Gran Turismo 7 (March 4, 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

After a year of trolling, I can say I'm happy for you. :) 

Should be exciting as hell. I'm honestly impressed that Horizon/Elden Ring/GT7 came out one after another week after week.

Yep after this month @Biggie can throw his PS5 in the garbage. All he wanted was Elden Ring and GT and he's made it!

Game Information

Game Title: Gran Turismo 7

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Mar 4, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 4, 2022)

Developer: Polyphony Digital

Publisher: PlayStation

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 88 average - 96% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5

Gran Turismo 7 is, indeed, the most perfect fan service we've seen across all video games to date, and that makes it difficult not to love.

GamingBolt - 10 / 10

It will be hard to find a game that is as lovingly crafted as Gran Turismo 7. The king of racers is back, and what a triumphant return it is.

Gfinity - 5 / 5

The love that Polyphony Digital has for motor racing seeps through in every pixel, and the final product is a genre-defining victory lap for the Gran Turismo series.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a wonderful celebration of 25 years as the top racing franchise. It looks stunning, and is filled with so much to do.

Hardcore Gamer - 5 / 5

Gran Turismo 7 is the quintessential Gran Turismo and the best of what the series has accrued over its 25 years of existence.

Next Gen Base - 10 / 10

A car enthusiast’s dream playground and welcoming to casuals, whatever your skill level, it’s hard not to love Gran Turismo 7. It's tough to find a genuine fault. Every facet is so expertly crafted. Charming, fun and often stunning, Gran Turismo 7 is the series at its best. The real driving simulator is back.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 10 / 10

The Gran Turismo franchise has always impressed me, from 1997 until today. Kazunori Yamauchi had a vision in 1992 of a game that would look and feel just like real life. Gran Turismo 7 hits that mark dead on with the sights, the sounds, the physics, and the animations of real-world driving and real-world racing.

TheGamer - 5 / 5

Gran Turismo 7 is hard to fault. I can't think of another racing game I've accidentally played for 5 hours straight without leaving the couch. The racing is thrilling, the cars are a joy to drive, the tracks are magnificent, and the career is well structured. I haven't even talked about the photo mode, which is one of the best I've seen in a game. All the screenshots in this review were taken with it. I haven't fully dipped into multiplayer yet either, which has the potential to spawn a thriving competitive scene. There's just so much, and I can't imagine wanting to play another racing sim any time soon.

VG247 - 5 / 5

After the now customary delays, Gran Turismo 7 is here, in time to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the series and a celebration is a fair way of looking at it – it feels like a real ‘best of’ all things Gran Turismo

COGconnected - 96 / 100

Gran Turismo 7 is the best driving game I’ve ever played. Period. It’s not a hardcore simulation of the likes of Assetto Corsa Competizione or iRacing, but for my money, I now prefer Gran Turismo. It’s the ultimate celebration of something that’s part of Kazunori Yamauchi’s very being and an incredible effort to bring his love for automobiles to the world. See you on the starting line.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.4 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 brings the best experience on track of the series, in an episode which links together the past, the present and the future of the franchise. Despite some minor flaws in terms of AI and collisions, the balance between simulation and accessibility is simply perfect, and DualSense is incredible. In terms of content, career mode shines and let players discover the history of automotive with love and passion, while multiplayer and custom events will let live Gran Turismo 7 for long long time.

INVEN - Korean - 9.3 / 10

'Gran Turismo 7', one of the most legendary racing games in the world, broke the wall of simulation games to come one step closer to beginners. Especially,  GT cafe system is guiding new comers how to play the game and bringing useful knowledge about cars to make them drawn to cars. The intermediates would be satisfied with its flexible tuning system, competitive Sport Mode they can fall in thrilling racing, and fantastic graphics with ray tracing. It must be the essential game for car enthusiasts.

Atomix - Spanish - 92 / 100

Gran Turismo 7 is a love letter for all GT fans. Finally, Polyphony Digital is launching the game the we have been waiting for.

AusGamers - 9.1 / 10

After all, videogames serve to fulfil fantasy, right? So why not let players jump between stage rallies and supercars; between the garage and the showroom?.

Cerealkillerz - German - 9.1 / 10

Let's make it short and simple: Gran Turismo 7 is amazing. It looks superb, plays differently with every car in a realistic way and keeps the failure of Gran Turismo Sport way behind it. If you are even slightly interested in racing simulations, there is no way around Gran Turismo 7

AnaitGames - Spanish - 9 / 10

With this new entry, Polyphony Digital proves why Gran Turismo is a dream come true for car enthusiasts, even with its flaws and odd decisions as a race simulator.

