Alan Wake Remastered (5 October 2021), update: new interview with Remedy discusses lack of ray-tracing and HDR

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, stepee said:

This seems more like a good remaster for console only people to get a good resolution and 60fps along with some extra new bells and whistles, but nothing exciting if you already have Alan Wake on pc. Just looking at the minimum and recommended requirements, it doesn’t seem like this is pushing that much, which makes it an extra shame it seems there is no ray tracing.

They should have just called it Alan Wake "Full price backwards comparability update"

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

They should have just called it Alan Wake "Full price backwards comparability update"

Cmon it looks like the full pc version they get now! But yeah disappointing, I was hoping they would use this to show off their tech after Control but it does just seem to be a cheap cash grab. RT could have made this special.

I never played American Nightmare, just never got around to it tho I own it. I’ll just look forward to playing that on the deck as a new portable Alan Wake game instead.

Was there more to American Nightmare than the horde mode? That was back in the wonderful days of Live Arcade when every game had a demo and you could try before you buy. I played what little they offered but it was basically just horde mode so i never bothered with the full game.

EDIT: Should've been included in the AW remaster.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Was there more to American Nightmare than the horde mode? That was back in the wonderful days of Live Arcade when every game had a demo and you could try before you buy. I played what little they offered but it was basically just horde mode so i never bothered with the full game.

EDIT: Should've been included in the AW remaster.

Yeah, it was a full story campaign expansion, like the iki island expansion for Ghosts, but more separated as it’s own thing.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake Remastered - October 5 release on PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS), update: 7 minutes of 4K gameplay footage

Game Information

Game Title: Alan Wake Remastered

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Oct 5, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 5, 2021)
  • PC (Oct 5, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Oct 5, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Oct 5, 2021)

Developer: Remedy Entertainment

Publisher: Epic Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 81 average - 86% recommended

Critic Reviews

Stevivor - 10 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is a remasterpiece. I caught myself audiably saying, “man, I love this game” over and over while playing. I’ve dipped back in to Alan Wake’s American Nightmare to continue on, and I have a feeling I’ll be scheduling another replay of Control when this silly season quiets down. Remedy’s universe has captured my heart; Remastered certainly holds its own in 2021, but also serves as an impressive reminder of how far the studio has grown since 2010.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Although some visual and design elements feel a bit dated, Alan Wake Remastered is the definitive version of an all-time classic horror game.

GamePitt - 9 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered looks and feels like a 2021 game, despite technically being 11 years old with a new coat of paint. The gameplay is solid and still holds up today, the story is interesting and keeps you hooked, and the modern visual upgrades enhance the already thick and creepy atmosphere. I’m annoyed I overlooked this game upon its initial launch, but I’m also glad that I got to experience it at its very best on the PlayStation 5 – highly recommend for existing fans and those who have never played it before.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is a definite improvement in the visual department, offering the same great story and intense gameplay throughout.

KeenGamer - 9 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered introduces a surreal and atmospheric story to a new generation, and provides a nostalgic retelling for veteran fans. Find out if the survival horror gameplay is still fun, and if the enhanced visuals are worth the price tag in this review.

Multiplayer First - 9 / 10

Outside of the lack of the American Nightmare DLC, Alan Wake Remastered is without a question the definite way to play Alan Wake. Improved performance coupled with immensely improved visuals makes the journey back into Bright Falls well worth taking again for fans. And if you’re one of the many who are new the IP, well get ready for one incredible experience.

Pure Xbox - 9 / 10

If you've never played Alan Wake, this is the best possible way to experience the game. For anyone who loves horror or Remedy's other titles, there's a ton to unpack here with an engaging narrative and stellar gameplay. The remastered enhancements bolster the game even further, giving it a place in today's gaming world, and while the gameplay doesn't perhaps hold up as well as it did in 2010, Alan Wake Remastered is still as joyous as it was back then and a perfect treat for the Halloween season.

Rely On Horror - 9 / 10

We take a deeper look at Alan Wake Remastered and compare and contrast this updated edition with the original 2010 version.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9 / 10

Alan Wake, a great psychological thriller from 2010, is back with remastered visuals and the addition od its expansions, and it's still a treat.

