God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Interesting! Maybe so. :thinking: To be fair, giant characters have always been a mainstay in the GoW series... I'm not sure if there's anything sexual about them or Tyr in that clip like there might've been with the Dimitrescu character design? Is there?

Edit: oh shit you're right lol, most of the comments in that tweet thread are comparing him to Dimitrescu. So I'm objectively the odd one out for thinking it was only supposed to convey increased stakes in a boss fight.  I guess that means I just had a sex-negative boomer moment? well shucks 

I think it's just a meme at this point. When Bungie revealed Savathûn during their The Witch Queen stream people were asking how tall she was because she seemed tall, leading them to reveal that's she's 21 feet tall.

• Haha 2

gow-thumbexpertblog-1631261999813.png?wi
WWW.IGN.COM

We got Jackson Crawford, a Norse Mythology Expert & Media Consultant for projects such as Assassin Creed Valhalla and Disney's Frozen, to react to God of War, how it portrays Nordic culture, how authentic God of War's runes are, and more! Jackson deep dives into God of War, looking at how the game digresses and interprets the lore of the Nordic gods, big thanks to him for lending his expertise and if you want to see...

On 9/11/2021 at 7:55 AM, heydude93 said:
gow-thumbexpertblog-1631261999813.png?wi
WWW.IGN.COM

We got Jackson Crawford, a Norse Mythology Expert & Media Consultant for projects such as Assassin Creed Valhalla and Disney's Frozen, to react to God of War, how it portrays Nordic culture, how authentic God...

I really like Jackson Crawford's YouTube channel!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 11:52 PM, heydude93 said:

Interesting! Maybe so. :thinking: To be fair, giant characters have always been a mainstay in the GoW series... I'm not sure if there's anything sexual about them or Tyr in that clip like there might've been with the Dimitrescu character design? Is there?

Edit: oh shit you're right lol, most of the comments in that tweet thread are comparing him to Dimitrescu. So I'm objectively the odd one out for thinking it was only supposed to convey increased stakes in a boss fight.  I guess that means I just had a sex-negative boomer moment? well shucks 

I think the comparisons are mostly a joke.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Compared to a masterpiece like RDR2 there was not much exploration.

I feel like this is some rib at best. :p 

But all seriousness just because it's a decent conversation, RDR2's world is a marvel to behold and explore, but few teams have the resources and size and time to do that. GOW 2018 was the first GOW game where you really were encouraged to explore and could easily return to the main story at any time. It was probably one of my favorite worlds to explore from last gen.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

If by part 1 you mean the first GOW game, then no.

If by part 1 you mean the 2018 game, then the bold = wut. Exploration was a major component of the game.

I meant the 2018 GOW. Pretty closed off from what I remember. It wasn't a linear game but I'd like it to open up more.

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

I meant the 2018 GOW. Pretty closed off from what I remember. It wasn't a linear game but I'd like it to open up more.

Good Christ, no.

The "wide linear" format for GoW 2018 was near-perfect for what the game wanted to accomplish.  The last thing I'd want is for it to become an open world bloatfest like Horizon Zero Dawn or a damned UbiGame.

Even the more constrained open world of Ghost of Tsushima would have far too much padding for God of War.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Good Christ, no.

The "wide linear" format for GoW 2018 was near-perfect for what the game wanted to accomplish.  The last thing I'd want is for it to become an open world bloatfest like Horizon Zero Dawn or a damned UbiGame.

Even the more constrained open world of Ghost of Tsushima would have far too much padding for God of War.

The more I think about it and reading this post...I agree to keep it scaled down. 

I would like to chime in that I love they’re finishing up the story in 2 games. Trilogy’s are vastly overrated. Most game series I’m good after the sequel. By the third game I’m ready for a new story with a larger overhaul to the mechanics than a normal sequel dev cycle would allow. Give me two games, finish up the story you wanna tell. Then shelve the series for a bit so you can come with a way to freshen it up. 

Just now, Brick said:

I wonder where they would go after the Norse story. I know one of the developers said he would be interested in doing Egyptian mythology, although ancient Egypt stuff like that would be thousands of years before the Norse stuff. 

This is a series where the Norse gods are aware of the Hellenic gods and apparently the gods only operate in geographically-defined areas.

