235k jobs in August, not good!

virus goes up, jobs go down, pretty simple math here. Swift approval of vaccine approval for under 12s is the only way to get this under control given how much naturally derived immunity there is in many conservative middle aged morons and people naturally don't want their kids to get sick or send them to places with other sick kids

I've been noticing a lot of stores with help wanted signs too.  But those are low paying jobs with crappy (or no) benefits, which ownership not willing to give an inch on wages.  Altogether, the economy is probably in for a rough time, and the Democrats will get blamed for it.  Such is life. 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I've been noticing a lot of stores with help wanted signs too.  But those are low paying jobs with crappy (or no) benefits, which ownership not willing to give an inch on wages.  Altogether, the economy is probably in for a rough time, and the Democrats will get blamed for it.  Such is life. 

Every fast food drive thru has huge now hiring signs up. They have "competitive wages"

If they want to tackle this, one of two things has to happen:

1. Increase overall costs to compensate a rise in wages (and then actually raise salaries)

2. Lower executive compensation and carve a piece out of stockholder profits (and again, raise salaries)

Honestly, I don't perceive them taking either approach. But either way, both of those approaches require something similar, although for some reason I just can't seem to figure out what that one something might be. I wonder if it has something to do with the items in brackets.

I don't think pundits and economists have quite grasped how COVID forever changed the psyche of people and workers. Nearly 1 in 500 Americans alive in spring 2020 have died, from COVID-19.

I think it's caused most people to fundamentally reevaluate what they want from work and life.

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

I don't think pundits and economists have quite grasped how COVID forever changed the psyche of people and workers. Nearly 1 in 500 Americans alive in spring 2020 have died, from COVID-19.

I think it's caused most people to fundamentally reevaluate what they want from work and life.

Americans needed a period like this to toughen the fuck up and actually make changes in their lives.

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

Americans needed a period like this to toughen the fuck up and actually make changes in their lives.

They are. 

That's why a bunch of business owners are crying about how "no one wants to work anymore."

Americans toughened up and told their shitty bosses they weren't going to work jobs for the shit wages they were being offered. 

Don't think much can be done at this point aside from working on vaccination.  A lot of this growth deceleration is due to COVID-related supply bottlenecks that there's no real policy fix for.  That includes the supply of low-skilled labor.

An optimistic interpretation, though, is that part of this can be seen as some of the necessary pain that must be endured to shift from an economy where labor power is actually, like, a thing that exists, after labor being essentially powerless since the Volcker recession in the late 70s.  Businesses have to adjust their wage and cost structures after 30+ years of getting workers on the cheap.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Americans toughened up and told their shitty bosses they weren't going to work jobs for the shit wages they were being offered. 

Not sure they toughened up when governments are handing out cash and simultaneously barring large numbers of tenants from being evicted despite being months and months behind on rent.

This is why the Dems need to really push to make structural changes that will be very popular as it is difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.

Otherwise you’re relying on the general public to more or less unionize and refuse to go back to work once these programs and protections fade away. I don’t think that sort of coalition is going to last very long.

50 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Not sure they toughened up when governments are handing out cash and simultaneously barring large numbers of tenants from being evicted despite being months and months behind on rent.

This is why the Dems need to really push to make structural changes that will be very popular as it is difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.

Otherwise you’re relying on the general public to more or less unionize and refuse to go back to work once these programs and protections fade away. I don’t think that sort of coalition is going to last very long.

Yeah once the savings from stimmys and UI is run out we may just be close to where we started. 

That said, the childcare component is complex and makes a big difference. A lot of families are down elder caretakers or parents, and some are staying at home rather than work, and taking the pay cut. You can't really throw money at fixing these issues at least until kids are vaccinated, and even then that might not be enough!