Slant Magazine - 4.5 / 5 stars

Only the human character models and their clunky facial animations suffer from a lack of realism compared to the stunningly detailed environments, and this remaster’s lack of ray tracing and HDR are odd for a game that boasts not only strong light effects but also makes both light and dark such an integral part of the gaming experience. Regardless, while Alan Wake Remastered doesn’t substantially alter the twisted tale of the writer and the dark forces that bind him, there’s enough here that connects to the events in Control and it’s Alan Wake-centered AWE DLC episode to makes the return trip to Bright Falls a worthwhile one.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 9 / 10

‎Alan Wake Remastered is the tortured writer's return to the video game industry, and through the big door, too. Thanks to this more than remarkable remastering, we can enjoy the main story and its DLCs in full. With a plot that catches from the first moment, full of mystery and terror, through a fun gameplay to rage, and an excellent atmosphere, we find one of the essential titles of this year 2021. We just need to pray, and wait for Remedy to finally make a sequel to this authentic classic.‎

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Fans of Control or those simply curious about who ‘that Alan Wake guy’ is would do well to pick this remastered edition up. At a solid asking price, it’s a fantastic narrative experience that’s worth playing even with the janky older controls, while returning fans will get a kick out of reliving the experience on modern hardware.

Atomix - Spanish - 88 / 100

Alan Wake Remastered is a much profound work that you may think. The change in engine and all the improvements, makes it a great return to Bright Falls.

Digital Chumps - 8.8 / 10

All that said, Alan Wake Remastered is fine remaster of a great game. Alan Wake has aged well and still offers a compelling thriller story with some fun gameplay to keep you entertained for a dozen or fifteen hours. Whether you missed the game way back when it first came out, or just haven’t played it in a decade, it’s a worthy addition to any collection.

VGN - Italian - 8.7 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered, as Agent Cooper would say, is like a great cup of coffee, of the black one, and served hot; however, you will have to be a coffee lover to be able to fully appreciate it. Remastered or not, the original game was also great at the time and in this version it can also be appreciated on Sony consoles after the end of the previous exclusivity due to the collaboration between Microsoft and Remedy.

BaziCenter - Persian - 8.5 / 10

If you look at Alan Wake Remastered as a brand new game that you never played before, you'll definitely have some good time with this psychological thriller, but if you already played the original version then don't expect any significant changes as the 2 versions are basically the same.

Gamefa - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is one of the best survival horror games of the eighth and ninth generations that you can experience.

GamingTrend - 85 / 100

Alan Wake is a gold standard when it comes to telling an incredible story, and nothing has changed with that in Alan Wake Remastered. The gameplay still feels pretty awesome, even if it sometimes shows its age, but nothing about that detracts from one of the best games of the last decade which feels at home, for the most part, in 2021. Visually, this game is taken to new heights, and even if it doesn't look or play as good as Control, Alan Wake Remastered, like the Bioshock Collection before, will leave players remembering that wonderful day in May of 2010 when they dove into Cauldron Lake for the first time. Or is it an ocean?

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 85 / 100

It's by no means a technical wonder, but its "lifting" is enough to keep up with current standards. Story and atmosphere are kept unaltered for a good reason: they still are tremendously engaging.

Infinite Start - 8.5 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered does a good job standing the test of time. While combat has aged a little bit, Remedy Entertainment’s exemplary storytelling will keep you interested. For these reasons and more it’s easy to suggest Alan Wake Remastered to fans and newcomers alike. Especially with Remedy Entertainment looking to expand this world and it’s important to know how things began.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 8.5 / 10

Up until that bizarre glitch, enjoying Alan Wake Remastered was like the best kind of deja vu. Muscle memory steered me toward the hidden caches, triggered reminders to backtrack just a little here and there or look around that corner for collectibles. Alan's somewhat stiff voice, the ancient rockers, Barry-all of these things, campy as they were, welcomed me home. Those cold waters of Cauldron Lake sure are impossible to escape.

