Oppenheimer (starring Cillian Murphy, written/directed by Christopher Nolan) - update (11/29): the "Oppenheimer 4K UHD Physical Media Shortage Crisis" is over!

Brian

I didn’t catch Tenet in theaters because of safety concerns and I just don’t have a good enough of a home setting to enjoy it on the sensory level that his newest movies seem to require these days. It’s a shame because if he had pushed it back a year I would have gladly gone to see it. The main reason why Dunkirk was such a memorable experience was because I caught it on 70mm IMAX. I would love for them to do a rerelease of Tenet for this reason.

The whole thing with WB and Disney I think stems from the fact that they are very cagey about how much money they make from streaming. A lot of actors, directors, etc get back end deals and studios seem to be keeping money from them by obfuscating their streaming revenue. Most of these contracts were signed when studios didn't even have their own streaming services. So WB releases Tenet with a significantly shortened launch window in theaters, puts it on streaming and then says he/they aren't entitled to any of the streaming income. 

I hope the ScarJo Disney lawsuit ends up getting publicized because it will highlight how much these streaming services actually make and could change the landscape of how contracts are handled in Hollywood.

It's weird to say Scarlett Johansson is fighting for the people or whatever, but the move towards streaming has been a move towards the large corporations getting richer, and the studios are purposefully obfuscating how much money they're making so they don't have to pay out as much in contracts. It's like on the one hand they have to tell their shareholders "WE'RE MAKING TONS OF MONEY, WE PROMISE," but they don't actually want to put a number on it, because if they do, people are actually going to want their cut.

58 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I didn’t catch Tenet in theaters because of safety concerns and I just don’t have a good enough of a home setting to enjoy it on the sensory level that his newest movies seem to require these days. It’s a shame because if he had pushed it back a year I would have gladly gone to see it. The main reason why Dunkirk was such a memorable experience was because I caught it on 70mm IMAX. I would love for them to do a rerelease of Tenet for this reason.

I did make it out to the IMAX for Tenet (shared a massive theater with like 4 other people). Honestly, I enjoyed it more at home, with headphones and subtitles. :p

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can't wait to see how he handles the scene where Oppenheimer calls to mind the quote from the Bhagavad-Gita after witnessing the first Trinity test :p

Silly you, assuming the audience will be able to hear the quote being said. :p

• Haha 1

After a trek to the director's Hollywood Hills compound, Universal, Sony and Apple learned he wanted total creative control, at least a 100-day theatrical window, around a $100 million budget, equal marketing spend, 20 percent of first-dollar gross, and a blackout period where the studio would not release another movie for three weeks before and after the feature.

Christopher-Nolan-attends-the-screening-
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

After a trek to the director's Hollywood Hills compound, Universal, Sony and Apple learned he wanted total creative control, at least a 100-day theatrical window...

Basketball Wives Reality Tv GIF by VH1

• Brian changed the title to Deadline: Christopher Nolan to direct film about J. Robert Oppenheimer in collaboration with Universal Pictures, ending his run with Warner Bros (Updated with his demands)
19 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m going to watch Dunkirk outside on a sunny day on my iPhone with the sound off and subtitles on to celebrate Nolan swinging for the fences.

Think bigger. I'm sure someone has figured out how to force an e-ink Kindle to play video.

I believe he had a 20% first dollar gross for Tenet as well. Honestly given how much success he's had at the box office, yeah he can pretty much demand what he wants here. Would have been interesting what Tenet would have made under normal, non pandemic circumstances. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I believe he had a 20% first dollar gross for Tenet as well. Honestly given how much success he's had at the box office, yeah he can pretty much demand what he wants here. Would have been interesting what Tenet would have made under normal, non pandemic circumstances. 

I'm pretty sure that word-of-mouth would've made it underperform anyway.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Silly you, assuming the audience will be able to hear the quote being said. :p

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

nuclear explosion bomb GIF

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[Hans Zimmer BWWWWAAA] I have become [barely audible muffled speech] [more Hans Zimmer BWWWAAAA] destroyer of [more barely audible muffled speech] [yet more Hans Zimmer BWWWAAAAA]

• Haha 3

I have both Interstellar and Tenet on UHD that still need a viewing. My receiver crapped out on me a few weeks ago and now I’m waiting for my new receiver (Denon x6700 with HDMI fix) to arrive. I have so many movies I need to watch for the first time and and I want my surround sound damnit. I know Nolan doesn’t like Atmos and only 5.1 sound, but I’m gonna let the receiver fix that. He sure loves is LFE for the movies, and so do I 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Christopher Nolan/Universal Pictures J. Robert Oppenheimer film to debut in July 2023 with Cillian Murphy in title role
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Brian changed the title to Update: Christopher Nolan/Universal Pictures J. Robert Oppenheimer film to debut in July 2023 with Cillian Murphy in title role. Damon and Downey Jr. added