RIP in Peace, Amazon Prime 20% Pre-Order Discount

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Why? A lot of people like to play stuff on day one. We've been waiting for moths and years for these games. 

Because availability of physical media is not a limitation in this day and age. Also, the physical and digital versions are the same price on day 1. So unless there is an incentive to preorder (such as a credit or discount) then there really is no point. 

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Because availability of physical media is not a limitation in this day and age. Also, the physical and digital versions are the same price on day 1. So unless there is an incentive to preorder (such as a credit or discount) then there really is no point. 

Given that I buy most of my physical media on Amazon, there's no reason for me not to preorder the games I know I'm going to want on release day. Saves me a trip to the store and I get my game on release day.

Seems like a reasonable action to me.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Given that I buy most of my physical media on Amazon, there's no reason for me not to preorder the games I know I'm going to want on release day. Saves me a trip to the store and I get my game on release day.

Seems like a reasonable action to me.

That makes sense. But I really only buy digital for games. There's 0 reason to preorder.

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

That makes sense. But I really only buy digital for games. There's 0 reason to preorder.

Up until VERY recently, both Best Buy AND Amazon gave you discounts and credit for pre-ordering discs. i would literally wait until the day before the game came out, sometimes HOURS, place my pre-order and receive the discount and the credit. I have'nt paid full price for a day one release in years :shrug:

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, a lot of us still use physical media, sooooooo...

Dinosaurs... :P

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Up until VERY recently, both Best Buy AND Amazon gave you discounts and credit for pre-ordering discs. i would literally wait until the day before the game came out, sometimes HOURS, place my pre-order and receive the discount and the credit. I have'nt paid full price for a day one release in years :shrug:

Yeah. That's the only reason I'd preorder (as I mentioned) but I haven't seen an incentive that outweighs the convenience of digital for me.

21 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm really split. Pretty much any multiplat game, I'm buying on PC and of course, that's digital. I'm split when it comes to the Switch, I have a lot digital, but plenty of physical on the shelf, too.

PS4, I just haven't felt any reason to go digital, unless it's a PSN exclusive.

So they raised the price of Prime and now are slowly stripping away the benefits of Prime.  Great service.  I used to shop at Amazon a lot, but their are less reasons to these days.  Other stores are just as agressive on pricing now and honestly, I'd rather buy elsewhere instead of giving my money to Jeff Bezos when possible.  

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm really split. Pretty much any multiplat game, I'm buying on PC and of course, that's digital. I'm split when it comes to the Switch, I have a lot digital, but plenty of physical on the shelf, too.

PS4, I just haven't felt any reason to go digital, unless it's a PSN exclusive.

How come you split on the Switch? Storage space?

How come you split on the Switch? Storage space?

Some games I want physical copies of, some games I prefer to have on my system at all times for easy play.

Plus, my husband and I play some of the same games and there's no need to buy multiple copies digitally. Why buy Mario Odyssey twice? Octopath Traveler? Bayonetta? You get the idea.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Some games I want physical copies of, some games I prefer to have on my system at all times for easy play.

Plus, my husband and I play some of the same games and there's no need to buy multiple copies digitally. Why buy Mario Odyssey twice? Octopath Traveler? Bayonetta? You get the idea.

Right. I don't have the problem of my wife wanting to play games.

I am lonely. :P

Right. I don't have the problem of my wife wanting to play games.

I am lonely. :P

I mean, as long as you have some hobbies in common with your spouse, it's okay. My husband couldn't care less about my sports obsession(though at least he goes to games with me) or hunting(though he loves the products from it).

13 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah. That's the only reason I'd preorder (as I mentioned) but I haven't seen an incentive that outweighs the convenience of digital for me.

In some instances, $25 savings is incentive enough for me. Plus the ability to sell the game when I finish it if I so chose and nearly recoup 100% of my costs is icing on the cake. 

Tinfoil hat time: This is definitely a move by the publishers to remove these discounts in order to bring more parity to digital pre-orders/sales. This is a calculated step to forcing the extinction of physical media. This is a step towards Gamestop's extinction (does anyone care at this point?). When you go to BB/Target etc.... you will just be purchasing those little credit cards for the games you want. Takes up a lot less room in the stores too. A win/win for retailers and the publishers alike. 

Now Im further tightening the straps on my tinfoil hat: The platforms (steam/sony/ms/nintendo) are all on board with this as they can capture the revenue for the digital sales. Why even go to the store when you can just buy it right on the platform of your choice? Also, we will see less and less discounts on new releases for several months after launch (unless sales are bad).  Somewhere there is a connection to lootboxes and that monetization platform not going over so well on consoles. "If these entitled gamers arent going to buy lootboxes, then they get no discounts on the price of the game" - some corp exec somewhere, probably.

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

Sony/MS/Nintendo still need the stores to sell there hardware -- and stores still sell the majority of games.  It's hard to gift a digital game (which believe it or not still represents a huge amount of games sales).

They will continue to sell the hardware. As I mentioned, you will be buy one of those credit cards with a code on the back. Takes up way less space. 

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

They will continue to sell the hardware. As I mentioned, you will be buy one of those credit cards with a code on the back. Takes up way less space. 

Retailers don't make any margin on the hardware.  They only agree to sell it, so that they can sell accessories and software.

2 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Retailers don't make any margin on the hardware.  They only agree to sell it, so that they can sell accessories and software.

and they will continue to sell the software, just not a disc version. As I mentioned, this is actually better for them. Takes us a lot less space and leaves them more room for other shit to tell. 

7 minutes ago, atom631 said:

and they will continue to sell the software, just not a disc version. As I mentioned, this is actually better for them. Takes us a lot less space and leaves them more room for other shit to tell. 

Why would you buy a card from Amazon, enter a 12 digit code on your console, when you can just click buy on your console?

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

Why would you buy a card from Amazon, enter a 12 digit code on your console, when you can just click buy on your console?

bc amazon. If you want a gift a game to someone, you have amazon GC/Credits, etc, you want to put it on your amazon CC and get 5% back, etc... theres a multitude of reasons.