PlayStation Universe - 8.5 / 10

Despite a few ageing visuals and dodgy mechanics, Alan Wake is just as captivating and memorable as it was 11 years ago. With satisfying combat, a brilliantly-paced story, and fantastic setting, Remedy's horror-thriller is absolutely worth the punt if you're a fan of the studio's more recent output or just have a curious interest in horror.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is a prime example of if it isn't broken, don't fix it. The story, and the way it's told is truly timeless, and it's a game that everyone should experience. Some of its design might be stuck in the past, but none of it ever feels detrimental to the overall experience, and the visual facelift just makes the experience that much better. Whether you're a new fan of Remedy's work, or a long-time player, there's never been a better excuse to visit or return to Bright Falls.

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10

Barring some antiquated gameplay elements from a decade ago, Alan Wake Remastered is a stellar facelift for a beloved action-horror thriller experience.

Wccftech - 8.5 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is the perfect way for PlayStation 5 users to experience the story of Alan Wake. However, players looking for a refreshing experience might find themselves with a bit too much of the same thing that's been seen in previous versions of the game. At the end of the day, I am recommending this game for what it is over what the remaster offers.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.4 / 10

Alan Wake: Remastered, although a bit didactic in the narrative and frayed in the gameplay, is still an entertaining video game full of charm.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.3 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is the prime example of a video game that has aged extremely well. Even today, the gameplay and the exciting storyline are more than impressive. Although you can't quite keep up with Control graphically, the idyllic town of Brightfalls shines in an acceptable shine. If you also consider the price, then Alan Wake Remastered is a must for all fans of the genre, whether connoisseurs or newcomers.

MondoXbox - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered brings back a true cult with renewed and valid graphics, with the plot that remains the highlight of the game and a gameplay that is still very compelling. Recommended especially for those who have never played the original title.

Worth Playing - 8.2 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is exactly what it says in the title, and that is a good thing. Alan Wake has received a thorough and clean remaster that doesn't compromise its original look and vision but enhances the gameplay by using all of the PS5's central features, including fast loading times and DualSense feedback. Its story and gameplay, while not perfect, still hold up well today. There is no story-driven game quite like Alan Wake, and being able to revisit this Xbox 360 classic on the PS5 is a dream come true - especially since this likely means that we will get that long-promised sequel.

AltChar - 8 / 10

Over a decade since the original dropped on Xbox 360, Remedy Entertainment's thriller-horror Alan Wake still has the capacity to outshine modern horror games that rely on cheap jump scares, leaving aside the most important aspect of a true horror story - creating an eerie atmosphere with excellent writing, story and characters.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is yet another classic gaming experience that has been given a new lease on life.

Cultured Vultures - 8 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered mostly improves on an already excellent horror shooter experience, introducing a genre icon to a brand new audience.

DASHGAMER.com - 8 / 10

a game that attained critical acclaim off its incredible narrative, and sensational delivery with an unconventional melding of different genre's Alan Wake deservedly cemented itself in gaming history as one of action-adventure's most alluring.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

But I’m not ready to let this one go yet. I waited more than 10 years to finally play Alan Wake, and now that I’ve seen the credits roll, I can’t get it out of my mind. It’s firmly sunk its teeth into me, and like with many of the other greats, I’ll be returning to this world again and again for years to come.

EGM - 8 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered does what a good remaster should. It honors the original game's artistic direction while enhancing it with modern technology, specifically in the form of volumetric lighting. Its lack of American Nightmare as part of the package is disappointing to say the least, but fans of Remedy's current work would do well to take a trip to Bright Falls, whether they're returning or visiting for the first time.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

Well worth revisiting over a decade later to see how your theories hold up. This is a great game to discuss with friends – a book-club experience for gamers

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

After finding out how deep the dark water goes, Alan Wake left us with not a lake, but an ocean of questions. And revisiting the Bright Falls through Alan Wake Remastered feels like a great way to read a certain old and dusted manuscript. Especially now, when the writer's journey through the night will seemingly continue at last.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Alan Wake still shines in a modern landscape thanks to its unique story and intoxicating atmosphere, and the remastered visuals modernize it just in time for Remedy's inevitable sequel.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

If you’ve never played Alan Wake before and love spooky games with strong stories and plenty of action, consider this remaster a must-have. Thanks to its upgraded visuals, ardent Alan Wake fans are likely to want to pick it up, too, and they won’t be disappointed. This is a game that has stood the test of time, and now being available on more formats than ever before, it’s time for it to step into the light and truly be seen.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Creepy atmosphere, fantastic combat, and clever storytelling make Alan Wake's quest thrilling from beginning to end.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered easily stands on its own among modern, similar games due to its exceptional design, tight execution, and handful of technical improvements.

