Update (11/17): Knights of the Old Republic Remake (yet again) appears to have become one with the Force (per Jeff Grubb)

Commissar SFLUFAN

I've had the original installed on my laptop for years. I should finally play it so I can compare to the remake. Bold of them to go with Playstation as a (timed) console exclusive. Might not be the smartest decision though given that this is Star Wars, one of the most popular and beloved IPs in existence. 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, Paperclyp said:

I wish it were both games. I wonder if it’ll be totally revamped or just redo visual assets and keep the core mechanics. 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:04 PM, Spork3245 said:

Please keep the combat intact.

The rumors I’ve read suggest it will be more like FF7:R, with a more active battle system that pays homage to the original. 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:04 PM, Spork3245 said:

Please keep the combat intact.

As someone who has failed to start the game like 7 times because literally everything about it plays like dated trash pulled from a janky dumpster fire, I respectfully disagree! It would be decades before Bioware began producing combat approaching anything other than "well at least the story's good."

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

As someone who has failed to start the game like 7 times because literally everything about it plays like dated trash pulled from a janky dumpster fire, I respectfully disagree! It would be decades before Bioware began producing combat approaching anything other than "well at least the story's good."

Same. As much as I loved this game as a kid, I've tried to replay this game many times over the years and just get insanely bored.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I will third this. Turn based (sort of?) combat in a Star Wars game? Come on. Give me real time lightsaber and blaster combat, while still giving me control over what my squadmates do ala Mass Effect.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

I will third this. Turn based (sort of?) combat in a Star Wars game? Come on. Give me real time lightsaber and blaster combat, while still giving me control over what my squadmates do ala Mass Effect.

This is truly the best solution and the way I hope they're going. I played KOTOR when it first came out and loved it but didn't play KOTOR 2. I've tried recently and like others have said, it can be boring as fuck.

If they just upgraded it to DA:O combat I would be fine with that too. I enjoyed the combat in the other DA games as well which would work well with remake of KOTOR. But since it isn't being made by bioware who knows what we'll get.  I hope they have a more robust character creator instead of picking a "canonical" main character. I mean, I always go with generic white guy with blue eyes when given the choice but the more options the better. 

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Real-time combat does not suit this game, IMO. the Bioware D&D-style has made both entries “hold up” for me. It’s not an action game, nor should it be, IMO.

As someone who really likes the old school Baldur's Gate (he RPGs, not Dark Alliance) and who has bounced off KOTOR a few times, I don't think BioWare has ever done GREAT home-cooked strategic combat? The isometric RPGs worked because they were based in a stress tested pen and paper system, something like KOTOR always felt too "loose" to me. They seemed to have largely figured it out with Dragon Age Origins only to more or less abandon it by Mass Effect 2.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Real-time combat does not suit this game, IMO. the Bioware D&D-style has made both entries “hold up” for me. It’s not an action game, nor should it be, IMO.

I actually think adopting the FF7R combat style is a better match for KOTOR than it is for FF7 and I really like the FF7R approach!

I think it's a better match because original KOTOR was real-time with pause and cooldowns between each action and the FF7R combat is exactly that with that addition that in between the cool downs you control regular action-like attacks. The trick is to make it so that you need to be doing both to succeed: both regular combat and issuing commands with the pause whenever you get the chance, and I think FF7R does a good job showing that you can strike that balance. It also allows for a bit more flair in the fights, and Star Wars lightsaber battles were always meant to be flashy.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And does Aspyr inspire confidence? I mean their re-issues have been fine but they aren't someone I expect to make a jaw dropping game from.

I'd have to think about that one. Although if I have to think about it, it's certainly not a "you got this" situation :p 

16 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It's an RPG. I've never had a problem replaying it beyond it CTD on my ultrawide. 

I don't know why people think "RPG" has to be synonymous with "plays like dogshit and is actively unfun," because that simply isn't the case. Divinity Original Sin is an RPG. Tales of Arise is an RPG. They both play amazingly well. KOTOR is a dysfunctional, clunky, ugly mess that I bet 99% of people without nostalgia (either for KOTOR specifically or games that play VERY similarly from the same era) have to fight to enjoy to any degree.

A game can be an RPG and fun. It's possible! Bioware specifically was total dogshit at dealing with combat until Mass Effect Andromeda, which is also when they forgot how to do the rest of the video game properly, so I guess for them it really is an either/or.

• True 1

I loved KOTOR’s combat back in the day and the thought of the remake changing things is a little disappointing, but it’s pretty undeniable that it would be dated in this day and age. I’m fine with changing it so long as it keeps the spirit of the D20 system. No reason to bemoan a modern take on it.