuSE9UgZ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.SPACE.COM

SpaceX will launch its first all-civilian crew on a three-day journey around the Earth and you can watch the action live online.

Aside from those of us nerds on gaming boards like this, most people aren't going to pay attention to any launch that doesn't involve a show-boating billionaire that we all know from oversaturation of the airwaves of their other exploits. Most people who paid attention to Bezos's launch and Musk's space adventures do so mainly because that billionaire is already known to them as a public spectacle. An unknown billionaire generally goes unnoticed by the population at large, and I assume that the only attention the latest one received was because of passengers who happened to be somewhat interesting.

22 hours ago, brucoe said:

Aside from those of us nerds on gaming boards like this, most people aren't going to pay attention to any launch that doesn't involve a show-boating billionaire that we all know from oversaturation of the airwaves of their other exploits. Most people who paid attention to Bezos's launch and Musk's space adventures do so mainly because that billionaire is already known to them as a public spectacle. An unknown billionaire generally goes unnoticed by the population at large, and I assume that the only attention the latest one received was because of passengers who happened to be somewhat interesting.

I disagree. This used to be the case, but sjnce the advent of SpaceX, I see a lot more regular people interested in launches. Sure, it's not going to be a huge event every time, but there was at least a decade where nobody cared at all. It's nice to see the public invested in space.

5 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I'm surprised this is all we've seen, I guess they're saving it for the Netflix thing?

Netflix and Time have exclusive access to this mission.  I'm sure they either donated a whole bunch of money to St Jude to do so, or they helped cover some of the costs of the launch.