Areajugones - Spanish - 9 / 10

‎Gran Turismo 7 is the pinnacle of simulators, and no longer just driving. In addition, the game goes a step further and borders on eroticism in the motor world: observing the cars, taking pictures of them and seeing relaxing cinematics of these driving is not only part of Gran Turismo 7, but is one of its fundamental pillars. In short, the game is a perfect cocktail of elegance and competition.‎

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5

Gran Turismo 7 is a love letter to people who enjoy cars in general. Its next-gen capabilities create an immersive sense of realism down to driving on its expansive list of tracks.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is the definitive driving experience of this generation, but may a lot to take in for the casual player

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is essentially a celebration of the series’ 25th anniversary, melding features old and new and presenting it on next-generation hardware. Polyphony Digital’s sheer love of cars and obsession with detail flows through every single part of this game. The forced main campaign could be a turn off for some, but it is countered by their use of subtle, innovative haptic feedback and the experience of driving these legendary cars around legendary tracks. There is a method to the madness. The world is quickly moving on from fossil fuels and combustion engines, but there is no denying that these are some beautiful machines… and this is a beautiful game.

Daily Star - 4.5 / 5

Overall, the best racing game on the PS5.

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 seeks to ignite a passion for vehicles. From exceptional realism to the numbing amount of customization options, GT7 is an ocean of driving simulation that does its best to ensure newcomers won't drown but enthusiasts will be happily swept up.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is -FINALLY- what we have been waiting for for over 8 years.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Whether you want to learn about the history of some of the most iconic cars in the world, take stunning photographs, complete your car collection or race others online, this is the game for you.

Gamersky - Chinese - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a summary of the development of the Gran Turismo series over the past 25 years, with all the core strengths of the series retained and further polished. Kazunori Yamauchi has created a "car city" with plenty of game content and fun for the players. His love for car culture is reflected everywhere in the game. Although Gran Turismo 7 does not have many surprises and innovations, it is worthy of the title of "synthesizer of 25-years-old Gran Turismo series".

GamesBeat - 4.5 / 5

More than how it looks or plays, I appreciate Gran Turismo 7’s vibe. It’s just pleasant. I know I can start the game, play through a few races or license tests, and make some meaningful progress. Of course, if you’re looking for something a bit more competitive, that’s there with multiplayer. I was even surprised to see the game offer a two-player splitscreen mode that ran well. But that’s not how I want to play Gran Turismo 7. I’m just here for the vibes and some relaxing rides, and GT7 is happy to let me enjoy it on my own terms.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5

Everything that made GT Sport so good, plus everything that made early Gran Turismo games so good. A simply stunning driving game and a superb showcase for PS5.

Glitched Africa - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 celebrates car culture in the best way with its superb racing, a large selection of cars and fantastic emphasis on car manufacturers.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

Polyphony Digital comes back to the roots with a driving simulator that feels better than ever by doing the same as ever, thanks to a very unique style. It has some little issues in terms of balance, but, inside the tracks and beyond them, it is a worthy successor of 25 years of Gran Turismo legacy.

IGN - 9 / 10

Mixing the original GT's trendsetting format with GT Sport's stern but very successful focus on competitive online racing, Gran Turismo 7 makes a few errors but is a potent podium performance from developer Polyphony Digital.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9 / 10

Kazunori Yamauchi and Polyphony Digital bring together 25 years of experience in the Gran Turismo franchise and all the benefits of PlayStation 5 to deliver Gran Turismo 7. An incredible game that borders on perfection.

JVL - French - 18 / 20

That the wait was long, but what a pleasure to find the license at this level. Gran Turismo 7 offers us an absolutely gargantuan menu that rhymes competition with passion. If this opus still drags some 25-year-old flaws (collisions, damage), it reconnects with its glorious past with its exhilarating gaming sensations, bluffing graphics and a plethoric content that promises an incomparable lifespan.

M3 - Swedish - 4.5 / 5

With the best parts from Gran Turismo Sport and a comeback for the classic Gran Turismo fighting shark, the seventh part of the Gran Turismo series promises plenty. Add to that new game modes, even better control and magical lighting effects. Although the realistic surroundings and a couple of small competitions can make it tedious on the track sometimes, Gran Turismo 7 is the most complete and elaborate car game until then.

