God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarok - PlayStation Showcase 2021 Trailer

Can't tell if Atreus is older or not to reflect that his actor has also gotten older (he's definitely hitting puberty given his voice is deeper now). Do we know if there is a time jump, or if it takes place immediately after the first? One of the dwarves does seem to mention something is different with him. Maybe commenting on him growing. 

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

Can't tell if Atreus is older or not to reflect that his actor has also gotten older (he's definitely hitting puberty given his voice is deeper now). Do we know if there is a time jump, or if it takes place immediately after the first? One of the dwarves does seem to mention something is different with him. Maybe commenting on him growing. 

He definitely looks older. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

maybe they’ll do another game where you just play as Loki 

I forgot Krato's son is also named Loki. It'd be cool to play as him in a third game, but if Ragnarok is the finale to the Norse saga, guess that wont happen, or it'll just happen briefly in that one.

I thought God of War had some of the best gameplay of last generation. I always enjoyed GOW combat, but it was hard to argue that [] [] /\ worked anywhere. I loved expanding that skill set using both weapons in the game, and fudging loved the Runic attacks.

tbh, I can't wait to explore the world. GOW was one of my favorite worlds to explore of what released last generation, along with RDR2, Breath of the Wild, and Ghost of Tsushima.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

For real tho, I hope the combat is better. I had tried to replay the previous one, but the combat really wasn't amazing. I love the story, but I wish the gameplay was as good as it. A first big step would to have more boss diversity. 

I thought the gameplay in nuGOW was generally pretty good. My main issues were that I felt a lot of the moves had questionable utility (a lot of them helped reposition Kratos but I played on whatever the hardest initially available difficulty was and I never found those useful / some of them were not helpful for how I liked to fight) which meant that leveling up often felt underwhelming and the camera angle was occasionally REALLY bad.

I think with a little spit and polish they could have something really special.

I mean, I thought GOW was pretty great as well, but the combat is just OK on a second replay. It is kinda dark souls-ish and I never get tired of Dark Souls. I usually beat a Dark Souls game 3-4 times back to back and I enjoy every second of it for the most part. With GOW I didn't get that. My attempt to replay left me bored in combat. 

1 hour ago, heydude93 said:

Given how many Titans Kratos has bodied I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel here.

I think it's more of in response to people (for some reason) being interested in abnormally tall women in games lately, or at least starting with the tall vampire lady in RE8 with people wanted her to step on them. So we had tall vampire mommy for the boys, and now here is tall Norse daddy for the girls.

9 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

But the game won't be designed around that, so you're going to have very long stretches of walking, or long ass elevator rides, between areas.  Which is narratively fine the first time, but gets really old when you want to backtrack.

it’ll be fine 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I think it's more of in response to people (for some reason) being interested in abnormally tall women in games lately, or at least starting with the tall vampire lady in RE8 with people wanted her to step on them. So we had tall vampire mommy for the boys, and now here is tall Norse daddy for the girls.

Interesting! Maybe so. :thinking: To be fair, giant characters have always been a mainstay in the GoW series... I'm not sure if there's anything sexual about them or Tyr in that clip like there might've been with the Dimitrescu character design? Is there?

Edit: oh shit you're right lol, most of the comments in that tweet thread are comparing him to Dimitrescu. So I'm objectively the odd one out for thinking it was only supposed to convey increased stakes in a boss fight.  I guess that means I just had a sex-negative boomer moment? well shucks