INVEN - Korean - 8 / 10

The only thing changes in Alan Wake Remaster is its improved graphic visuals. And players once again fall in Bright Falls which haven't changed a bit. It is old but fascinating if you have never entered there.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 80 / 100

With a remaster that leaves something to be desired with the lack of 4K resolution, minor bugs and a stable performance, Alan Wake manages to lock you in with an excellent narrative and an engaging story, making a repetitive gameplay go unnoticed most of the time. Still, if we compare it to the original release, for sure this is the best version to get to play at the moment.

Prima Games - 8 / 10

Like Alan says… it’s not a lake; it’s an ocean.

If you dive down and explore its deepest depths, you will be rewarded. For that reason, and so much more, I highly recommend checking out Alan Wake Remastered.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8 / 10

Alan Wake remastered is a good upgrade, both for old fans and new. The new textures and the modernized lighting system make the game a lot prettier to look at. A pity the cutscenes are 30 fps locked and their animations a bit sluggish, though.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5 stars

Get ready to bring the light as you fight your way through the small town of Bright Falls to discover the truth behind the mysterious manuscript and the disappearance of your wife. But take care that the taken don't find you first.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Alan Wake Remastered is a solid visual update to a classic survival horror game that first debuted on the Xbox 360. Though the gameplay does on occasion feel a little dated by today’s standards, the game’s solid writing and upgraded graphics make it an excellent game nonetheless.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

Alan Wake was and still is an occasionally bizarre action horror game, with some lovely set-pieces, fun combat, and what I hope is a slightly tongue-in-cheek sense of self-importance. I think it stands up remarkably well 11 years after its original release and this Remaster is the best way to experience what I consider to be a modern classic.

VGC - 4 / 5 stars

An uneven action experience gets by on a huge amount of charm and a gorgeous visual treatment that more than holds its own ten years later.

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

Alan Wake Remastered compiles a polished compilation of the original game and its DLC. A few more extras would've been nice but this is the best way to play through Remedy's horror adventure.

Xbox Achievements - 80 / 100

Alan Wake is a fantastic game, while Alan Wake Remastered remains just a great port. Yes, it loses something with the new shiny visuals and a few things have not withstood the test of time, but everything else is still fantastic. Especially that story!

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is therefore an excellent opportunity to rediscover one of the most appreciated stages of Remedy's journey in the industry, waiting for the developer to enlighten us on the future of his intriguing shared universe.

COGconnected - 75 / 100

As a big fan of the original, the announcement of Alan Wake Remastered was a pleasant surprise. And while I enjoyed my time with it, I can’t help but feel like this is merely a tiny taste of what’s to come. Veterans of the franchise won’t find any reason to go back, and if they do, they may even find that the memory of playing Alan Wake is better than the game itself. Newcomers will find a lot to love; however, granted, they can grind through its annoyances.

GameByte - 7.5 / 10

Overall though, Alan Wake Remastered is the same game it was in 2010 but with slightly nicer looking graphics. If you enjoyed the original, you’ll most likely enjoy this. If you hated it, there’s nothing about this new release that will change your mind. And if you’re brand new to the series, it’s definitely the best place to start.

IGN - 7.5 / 10

Alan Wake remains one of remedy's best studio games and offers an exciting adventure that is recommended for anyone who has never had the chance to try the game before.

LevelUp - Spanish - 7.5 / 10

If an excuse exists to play Alan Wake its the Remastered version, although its age and repetitiveness can show.

DualShockers - 7 / 10

To me, Alan Wake is very much a product of its time. While its story elements hold up well, much of the gameplay feels dated when compared to the games of today. The engaging story will only take it so far, as cumbersome controls and repetitive, paint-by-numbers gameplay mean at times, players may be left a little bit bored or frustrated.