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

Making full use of PlayStation 5's DualSense controller to convey an incredibly deep and satisfying driving model, everything from weather to reflected sound effects have been modelled to perfection – making Gran Turismo 7 easily the world's most complete driving game.

PPE.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a very safe title, based on a well-known concept, but offering a lot of fun for fans of the series. This is an automotive encyclopedia of knowledge, which, despite the lack of revolution and heating of known elements, will attract fans of four wheels for long hours. And I missed it a lot.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Gran Turismo 7 is a love letter to motorsport history and an impeccable technical showcase. The franchise's traditional formula gets good improvements, but it's still extremely true to its roots. One of the best racing series ever shines spectacularly on the PS5, but ends up being somewhat technically limited in its PS4 version.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

Though Gran Turismo 7 certainly carries the baggage of some of the weaker elements from previous games, a steadfast return to the generous single-player campaign offerings of old, together with a significantly upgraded visual presentation and most importantly a deeply felt love for cars that bleeds through every aspect of the game all ensures that one single statement is true - Gran Turismo is back.

PowerUp! - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a triple threat: it's one of the best sounding, most luscious-looking and phenomenal feeling racers I've ever played in my life

Press Start - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a car-lover's dream. Whether you love cars already or have just started your journey into being a car person, GT7 wants to welcome you to the community with open arms, get you up to speed and give you everything it can to help you enjoy cars in whatever ways it's able. It has a wealth of car history to share, incredible feeling driving and some of the best visuals I've seen in a driving game. There are some cars I wish were included (Mount Panorama and no Aussie V8 Supercars? Come on, mate!) and the always online requirement might be a deal breaker for some, but even with all that Gran Turismo 7 is the friendliest, most approachable driving simulation I've played with all the depth of options you'd expect for seasoned car enthusiasts.

Push Square - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a game for everyone: the racing enthusiasts, the novices, and anyone in between.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

The presentation is a bit odd in 2022 and I would have liked to get ray-traced visuals in gameplay, but it doesn’t detract from the high you can get when shaving a few tenths on a flying lap at the Nordschleife. Sure, modern gamers may tell you that Nathan Drake or Aloy are the true mascots of the PlayStation brand, but Sony already had its Mario back in 1997 in the form of the Nissan R32 Skyline GT-R.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 brings the saga back to a balance between single player and multiplayer, with a rich, dense campaign with a relaxed but constant and satisfying progression. The control system is spectacular, enhanced by DualSense, while the lighting and attention to detail do justice to the potential of PlayStation 5. Pure automotive culture.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 takes everything that was excellent about GT Sport's fantastic multiplayer, high fidelity cars and circuits and innovative Scapes mode, and builds up a more traditional GT experience around it. It's got its own quirky new ideas which will likely be passing diversions to most, but at its core, this is the Gran Turismo you know and love. Broad and accessible, but with depth, nuance and competitive racing for those keen to find it.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 9 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 returns to the roots of the series and offers us everything we loved in the previous main parts and extended with distinctive fees and a new gameplay elements.

We Got This Covered - 4.5 / 5

Gran Turismo 7 is a "real-driving simulation" revelation, taking full advantage of the PlayStation 5's power and the DualSense controller to create one of the best racing games ever.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 89 / 100

Playstation 4 and 5 consoles finally got the Gran Turismo game they deserved. Despite its minor flaws, the real driving simulation series is back to its roots with Gran Turismo 7.

GamePro - German - 88 / 100

Gran Turismo 7 is an excellent racing game thanks to its huge scope, excellent driving physics and great technical implementation.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8.7 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a great racing game. It's clear that Polyphony Digital learned from the missteps of Gran Turismo Sport to deliver a game that, in conjunction with being an extremely solid experience, is the return to its roots that fans were hoping for. While it's certainly not an arcade experience, it does enough to be approachable for those who are not experts but want a deep racing game with a lot of content.

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 isn’t the second coming of racing games, and it doesn’t need to be. It still captures that feeling of spending hours and hours admiring your garage and flipping through car facts from a few of the best entries in the series, and still feels like a big-budget racer.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a car culture experience that no car enthusiast should miss.

Game Revolution - 8.5 / 10

From its photo-realism to its pinpoint handling and extensive amount of additional features, Gran Turismo 7 is another first-party PS5 success and a new benchmark for performance and visuals on the console.

GamingTrend - 85 / 100

Gran Turismo 7 is an excellent racing simulator for those looking for a more realistic experience or to learn more about cars. There's a ton of things to do, cars to collect, and tracks to master with the game's great driving model. While you can feel the sheer passion the developers have for the subject, it does come with some flaws like very slow and tedious progression gates and persistent microtransaction prompts.

