Jump to content
~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Reputator

PC Tech NVIDIA launches the GeForce RTX 2000 series, with breakthrough....prices

Recommended Posts

AMD's Navi will only be midranged in 2019 (rumor), so 2060/2070 performance at best.

 

We have to wait until 2020 for AMD and Intel's new architectures that may be able to compete with the 2080 Ti.

 

The good news is AMD's R&D budget has jumped the last couple of years. With Zen finally bringing in more revenue, I expect AMD will be competitive again in the near future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Guess is that AMD is basically, though unofficially, out of the high end GPU industry. They are likely much more focused on how to produce best budget to mid range cards that they can sell at competitive prices and that fit well into next generation consoles. Its a near sighted strategy, but I can hardly fault them with Nvidia dominating the high end market and Intel poised to step into the breach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My Guess is that AMD is basically, though unofficially, out of the high end GPU industry. They are likely much more focused on how to produce best budget to mid range cards that they can sell at competitive prices and that fit well into next generation consoles. Its a near sighted strategy, but I can hardly fault them with Nvidia dominating the high end market and Intel poised to step into the breach. 

 

I think they're out of the high end GPU game until the second half of 2020 when their new architecture comes out.  AMD knows that GCN ran out of room for meaningful tweaks on the high end and they know it doesn't scale past a certain point. AMD still is making Vega on 7nm for datacenters/deep learning, and Lisa mentioned that they are focusing a lot of the new R&D money on AI software, so it seems they have every intention of building high end graphics chips, it's just they have to wait for the successor to GCN before they try to fight Nvidia at that tier.  It would be a mistake to think AMD is out permanently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

 

I think they're out of the high end GPU game until the second half of 2020 when their new architecture comes out.  AMD knows that GCN ran out of room for meaningful tweaks on the high end and they know it doesn't scale past a certain point. AMD still is making Vega on 7nm for datacenters/deep learning, and Lisa mentioned that they are focusing a lot of the new R&D money on AI software, so it seems they have every intention of building high end graphics chips, it's just they have to wait for the successor to GCN before they try to fight Nvidia at that tier.  It would be a mistake to think AMD is out permanently.

Hmmm, I certainly hope this is true, but they will be returning to an even more competitive market than the one they fell out of last year! Don't get me wrong, I miss the days of AMD offering up the muscle car, all speed no frills, equivalent of power compared to Nvidia's Lincoln town car luxury approach! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Hmmm, I certainly hope this is true, but they will be returning to an even more competitive market than the one they fell out of last year! Don't get me wrong, I miss the days of AMD offering up the muscle car, all speed no frills, equivalent of power compared to Nvidia's Lincoln town car luxury approach! 

 

My guess is 2020 and 2021 will be some of the most interesting and competitive GPU years we have ever seen. Intel will be new to the scene and will probably have something fairly competitive. AMD will launch their brand new from scratch designs and it will be on par with Nvidia.

 

AMD is able to do a lot without much money and now they are incrementally increasing R&D in areas they know they can compete. The important thing to note with AMD is their leadership is rock solid now, unlike the years prior to Lisa Su running the show. I wouldn't bet against them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another prediction:

AMD will continue to come out with GPUs 8-12 months after Nvidia that use 50% more power, and don't compete at the mid/high-end on performance

Intel will launch with crappy drivers, offer only mid-range GPUs, and charge more than Nvidia/AMD

 

And the rest of us will continue to buy Nvidia GPUs to use with our G-Sync monitors, grumble about the price, but be happy that there is a high-performance alternative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did they switch from GTX? I seriously thought these were AMD models for a moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jason said:

Why did they switch from GTX? I seriously thought these were AMD models for a moment.

RTX = Raytracing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

RTX = Raytracing

 

Then what was GTX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

Then what was GTX?

 

Nothing officially. It just is. I always thought it was something like "geometry and textures," but no, it just is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GTX is NVIDIA's top tier cards. Its a visual indication of power. It doesnt stand for anything.

Previously they used: GT>GTS>GS>SE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go on the nVidia site, everything in the 10 series is GTX 10xx. So I don't see how "top tier cards" is what it could be for. And wouldn't that imply that RTX isn't their top tier this time around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason said:

If you go on the nVidia site, everything in the 10 series is GTX 10xx. So I don't see how "top tier cards" is what it could be for. And wouldn't that imply that RTX isn't their top tier this time around?

It started that way and has now morphed into just another part of the their nonsensical marketing puke. Trust me, its the way its meant to be played! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Previously they used: GT>GTS>GS>SE.

Can't forget the good ol' "Ultra" cards as well (yeah yeah, not an abbreviation, but still).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, morph89 said:

Can't forget the good ol' "Ultra" cards as well (yeah yeah, not an abbreviation, but still).

 good call! I forgot about those! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Massdriver said:

 

My guess is 2020 and 2021 will be some of the most interesting and competitive GPU years we have ever seen.

 

Oh yeah. It's gonna be the most exciting time in graphics since the late 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder what's going to be a worthwhile upgrade from my 980. I want to do it sometime relatively soon, I just don't want to break the bank. Just because I can technically afford something, doesn't meant I want to throw away that much money on something that'll devalue that fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Wonder what's going to be a worthwhile upgrade from my 980. I want to do it sometime relatively soon, I just don't want to break the bank. Just because I can technically afford something, doesn't meant I want to throw away that much money on something that'll devalue that fast.

 

Just wait for reviews to come out for this next generation. That will be crucial to any sort of decision making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s as though nVidia figures out that people will pay crazy amounts of money because of crypto currency. I’m not saying they’ll sell to miners but what I am saying is there were plenty of dumbasses paying $1000+ for a 1080ti because they really wanted one for gaming and now nVidia is being shameless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why Are Nvidia's GeForce RTX GPUs So Expensive?

"Analyst Jon Peddie suggests that the cost may just be a result of what it takes to make this kind of hardware.


“Simple cost-of-goods… “ he told Tom’s Hardware over email. “These giant (and they are really big) chips cost a lot to make and test, and the huge amount of memory is expensive plus the cooling systems - just [cost of goods]. There's no rip off here, no conspiracy.”

But it could also be for a variety of other reasons. Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD, suggested it could be due to inventory or availability.

“I think they are likely trying to price these as very premium products,” Baker said. “Certainly if there is a significant amount of series 10 cards floating around they would want to at least draw that down somewhat.”

Baker also suggested that they can use the high pricing for a gradual release as the company better understands demand: “The market for cards has been so crazy the last couple of years, between the explosion in interest in gaming, the cryptomining bubble and the upgrade in quality and demand that they would be doing themselves a disservice to come out at lower prices,” he said. Lastly, he theorizes that high prices could be a way to protect against limited inventories after the launch."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

 

You’re buying 3 instead of 4 then? :confused:

Let’s be reasonable here, SLI support has been reduced to two GPUs only this generation! :sun:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Let’s be reasonable here, SLI support has been reduced to two GPUs only this generation! :sun:

 

Two for games, one for the e-peen

:sun: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×