FingerGuns - 7 / 10

A graphical facelift will be appreciated by fans, and make it easier for newcomers to experience a cult classic. However the game itself has not been improved and shows its age across its dull repetitive combat, stilted animations and decade old ideas. The Remaster doesn’t shed new light on a game that might have been better remembered remaining in nostalgic darkness.

IGN - 7 / 10

Alan Wake Remastered is a fairly inessential upgrade for existing fans, but this moody mystery is still well worth a look for newcomers.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

Alan Wake Remastered's improvements are subtle and won't dramatically change the experience, but that also means it retains what made it so special in the first place. The atmosphere is chilling ,and the story holds up after over a decade, meaning it doesn't need a full-blown remake to still feel worthy of a modern retelling. Even with its flaws, Alan Wake Remastered is worth playing in 2021, especially for those who missed it the first time around.

Guardian - 3 / 5 stars

Writer Alan Wake searches for his missing wife while tackling a malevolent force disguised as darkness in this clunky but atmospheric reboot

Push Square - 6 / 10

For existing fans, this no-frills remaster is the best way to experience the 2010 game on modern consoles, but in 2021, much of the title simply doesn't hold up. Without the benefit of nostalgia, Alan Wake doesn't work as horror because it's not scary, as a thriller because long stretches of the game are fantastically boring, or as an action game because the combat is uninspired and repetitive. There's an interesting central mystery here, but like Alan Wake himself, you'll have to go through hell to find it.

Metro GameCentral - 5 / 10

The original was always highly simplistic and repetitive, and neither the passage of time or being in 4K can do anything to improve this disappointingly trivial actioner.

ACG - Buy

"A very good remaster with solid technical improvements where they can be applied and transparently allowing the Alan Wake story to be experienced again or the first time."

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Unscored

Alan Wake walked in the dark, so Quantum Break and Control could run explosively. And now it's back with a much needed visual update.

Polygon - Unscored

It’s the grim veneer that not only saves Alan Wake, but like his flashlight, burns through the darkness that is its cloying gameplay. Alan Wake’s sense of place, its themes, the mood it creates, makes it a classic, and nothing — not even time — can overshadow that.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

In light of Alan Wake's new relevance in Remedy's Connected Universe, it's well worth making the trip back to Bright Falls for this classic third-person horror shooter, but the remaster has little to tempt PC players over the original Steam release.

The Escapist - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake Remastered (5 October 2021), update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Xbox One: 900p30fps / 38,65GB
Xbox One X: 1440p30fps / 38,65GB
Xbox Series S: 1080p60fps / 38,65GB
Xbox Series X: 1440P60fps / 38,65GB

- The game does not support HDR on any platform.
- The distance has improved in the remaster. One and Series S have a similar setup, somewhat better on One X and with more items on Series X.
- Lower resolution textures on Xbox One.
- Some assets have been added in some areas (cones, fences,...), although anecdotally.
- As a personal opinion, some changes in the texturing or modeling of Alan Wake have not been good.
- Severe FPS issues in some cutscenes on Xbox One. This also causes sound out of sync.
- Xbox One experiences a lot of tearing in the most stressful moments.
- Problems loading some textures on Xbox One. It is necessary to return to the main menu to correct it.
- Unexpected crashes on One / One X.
- I think that D3T has done a job that could be improved (as happened with Mafia II: Definitive Edition or Shenmue HD).

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake Remastered (5 October 2021), update: Xbox consoles technical analysis
2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Xbox One: 900p30fps / 38,65GB
Xbox One X: 1440p30fps / 38,65GB
Xbox Series S: 1080p60fps / 38,65GB
Xbox Series X: 1440P60fps / 38,65GB

- The game does not support HDR on any platform.
- The distance has improved in the remaster. One and Series S have a similar setup, somewhat better on One X and with more items on Series X.
- Lower resolution textures on Xbox One.
- Some assets have been added in some areas (cones, fences,...), although anecdotally.
- As a personal opinion, some changes in the texturing or modeling of Alan Wake have not been good.
- Severe FPS issues in some cutscenes on Xbox One. This also causes sound out of sync.
- Xbox One experiences a lot of tearing in the most stressful moments.
- Problems loading some textures on Xbox One. It is necessary to return to the main menu to correct it.
- Unexpected crashes on One / One X.
- I think that D3T has done a job that could be improved (as happened with Mafia II: Definitive Edition or Shenmue HD).