Geeks & Com - French - 8.5 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is trying to catch up after the disappointment of the last opus with the return of players' favourite modes as well as the addition of some new features. The PS5 version offers a higher image refresh rate in addition to being closer to Polyphony Digital's goal of providing a realistic experience. Unfortunately, the behaviour of artificial intelligence, the absence of real visual damage, sometimes very low quality textures in the backgrounds, the omnipresence of menus and the feeling of repetitiveness that sets in quickly do not allow the title to rise as high as its competitors. The game should, however, satisfy a large majority of first-time fans who will undoubtedly feel nostalgic for the good old days of the franchise.

Worth Playing - 8.5 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is a smorgasbord of esoteric ideas that create a more than solid racing title. The forced history lessons can break the flow of going in and out of races for some, while others might hate that there was so much hype around elements that feel superfluous since they don't affect the races. The campaign flow is excellent for those looking for granular structure, but others will hate how it locks some prominent modes for too long. The actual racing remains absolutely brilliant, however, to the point where some players will ignore the quirks because the act of playing is excellent enough for those of all skill levels to enjoy. For those who have waited this long for another mainline entry, Gran Turismo 7 is a grand reward for their patience.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5

Gran Turismo 7 lives up to its "real driving simulator" tagline by offering a comprehensive and educational racing game.

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

Every new Gran Turismo game always feels like a truly important event. There is no other game series that treats its subject matter with such care and respect. Gran Turismo 7 is a must buy for every person who can appreciate racing as a sport.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 takes all the good bits of Gran Turismo's past, shakes it up, and adds a sprinkling of car culture to sweeten the deal.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 is far from being the best racing sim out there, but it's a love letter to cars, and it shines in more ways than just pure racing. It's about collecting and highlighting the beauty of cars. A must-have for every petrolhead.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

If you searched for synonyms to racing simulator genre, Gran Turismo 7 would surely

come up first. New game plays it safe, and you get exactly what you pay for. Stunning
graphics, great simulation mechanics, huge amount of car alterations and humongous number of cars themselves. There is lot to see and experience but unfortunately a lot to read too. After many races I can tell you that career is good enough, but Music Rally was my jam (pun intended).

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

After the reboot of Gran Turismo Sport, GT7 cashes on that and presents a richer experience than GTS that stands with the series' best.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

A truly comprehensive racing game.

Telegraph - 4 / 5

PlayStation's famous racer goes back to basics in this authentic and idiosyncratic joy ride

New Game Network - 78 / 100

Gran Turismo 7 continues to go about its brand of racing simulation in a uniquely eccentric and elegant way. It looks and handles as great as ever, though there is not much novelty here to get excited about, and the always-online requirement remains unwarranted.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.6 / 10

Gran Turismo 7 embraces the career mode and presents a whole new aesthetics for menus and competitions. Nevertheless, it is a game that refuses the modernity and chooses to be identical to the first GT in terms of IA inconsistency.

Gadgets 360 - 7 / 10

For those looking for a dedicated simulation racer where you can spend hours tuning and practising to get the best out of the car and yourself, Gran Turismo 7 will no doubt appeal. But I don't think it's for racing game enthusiasts, it's for racing enthusiasts.

GameByte - 7 / 10

I said at the top of this review that Gran Turismo 7 does its best to straddle the gap between casual and hardcore racers. While it certainly does a great job of onboarding newcomers warmly, it does so at the risk of boring its more eager fanbase. That makes Gran Turismo 7 a difficult game to recommend unless you love cars and their culture with your whole heart.

Kakuchopurei - 70 / 100

Polyphony Digital has definitely succeeded in making a racing simulator that even a casual gamer can enjoy. It still has a few issues, but if you're willing to put some effort into your racing skills, the game can be enjoyable and satisfying.

VGC - 3 / 5

If you can suffer through the clunky menus, endless dull dialogue and 100 visits to the cafe, then there’s an excellent racing game somewhere hidden in Gran Turismo 7.

ACG - Unscored

"A fantastic racer with a tremendous amount of content, excellent tracks, and a massive care list"

Ars Technica - Unscored

GT7 will try to tempt you to open your real wallet to buy in-game credits a little more frequently than you might like. Each time you buy a car or a tuning part in the game, the dialogue includes an option to top up your credits via the PlayStation Store.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Polyphony Digital has created something beautiful to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Gran Turismo and it is unequivocally one of the most realized racing simulators out there.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Unscored

Gran Turismo 7 its the celebration of the saga and an extraordinary tribute to auto industry. But for all its perfection, we can't look away from some inconveniences surrounding its most exciting and immersive moments, that shows an experience a little bit stuck in the past.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Polyphony Digital celebrates 25 years of its series with the return of the campaign and the most focussed and finessed Gran Turismo to date.

