Jump to content

Norm Macdonald dead at 61 after courageously battling cancer to a draw


CitizenVectron
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • CitizenVectron changed the title to Norm Macdonald dead at 61 after courageously battling cancer to a draw
2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I didn't even know he had cancer. He was a...complicated person, with a lot of that being negative. He was also one of the finest comedic minds of the last 50 years. I got to see him do stand up once and it was incredible.

 

He had been battling it for 9 years apparently but it was never announced publicly. Wow.

 

He seemed to be more on the conservative side but he kept his views out of his comedy so it never really bothered me too much. And his comedy was truly some of the best. He was a consistently perfect guest on Conan.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago, my grandfather was talking to all of us kids about his will and what possessions of his would go to us after he was gone. My uncle, his youngest son, was bothered by the discussion even happening. He asked, "I don't like talking about this. Doesn't it bother you?" And my gramps simply said, "As you get older, and all your heroes and friends start to die off themselves, death doesn't bother you as much. It just simply becomes your way of life." Norm is one of my heroes, and today I got to understand just what my gramps was saying a little bit better. This life got a whole lot less familiar for me =(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Komusha said:

His interview on WTF years ago was really good. It was one of the few times he drops the persona and you see him as a real person. Marc Maron always reposts old interviews with anyone who has recently died, so when that one drops definitely give it a listen if you're a fan.

 

Never mind, it's already on Marc's youtube page. I highly recommend it - it really humanizes him. I'll be giving it another listen over the next few days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Komusha said:

 

Never mind, it's already on Marc's youtube page. I highly recommend it - it really humanizes him. I'll be giving it another listen over the next few days.


oh damn, I forgot to post the interview itself. It’s been a crazy day, still process the whole thing. It doesn’t feel real. I was listening to it at the gym and it’s such a good, honest interview. He explains his rationale behind the style of comedy that he does and what he considers to be the perfect joke.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Komusha said:


oh damn, I forgot to post the interview itself. It’s been a crazy day, still process the whole thing. It doesn’t feel real. I was listening to it at the gym and it’s such a good, honest interview. He explains his rationale his style of comedy that he does and what he considers to be the perfect joke.

 

 

Thanks for sharing! Ended up listening to the whole thing, really great interview.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Years ago, my grandfather was talking to all of us kids about his will and what possessions of his would go to us after he was gone. My uncle, his youngest son, was bothered by the discussion even happening. He asked, "I don't like talking about this. Doesn't it bother you?" And my gramps simply said, "As you get older, and all your heroes and friends start to die off themselves, death doesn't bother you as much. It just simply becomes your way of life." Norm is one of my heroes, and today I got to understand just what my gramps was saying a little bit better. This life got a whole lot less familiar for me =(

My grandfather who is about to turn 95, and raised me, gave me his prized gold watch (retirement present after 40 years service) and their Cottage about 4 years ago. I told him that it could wait, I didn't want to see him go for a while yet. He said two things. He wanted to see us enjoy it, and he didn't want my mom, aunts and uncles fighting his will. Considering my aunt is a crazy Trumper (who barely survived Covid and is completely fucked up right now), my uncle has a terrible addiction, and my mom hasn't had contact with any of us in a decade, I do understand. They are also leaving me the home, but honestly, theres nothing id love to see more than my uncle clean his life up and beat his addiction, and if that ever happens, I will gladly sign the house over to him. Problems or not, he was really good to me growing up.

It feels weird that a loved one is planning for death, its certainly an unhappy thought, but if preparations give them solace, go with it.

 

This shocked me, I had no idea Norm was sick. He was an amazing entertainer. Saw him perform when I was in the military.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...