Ironically enough, this makes it sound like if you have a base Xbox One, you're better off playing the original X360 version, as it runs flawlessy in back compat.

A game all about light and shadow and you wielding a flashlight as a primary weapon.

Developers then choose to not support raytracing or even HDR.

Fucking failure right there. That should've been the end of the contract. You fucked up at the very basics. No raytracing I can kiiiind of get, slightly, even though it'd be amazing in this game, but no HDR? Are you fucking stupid?

What fucking good is DLSS if the remaster isn't doing anything to warrant using it? I can already play Alan Wake at 4k perfectly fine, and it looks pretty much identical to this. What the fuck were they doing??

• True 4

On 9/28/2021 at 11:31 AM, stepee said:

This seems more like a good remaster for console only people to get a good resolution and 60fps along with some extra new bells and whistles, but nothing exciting if you already have Alan Wake on pc. Just looking at the minimum and recommended requirements, it doesn’t seem like this is pushing that much, which makes it an extra shame it seems there is no ray tracing.

You're not wrong, but I would add that the textures are better overall. Tip you into a purchase? Probably not! :p

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Exclusive Switch dev commentary: Just plays "Oof, sorry about that. Yeah we tried our best." every 20 steps or so.

ehhh they just need to do that thing where for switch they just take the last gen version and up res it to 900p, it could do that just fine 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You're not wrong, but I would add that the textures are better overall. Tip you into a purchase? Probably not! :p

Since I haven’t played American Nightmare, it would if that was included! It’s a shame just because it’s a waste of a remaster, for a game that could have been an awesome candidate for a remaster. I would much rather have waited another generation for it to get the ray tracing/hdr that would be amazing with this game if that’s what it took.

This is UE4 right? Might be worth a pick up on sale for modding one day then, should be able to just hook in UE4’s ray tracing, dlss and then run auto hdr maybe? 

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

No, it's a branch of Remedy's proprietary Northlight engine.

Well fuck lol. At least Remedy is a decent company and seems to like their fans enough, maybe they’ll do it some day for a pro patch or something then roll it to pc.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well fuck lol. At least Remedy is a decent company and seems to like their fans enough, maybe they’ll do it some day for a pro patch or something then roll it to pc.

Don't hold your breath.

Remedy "co-developed" the game with d3t and I have a feeling that d3t did the majority of the heavy lifting on the project.

This is such a fun throwback to the early days of the 360 back when the heavy hitters of that gen first started rolling out (Alan Wake, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears, etc). I don't think I've gotten to replay it until now.  In retrospect it feels like Remedy's answer to Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2 and Stephen King inspiration nonwithstanding.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake Remastered (5 October 2021), update: Digital Foundry PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Original Comparison
Alan-Wake-Remastered-c.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

“We present the vision we wanted… and that’s without HDR”…

The decision was made not to include ray-tracing in the game. Given that it’s a game about a man with a torch and light is one of the key mechanics of the game, there will be some who would have been a little disappointed by this. Was it just a case that it would take too long to implement?

Puha: In short, yes, but there’s a variety of reasons. It was never really on the cards because the remaster is the old game engine, which is Remedy’s tech, upgraded to the present, as opposed to, let’s say, copy and pasting the old game onto the current Northlight engine which just would have been way too much work, and then we wouldn’t really even be talking about the remaster at this point. So that wouldn’t have been realistic.

So some time was spent with d3t looking into doing the raytracing but ultimately the amount of time we had and resources, and just the amount of effort that would have taken was just better spent elsewhere.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake Remastered (5 October 2021), update: new interview with Remedy discusses lack of ray-tracing and HDR
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Basically they wanted to make a quick buck. Shocking!

I appreciate them just basically saying that! Just some quick epic money, shame it’s a game that could have been great with a real remaster/remake some day, now they’ll probably never bother since this exists.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I appreciate them just basically saying that! Just some quick epic money, shame it’s a game that could have been great with a real remaster/remake some day, now they’ll probably never bother since this exists.

Perhaps if there is an Alan Wake sequel they'll revisit some of the old areas so you get the feel of a remaster while having a whole new experience.