Eurogamer.pt - Portuguese - Essential

The culmination of 25 years dedicated to the automotive world. Polyphony Digital breaks barriers, goes further and manages to surpass itself

GameOnAUS - Loved

Gran Turismo 7 is a technological marvel and a top-gear motorsports game to boot. It’s a love-letter to car culture, automotive technology, design, and history, and if you have any sort of interest in cars or racing games, this should be very much in the digital garage that is your PlayStation’s storage drive.

GameXplain - Loved

Video Review - Quote not available

One More Game - Buy

Gran Turismo 7 is more than just a racing game, it is a celebration of the automotive industry, blending superb gameplay and stunning views while showcasing the rich history of the scene. You can tell that Gran Turismo 7 was created by a team that has a deep passion and love for cars and it shows in every aspect of the game.

Newcomers are more than welcome to hop for a ride across its beginner-friendly settings and can proceed through a sizeable chunk of content even without engaging the incredibly detailed sim-related customization options. Gran Turismo 7 offers a wide range of features for both newbies and veterans, making it arguably one of the most accessible and approachable entries in the series.

Operation Sports - Unscored

Racing fans have waited a long time for the arrival of Gran Turismo 7, and I believe the wait was worth it.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Aging gracefully, Polyphony’s racing series has never seemed more like itself

Unboxholics - Greek - Worth your time

Gran Turismo 7 not only celebrates the 25th anniversary of the series, but celebrates car culture as a whole. Despite some minor flaws, Polyphony Digital created a "must-have" game for PlayStation owners who have even a little bit of interest in the racing genre.

• Like 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gran Turismo 7 (March 4, 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
24 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

You start the game by doing some music race, but if you also do the 2nd race you get to hear Idris Elba in a song.

Also, I sure would like to skip this opening movie. 

I skipped the music race game after it made me complete the first one. I have no interest in that. But the game is fucking fantastic. The world hub is cool af. Won gold in my first 2 races after buying my used Honda Fit. Licenses just opened up but I got work early am so I’ll pick up there tomorrow night. So glad we finally got a proper GT game. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

@Biggie I also started with the Honda Fit. Blew out the first race last night and sadly had to go to bed. The driving felt really good though. I feel like the game has a better sense of speed on curves and corners. The dualsense triggers feel great too. 

Yes the duelsense is great! Also trying the license test again and again is super convenient with the fast PS5 load times. Loving this shit. 

1 hour ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Even though I can afford it, I refuse to pay $70 for a game knowing it will be $50 in 30 days. I'll grab this first sale. I wish my wheel worked on ps5

Also with $40 cars.

I'm curious how grindy the economy will be. MS tried this with Forza 6 or 7 (I think it was FM6) and there was a shit storm over it to the point they removed the currency from the game completely.

We'll see if Sony gets a pass.

image-1-11.jpg
WWW.GTPLANET.NET

Gran Turismo has partnered with specialist classic car insurance and valuation company Hagerty, in a collaboration that will see the brand provide real-world, dynamic values...

Lol imagine saving up for a car but the price gets jacked right before you buy it. Sony doing some goofy shit to this legendary series. 

Another thing that’s awesome is the haptic feedback triggers on the DualSense controller. Using them for acceleration and braking feels so right. And the controller let’s you feel bumps, ridges, on the track. They really did an excellent job. Each car has a unique feel all it’s own. And omg the rain effects are legit crazy good. The way things are laid out it keeps the games progression feeling fun. The PS5’s quick load times make attempting the license tests painless. Going for gold has never been more easy or hassle free.  @BloodyHell

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
image-1-11.jpg
WWW.GTPLANET.NET

Gran Turismo has partnered with specialist classic car insurance and valuation company Hagerty, in a collaboration that will see the brand provide real-world, dynamic values...

Lol imagine saving up for a car but the price gets jacked right before you buy it. Sony doing some goofy shit to this legendary series. 

Man I feel so out of touch with this. "Back in my day" you just played and unlocked the cars. So this has some weird exclusive cars that pop up for god awful high prices? Luckily I don't see myself caring about it. 

• True 1