I'm pretty sure that a strict adherence to the "realities" of ancient mythology isn't high on the list of priorities :p

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is a series where the Norse gods are aware of the Hellenic gods and apparently the gods only operate in geographically-defined areas.

I'm pretty sure that a strict adherence to the "realities" of ancient mythology isn't high on the list of priorities :p

Yeah I suppose that's true, I'm just thinking more in terms of the state of the world itself, so what Egypt would currently be like. Although I suppose they could play into that if they wanted by having the Egyptian gods bemoan that the people have forgotten about them, and are planning to change that, and Kratos and/or Atreus have to stop them because the gods' plan would wreck chaos on the mortals of Egypt or something. 

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Mythical realms from multiple ideologies exist in this universe in addition to real world locations, and the areas the deities cover would, hypothetically, overlap. So yeah, agreed that how these things fit together seems to only obey the rule of cool which feels like the right call.

I would assume this game will be the game that gets the player use to Kratos not being the God of War in every game. 

I mean, I would love to take Kratos all around the world killing a few gods here and there, but I think maybe the devs want to move past Kratos. This does not mean I want to play as The Boy. 

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Imagine getting bent out of shape about a heavy Thor or a black character in a God of War game. What the fuck.

Simliar to when Idris Elba was announced to play Heimdall and some people questioned a black norse man. But after it came out and he was good they admitted they were wrong.

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Imagine getting bent out of shape about a heavy Thor or a black character in a God of War game. What the fuck.

For the record, Jackson clearly states that the sources don't give any definitive, comprehensive description of Thor, so any representation is fair game :p

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For the record, Jackson clearly states that the sources don't give any definitive, comprehensive description of Thor, so any representation is fair game :p

My knowledge of this is all third / fourth hand, but my recall matches his description; most of these gods aren't described physically all that much. A lot of Thor's behavior would suggest he's prone to excess so this seems perfectly viable.

Honestly any representation that fucks with the way white supremacists view the Norse pantheon is aces with me.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

My knowledge of this is all third / fourth hand, but my recall matches his description; most of these gods aren't described physically all that much. A lot of Thor's behavior would suggest he's prone to excess so this seems perfectly viable.

Your recall is pretty accurate.

One of the primary attributes of Thor from the source texts is his appetite so I'd say that him having a paunch is pretty spot-on!

16 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I would like to chime in that I love they’re finishing up the story in 2 games. Trilogy’s are vastly overrated. Most game series I’m good after the sequel. By the third game I’m ready for a new story with a larger overhaul to the mechanics than a normal sequel dev cycle would allow. Give me two games, finish up the story you wanna tell. Then shelve the series for a bit so you can come with a way to freshen it up. 

I feel like third games always get the most push back. I definitely love this world and lore and characters and want to spend more time with them, like Mimir. But these are bigger games than the originals, so we are spending plenty of time with them.

17 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Your recall is pretty accurate.

One of the primary attributes of Thor from the source texts is his appetite so I'd say that him having a paunch is pretty spot-on!

Didn't Thor drink half the worlds ocean's when he was tricked? I remember that from when I was into mythology as a kid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher Judge says the game was delayed before of him and an injury. Praises Santa Monica:

"💯 in my feels right now. I need to be forthcoming. This has been approved by no one. To the beloved fandom, Ragnarok was delayed because of me. August 2019, I couldn’t walk. Had to have back surgery, both hips replaced, and, knee surgery. They waited for me too rehab… No threats, no ,” who do you think you are?” Nothing but love and support. And 
@SonySantaMonica has never said a word about the delay, and what caused it. Studios are assholes, but this company from top to bottom, should give us hope. What they did for the crew is way more… That I can’t talk about, but I’ve said to all involved, it’s not he classiest thing that ive EVER heard about in this business.  Everyone involved in the GofW franchise puts their hearts and souls in every frame you see. I want thank everyone that’s has allowed me to play… And laugh, and love, and cry, without judgement, but with unconditional support and love, in this thing of ALL OF OURS ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Last thing. Barlog told me @Tribeca that he wouldn’t be directing sequel. I quit.(no joke) he said, do you trust me?(yes) He said Eric is a beast. I said he better be… UPDATE, ERIC WILLIAMS is a motherfuckin BEAST!!! @SonySantaMonica"

• 7 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarok - "Accessibility Features Revealed" (PlayStation Blog)