God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

God of War Ragnarök launches on 11.09.2022.

Join Kratos and Atreus on a mythic journey for answers before the prophesied battle that will end the world. All the while, the eyes of Asgard watch their every move...

Find out more:

god-of-war-ragnarok-keyart-01-en-07sep21
PLAY.ST

Join Kratos and Atreus as they explore the mythic Nine Realms in search of answers and allies.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök (09 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: 09 November 2022 release announced, "Father and Son" Cinematic Trailer, Collector's and Jötnar Editions Official Unboxing Video
56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Uh oh. I may try this time to get a ps5 but we'll see. I already blew it with playing Forbidden West on the PS4 Pro. 

Probably should start looking now for a ps5, seems like it will be easier than in November when you are dealing with people prepping for Christmas! If you miss the ps5 for this one I’d just wait for the pro lol.

Also they should have made the title God of War: Father and Son, I like that better. Ragnarok is so generic and already used for other recent popular things like a Marvel movie and a big Assassins Creed expansion also from this year. 

54 minutes ago, stepee said:

Probably should start looking now for a ps5, seems like it will be easier than in November when you are dealing with people prepping for Christmas! If you miss the ps5 for this one I’d just wait for the pro lol.

Also they should have made the title God of War: Father and Son, I like that better. Ragnarok is so generic and already used for other recent popular things like a Marvel movie and a big Assassins Creed expansion also from this year. 

I agree with you on the name being lame. Also, I agree I should actively look for a ps5 now. When do you realistically think a ps5 pro would arrive?

36 minutes ago, stepee said:

Now the question is, can this reach GOTY status in a year that saw the launch of Kirby Forgotten Land?

Joking aside, it definitely will be interesting what wins GOTY with Elden Ring in the mix. This turned out to be a solid year with this release.

49 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

The Last of Us Remake comes out September 2nd, so you have about two months to try and get a PS5 before then. :p

I totally forgot about the remake coming out so quickly. You knew what I meant when I said I wonder when a "new" Naughty Dog game comes out lol 

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

You knew what I meant when I said I wonder when a "new" Naughty Dog game comes out lol 

You said their next game not new one, and technically The Last of Us Remake is their next game. :p But yeah, I knew that you meant their next new game.

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Joking aside, it definitely will be interesting what wins GOTY with Elden Ring in the mix. This turned out to be a solid year with this release.

No it won't, Elden Ring has GoTY locked up, it's a shining achievement in gaming and one of the top 2-3 games of the last decade.

I'm sure ragnarok will be great and fans will be happy and it would probably be goty contender any other year... but not this one.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

No it won't, Elden Ring has GoTY locked up, it's a shining achievement in gaming and one of the top 2-3 games of the last decade.

I'm sure ragnarok will be great and fans will be happy and it would probably be goty contender any other year... but not this one.

Relax. :p

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2022 at 6:17 AM, Paperclyp said:

Oh gosh should I replay the first one? I was kinda banking on a delay lol…

On 7/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, Dodger said:

Sort of want to play GoW again but I've already played through it 3 times and I always stall out at the end game. 

Before vacation I was playing the first GOW again from 05. Gonna go through 2, maybe 3 since I replayed that several years ago, and then 2018. Lfg 

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Before vacation I was playing the first GOW again from 05. Gonna go through 2, maybe 3 since I replayed that several years ago, and then 2018. Lfg 

I've never played 3 or any of the PSP / Vita ones (not sure how many handheld ones there were but they seemed generally well regarded). I have the 3 remaster or whatever from +, I should probably replay that sometime. 

It's so silly to me that there's not an easy way to play them on the PS5. 

On 7/8/2022 at 5:47 PM, Paperclyp said:

I've never played 3 or any of the PSP / Vita ones (not sure how many handheld ones there were but they seemed generally well regarded). I have the 3 remaster or whatever from +, I should probably replay that sometime. 

It's so silly to me that there's not an easy way to play them on the PS5. 

