Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (22 March 2019) OT - Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 . . . (Update: GOTY Edition coming October 28!)

Pikachu

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Firecrackers? I dont have any firecrackers.  I beat the Horse guy straight up.

Firecrackers become super useful especially later on, definitely get on that shit. Aaaand...I totally forgot where/how you even get those. It basically stuns most enemies for a decent time window. 

Also, animals hate loud noises.

4 hours ago, eggydoo said:

I kind of had the same question lol.  I think from the description, it is a wider AOE.

I haven't noticed much from an upgraded shuriken either although the description makes it sound like it'll stick on them and keep spinning.  It's to a point I haven't even upgraded any other tools cause I rarely use it anyway.  It really seems like firecrackers are the best tool in the game. 

Kind of brings up a good topic of which tools are actually useful.  I used the axe at first quite a bit to break posture dmg, but now that I have samurai down slash double move, I do that more often as it doesn't cost spirit.  The sabimaru seems to be a quick easy way to take out middle tier enemies.

Found this vid on youtube.

If you haven't noticed, on the upgrade paths, you can hit Triangle (or whatever you're playing on) to switch to a second window which shows you which moves it adds. The shuriken can be held down on R2 for and you toss a spinning triple thing that sticks on them for a second, I use it a lot. 

Firecracker was more the question for me because I keep using it mainly in boss fights and I guess that's why I haven't seen the natural improvement not having used it against groups. Looks like it adds a 360 AoE. 

I really dig the umbrella myself, it's gotten me out of a lot of obnoxious attacks later on. 

Really started getting into this finally and holy crap am I having a hard time breaking myself of bad Dark Souls habits haha. 

So I just wanna make sure I’m kinda doing it right. It seems with how ridiculously fragile your character is that sneaking past entire groups of enemies is encouraged? Or am I’m screwing myself in the long run by not killing enough guys to be leveled up properly(not even fully sure I know how the leveling works)

Regardless of the typical early From game confusion I’m digging it a lot. 

6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Really started getting into this finally and holy crap am I having a hard time breaking myself of bad Dark Souls habits haha. 

So I just wanna make sure I’m kinda doing it right. It seems with how ridiculously fragile your character is that sneaking past entire groups of enemies is encouraged? Or am I’m screwing myself in the long run by not killing enough guys to be leveled up properly(not even fully sure I know how the leveling works)

Regardless of the typical early From game confusion I’m digging it a lot. 

You really only need to kill the regular enemies for Sen (money), skill points and consumables.  Don't forget you can stealth and de-aggro.  I typically clear out an area so I can explore the area.  There are tons of little off path routes that lead to loot.

4 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

Ah.   I've been taking my sweet time with this game.  Just got to the corrupted monk last night.

Spoiler

Divine Confetti, Red Sugar, 1 2 firecracker, 1 2 firecracker, 1 2 firecracker, 1 2 firecracker, 1 2 firecracker, 1 2 firecracker, 1 2 snap seed, 1 2 snap seed, 1 2 snap seed, 1 2 ash, 1 2 ash, 1 2 ash, 1 2 ash

On 4/6/2019 at 2:14 PM, Bacon said:

Those are what saved the game for me.

Yea I take that back. I just needed a break. I rarely play through new games this relatively quickly for my standards and the difficulty was wearing me down.

Palace area is splendid and I dig the gimmick boss.

Sekiro is the shortest Soulsborne game. And that is based off of NG+ length. The Soulsborne games take longer to complete in NG+ than Sekiro. 

This is not me saying anything about your skill or anything like that. I just wanted to say it was the shortest. 

The 400-year-old shinobi manuals that definitely inspired Sekiro’s prosthetic tools (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)

Ninjas love scrolls. It’s just a ninja thing, don’t ask. They refuse to read anything that hasn’t first been rolled up into scroll form so they can unroll it again and dramatically ponder its contents. Luckily for us, they left a few of these scrolls behind. In the interest of important ninja science, I took a look at some translations of these aged texts, such as the Bansenshukai, the Koka Ryu Ninjutsu Densho, the Shinobi Hiden, and the Yoshimori Hyakushu to find out whether any of Sekiro’s tools, items, and techniques have much historical precedent. And they definitely do. Allow me to impart this secret knowledge upon you.

Yeah, that update is pointless for me. No plans on playing this game again unless there is DLC. Like, I sometimes go back to DS, but I don't really see myself going back to Sekiro. I also think that this games is 8/10 now that I have had some time away from it. If I wanted to be a dick I'd say this game was a 79/100. It isn't a perfect 8/10 for me, but 7/10 is too low for this game.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Where did you get stuck? You definitely have to be in the right headspace for a game like this.

The drunkard boss. I could prolly beat him if I had the time and some patience. Sekiro isn’t something you can just boot up for a quick go around.  lol

40 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

5:30 AM - Wake up, go for a quick jog

6:00 AM - Put the dogs out, eat breakfast, take a quick shower

6:45 AM - Boot up Sekiro and kill Owl

6:55 AM - Upload to YouTube

7:05 AM - Brag about it on D1P and go to work

Very nice.  I had such a difficult time with this boss.  I ended up just using mortal blade for every hit since it causes dmg even if he blocks.

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

The drunkard boss. I could prolly beat him if I had the time and some patience. Sekiro isn’t something you can just boot up for a quick go around.  lol

You can do it, I believe in you.  This guy is laughably easy once you figure out the patterns.  Kinda like old school megaman or any metroidvania boss fight.

10 hours ago, Man of Culture said:

Super Saiyan Isshin is a pos.....

i'm glad i'm not the only person that felt this fight was BS lol.  I got the 1st phase down but the rest I had to do the run and poke method.  Props to anyone who actually squared him up and won.

Man this game is frustrating. It’s not the difficulty I have a problem with it’s the repetitive gameplay. Like when you lose to a mini boss or boss you have to defeat every thing again to attempt the boss fight again which sucks. If you could just pick up right at the boss fight the game would be so much more enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Man of Culture said:

You can literally run past everything.

Sometimes yes that works. Other times though you get fucked up real quick where you have to use some healing or the enemies will linger around making the boss fight near impossible without getting rid of them first.