Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

The way it zoomed in on that character at the end of the trailer, as if we were all supposed to know who they were and go “holy shit!”, would’ve had meaning if it were… I don’t know, a character from the franchise people know, and not a new character? Maybe, Johnny Gatt or something?

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The way it zoomed in on that character at the end of the trailer, as if we were all supposed to know who they were and go “holy shit!”, would’ve had meaning if it were… I don’t know, a character from the franchise people know, and not a new character? Maybe, Johnny Gatt or something?

But, but.. the side of her head is shaved!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Totally interested in this and I think they did the right thing here. They are right, there really is nowhere else to take franchise via its old trajectory, thy kind of covered it and we have those games still.  

Personally I think Saints 4 was fucking awesome and wouldn’t mind just a brand new city, that gameplay, and a new story hook, but I don’t think as many people want that.

But who knows they could always do dlc that turns it into that, or continue to get more outrageous from this new starting point. P

The end of Saints Row 4 gave them a time machine... they could've gone back to the first Saints Row and accidentally fucked something up Butterfly Effect-style, thus creating an alternate reality and they literally could have rebooted SR to go in an entirely different direction, but with the same characters.

I just pulled a scenario out of my ass that's probably ten times better than what these people are paid to do.

12 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The end of Saints Row 4 gave them a time machine... they could've gone back to the first Saints Row and accidentally fucked something up Butterfly Effect-style, thus creating an alternate reality and they literally could have rebooted SR to go in an entirely different direction, but with the same characters.

I just pulled a scenario out of my ass that's probably ten times better than what these people are paid to do.

I mean that’s fine, I didn’t know anyone cared about the characters in SR so I wasn’t thinking about that part. 

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I didn’t know anyone knew who the characters in Saints Row were.

3 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Johnny Gat , Shaundi, and Kinzie.  Not really attached to them, but I know who they are.

Yeah they make a big enough deal about who the characters are inside the game for you to know who they are.

The Saints Row games are some of my favorites, I especially like the second and third games which I’ve played several times.

I’m not really sure what I think of this new Saints Row game, it definitely has a different vibe to it. It kind of looks like Saints Row meets Watch Dogs.

I think that it will be good and I’m looking forward to it, but I’m not sure if I will like it as much as the older games. We’ll see.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row announced for PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 25 February 2022, update: "Welcome to Santo Ileso" trailer with gameplay footage
2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Okay I've gone back and looked at the characters from the earlier games.

Shaundi_-_character_model_in_Saints_Row_

Saints_Row_website_-_Gangs_-_The_Saints_

Pierce_-_Saints_Row_The_Third_promo.png

These characters have always been parodies of edgy stereotypes, the new ones really aren't different in that respect at all.

You're right. But these new characters don't come off as parodies, they just look like cliche's.

It will all really come down to whether or not the characters realize how cliche they are. If Volition can show the type of ridiculous self-awareness they've shown in the past, it could work.

If Badass Latina Car Chick is nothing more than Badass Latina Car Chick, it's a fail.

I'm tired of every hispanic girl being Michelle Rodriguez.

6 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

You're right. But these new characters don't come off as parodies, they just look like cliche's.

It will all really come down to whether or not the characters realize how cliche they are. If Volition can show the type of ridiculous self-awareness they've shown in the past, it could work.

If Badass Latina Car Chick is nothing more than Badass Latina Car Chick, it's a fail.

I'm tired of every hispanic girl being Michelle Rodriguez.

Again, the characters from the original Saints Row, especially 1-3, are cliche as hell. I think a lot of this is fans of the series aging out of the cliches they're using for the new game.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, the characters from the original Saints Row, especially 1-3, are cliche as hell. I think a lot of this is fans of the series aging out of the cliches they're using for the new game.

They were cliche, but again, that was the joke. The question remains, are they still in on the joke? We'll just have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "First Look At The World of Santo Ileso" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "First Look At The Driving And Car Combat" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Criminal Ventures" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Criminal Ventures" and Opening Mission gameplay
9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Gameplay looks great. Is The Boss Character locked or are they customizable? I'm starting to get the impression that the Boss character is static which hasn't been the case in the past.

I think it will be customizable. I think they just created something that looks like it could be a main character, like Shepard in ME, for all the marketing and videos.

53 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think it will be customizable. I think they just created something that looks like it could be a main character, like Shepard in ME, for all the marketing and videos.

Looks like you're right according to this Game Informer artcle

friends_walk.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

2022's Saints Row reboots the series with a new cast of characters. Learn all about the team you're leading right here.

The initial class of Santo Ileso’s Saints includes four characters from disparate backgrounds. The customizable protagonist (who later becomes known as “The Boss”) starts out in Marshall, a tech-heavy, highly trained faction. Meanwhile, Neenah gets her start in Los Panteros and Kevin comes from The Idols, the other two rival gangs found in Santo Ileso.

• Thanks 1

saints-row-car-combat.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Control territory, build shady businesses, and race around town in these side activities of Santo Ileso.

In your time with Saints Row, you don't have to spend all of it locked in the critical path of the main campaign. There's a big world to explore around Santo Ileso, with all kinds of shenanigans to involve yourself in. Do you want to start a business or three and make some extra duckets or earn cool rewards like new weapons, customizations, or cars? How about meeting the locals and helping them out with whatever wild tasks need to be done?  Or maybe you just want to grow the footprint of The Saints across the various neighborhoods in the city. Here's a few examples of the side activities you can find in Saints Row.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "The Side Hustles of Saints Row" (Game Informer)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 23 August 2022) - Information Thread, update: release delayed to 23 August 2022