There were two PSP God of War games (there were no Vita ones), God of War: Chains of Olympus and God of War: Ghost of Sparta. They were both remastered and re-released twice on the PS3 both in the God of War: Origins Collection (which is how I played them) and the God of War Saga Collection (though in the Saga collection it was just a voucher download to get the two PSP games I believe, they weren't on the actual bluray discs, unlike Origins collection). They are generally well regarded, and I enjoyed them thoroughly when I played them, though be warned that was 10 years ago. I remember them being short and sweet, basically. The gameplay is good and the controls are tight and responsive, good boss battles, etc. I recommend them. There technically was one mobile God of War game, God of War: Betrayal, but I've never played it and know little about it, though apparently it is canonical. If one wanted to play the games in story chronological order, it would look like this: 

-God of War: Ascension (a PS3 game that was subpar for God of War and not well regarded and put the franchise on ice for 5 years to thankfully reinvent it)

-God of War: Chains of Olympus

-God of War

-God of War: Ghost of Sparta

-God of War: Betrayal (the mobile game)

-God of War II

-God of War III

-God of War (2018)

I recommend all the games heartily except Ascension (haven't played Betrayal).

On 7/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, Greatoneshere said:

There were two PSP God of War games (there were no Vita ones), God of War: Chains of Olympus and God of War: Ghost of Sparta. They were both remastered and re-released twice on the PS3 both in the God of War: Origins Collection (which is how I played them) and the God of War Saga Collection (though in the Saga collection it was just a voucher download to get the two PSP games I believe, they weren't on the actual bluray discs, unlike Origins collection). They are generally well regarded, and I enjoyed them thoroughly when I played them, though be warned that was 10 years ago. I remember them being short and sweet, basically. The gameplay is good and the controls are tight and responsive, good boss battles, etc. I recommend them. There technically was one mobile God of War game, God of War: Betrayal, but I've never played it and know little about it, though apparently it is canonical. If one wanted to play the games in story chronological order, it would look like this: 

-God of War: Ascension (a PS3 game that was subpar for God of War and not well regarded and put the franchise on ice for 5 years to thankfully reinvent it)

-God of War: Chains of Olympus

-God of War

-God of War: Ghost of Sparta

-God of War: Betrayal (the mobile game)

-God of War II

-God of War III

-God of War (2018)

I recommend all the games heartily except Ascension (haven't played Betrayal).

I couldn't finish Ascension. I finished all the others prior to Ascension, but I just couldn't finish Ascension itself. It's weird to find a GOW game boring, but the changes the game made weren't that interesting.

I'd say to @Paperclyp if he ever wanted to play them, or if he just wanted to say screw it and buy the collection PS3, Olympus definitely seems more like a handheld in scope, but it's good enough to enjoy a run. Ghost of Sparta felt more on the level of a PS2 God of War.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I couldn't finish Ascension. I finished all the others prior to Ascension, but I just couldn't finish Ascension itself. It's weird to find a GOW game boring, but the changes the game made weren't that interesting.

I'd say to @Paperclyp if he ever wanted to play them, or if he just wanted to say screw it and buy the collection PS3, Olympus definitely seems more like a handheld in scope, but it's good enough to enjoy a run. Ghost of Sparta felt more on the level of a PS2 God of War.

If they ever made the first two easily accessible on the ps5 I would play those, 3, and MAYYBE one if the handheld ones. I feel bad I never played 3, I’ve heard it’s quite good. 

edit: got a new ssd for my ps5 and installed 3… maybe get to it soon 

10 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

If they ever made the first two easily accessible on the ps5 I would play those, 3, and MAYYBE one if the handheld ones. I feel bad I never played 3, I’ve heard it’s quite good. 

edit: got a new ssd for my ps5 and installed 3… maybe get to it soon 

The OG trilogy is on PS+. 1&2 from the HD collection, 3 is a remaster. Ascension is also there.